Laptop (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Guys there was a thread on this forum not so long ago about the best Laptop. Can't find it any suggestions

Bill

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There's probably no such thing as the best laptop, just whats best for you. When my last one went belly up I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude, very good spec in it's day but important to me that it runs Windows XP as I have lots of useful software that won't run on 7 or 8.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Got a sony vaio which is now 7 years or so old, and never had a days issue with it. Only fault after all that time, is the battery doesn't last too long - but the replacement ones are only £20!

Other half has Compaq (HP) which is a nice macine, but wifi is pretty weak in comparison with the Sony. My Sony is always on full power or just under, hers struggles with reception, and always kicks on and off.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a Toshiba with 17" screen ( I LIKE acreage ! ) .. Had it for 5 years now and it still performs perfectly and the battery still lasts over an hour

Only issue I have is that I cannot up the software to Win7 as there are no video drivers available for it, but apart from that it is a great machine..

My son, Darrell, also has a Tosh and that has survived fits of temper, a drowning, and repeated attempts to loose it !!

Solid machines ...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Apple Mac book Pro 13".. Expensive, but very intuitive and superb performance..

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I always buy HP business laptops (not consumer models), because they are pretty