Vehicle excise duty for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That just goes to show that a lot if people in DVLA don't have enough work to do if they can produce a document like that.
Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That just goes to show that a lot if people in DVLA don't have enough work to do if they can produce a document like that.
Allan

What are they supposed to do other than try their best to interpret the law as they see it? Advice based on legislation is necessarily dry and technical.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
so does this mean different costs for VEL i.e. euro 5 being cheaper than standard Private HGV?

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
so does this mean different costs for VEL i.e. euro 5 being cheaper than standard Private HGV?

From my reading of the V149 document, it depends on your vehicle weight.

If you are Euro 5 compliant and under 3500Kg (Class 36) you will only pay £140 yearly but, if your vehicle weighs over 3500Kg you will be clased as P/HGV and pay £165 yearly (Class 01) or £160 if you are classified as Reduced Pollution (Class 45).

I suppose you have to look and study your V5C to discover what VEL Class your vehicle is in.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
So will they do this automatically i.e. when they send the reminder? Or will we need to take action to change it? Sorry if I'm being dim ...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Allan

You would not believe how many enquiries D.V.L.A. deal with a day. I think they do a brilliant job. BUSBY:Smile:

alhod

Free Member
Oct 3, 2013
Cornwall and Charente
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Found this very useful info on the UK Motorhomes site.

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-road-tax.shtml

Don

Thanks Don - that is most useful. I am thinking of getting my Euro 5 compliant van replated to it''s max 3850 kg. Previously that would have given a saving of some £100 in ved but now it will actually cost an extra £20. That sort of seems logical, at least!

Alan

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I honestly think that if i paid £40 to £50 grand on a van i would be worrying if my road tax was £150 or £250, the difference is a cup of Costa Coffee a week. Big deal.:roflmto:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Like many I found it difficult to understand the document concerning VED rates, that appear to have come into force as of August this year, but I received my reminder for my mh VED which runs out on 31st October and renewed it on line as I always do; the cost is the same as last year.

My mh is pre 2001, weight 3850 and outside the new emissions qualifications and I paid £225 as PLG which is the same as last year.

I don't know if this helps anyone

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Like many I found it difficult to understand the document concerning VED rates, that appear to have come into force as of August this year, but I received my reminder for my mh VED which runs out on 31st October and renewed it on line as I always do; the cost is the same as last year.

My mh is pre 2001, weight 3850 and outside the new emissions qualifications and I paid £225 as PLG which is the same as last year.

normanandsue,

As you are over the 3500Kgs, shouldn't you be paying £165 annually for PHGV? Our 4500Kgs MH was taxed by previous owners as a PLG, but when I questioned DVLA about it, the vehicle was inspected, recategorized, retaxed, and any monies owing to me, were refunded. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

My concern would be the total weight of the vehicle and equipment.

If you know you are 3850Kg (P/HGV) then you can load to that weight, but, if you are stopped and weighed, the authorities will go by the recorded weight on the V5C which as you say is 3500Kg (PLG).

You have the potential to be pulled for being overweight and taken of the road.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I understood normanandsue to be plated at 3850Kgs, (rather than weighing 3850Kgs) hence my suggestion that they may be paying over the odds for VED.

Regards,

Jock.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
From my reading of the V149 document, it depends on your vehicle weight.

If you are Euro 5 compliant and under 3500Kg (Class 36) you will only pay £140 yearly but, if your vehicle weighs over 3500Kg you will be clased as P/HGV and pay £165 yearly (Class 01) or £160 if you are classified as Reduced Pollution (Class 45).

I suppose you have to look and study your V5C to discover what VEL Class your vehicle is in.:thumb:

Hi, we are waiting for delivery of our new Hobby, which is on a Renault Master, Euro 5 compliant and 3500kg. I have checked the DVLA vehicle info and it says we should be paying £225 per year.

Our last motorhome was exactly the same base unit but the weight was 3850kg and we paid £165 a year.

Surely we should be paying £140? I agree it is not a lot of money to dispute, but why should the DVLA get our £85 per year?

Ginny

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I have checked the V5 Registration document and it is registered as a Private/Light Goods vehicle. This means that it was not registered correctly with the CO2 emissions.

"Where original first or second stage base vehicles are converted by manufacturers to a motorhome, the conversion process will affect the original emissions figure stated by the first stage base vehicle manufacturer.

Therefore, most motorhome/motorcaravan manufacturers/converters do not quote a CO2 emissions figure on the final stage CoC. Accordingly, the CO2 emissions field on the final stage CoC will normally be left blank when registering the vehicle via Automatic First Registration & Licensing AFRL or with a V55/4 form.

Where no CO2 emissions are present on the final stage CoC for the finished vehicle it must be licensed in the Private Light Goods or Private Heavy Goods Vehicle taxation class, depending on weight.

If however the motorhome/motorcaravan manufacturer/converter has stated a CO2 emissions figure on the final stage CoC for the finished vehicle then the motorhome/motorcaravan should be licensed in a vehicle taxation class based on its CO2 emissions. Where the CO2 figure is provided on the final stage CoC this will be captured and recorded on the vehicle record."

I have just emailed Timberland with the above information and hopefully they will be able to sort it out. They have certainly been brilliant so far.

Ginny

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi, we are waiting for delivery of our new Hobby, which is on a Renault Master, Euro 5 compliant and 3500kg. I have checked the DVLA vehicle info and it says we should be paying £225 per year.

Our last motorhome was exactly the same base unit but the weight was 3850kg and we paid £165 a year.

Surely we should be paying £140? I agree it is not a lot of money to dispute, but why should the DVLA get our £85 per year?

Ginny

This is a B****y minefield:

I have double checked the V149 document and it would appear that only Euro 5 engines registered between 1st Jan 2009 and 31st Dec 2010 are entitled to the £140 VED. (Tax Class 36)

As yours is a new registration and only 3500Kg (PLG) and over 1500cc you must pay £225. (Tax Class 11)

It seems to me silly that when you upgrade to 3850Kg (P/HGV) you only pay £165/160. (Tax Class 01/45) even though the actual emmisions from the vehicle have not changed.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi I have checked the V5 Registration document and it is registered as a Private/Light Goods vehicle. This means that it was not registered correctly with the CO2 emissions.

"Where original first or second stage base vehicles are converted by manufacturers to a motorhome, the conversion process will affect the original emissions figure stated by the first stage base vehicle manufacturer.

Therefore, most motorhome/motorcaravan manufacturers/converters do not quote a CO2 emissions figure on the final stage CoC. Accordingly, the CO2 emissions field on the final stage CoC will normally be left blank when registering the vehicle via Automatic First Registration & Licensing AFRL or with a V55/4 form.

Where no CO2 emissions are present on the final stage CoC for the finished vehicle it must be licensed in the Private Light Goods or Private Heavy Goods Vehicle taxation class, depending on weight.

If however the motorhome/motorcaravan manufacturer/converter has stated a CO2 emissions figure on the final stage CoC for the finished vehicle then the motorhome/motorcaravan should be licensed in a vehicle taxation class based on its CO2 emissions. Where the CO2 figure is provided on the final stage CoC this will be captured and recorded on the vehicle record."

I have just emailed Timberland with the above information and hopefully they will be able to sort it out. They have certainly been brilliant so far.

Ginny

Will Timberland be able to give a final stage emmisions test result to go on the CoC document?.

Are Motorcaravans entitled to the emmisions VED calculations?. If so you are likely to pay a larger amount for the initial Tax Disc and you would have to be lower than Band G (151-165g/km) to be financially viable.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
My Topaz VW 2.5tdi 102 engine, tax this year would have been £280 if I still had it, new to me van another VW 2.5tdi 102 engine a year newer, is £225, for same engine, I cannot work that one out, not complaining though.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Will Timberland be able to give a final stage emmisions test result to go on the CoC document?.

Are Motorcaravans entitled to the emmisions VED calculations?. If so you are likely to pay a larger amount for the initial Tax Disc and you would have to be lower than Band G (151-165g/km) to be financially viable.

You are right, it is a minefield. Why can't things be clear and simple?

We have been waiting nearly a fortnight due to having to apply for registration and the tax disc from Swansea instead of being able to go straight to the local Dvla office.

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back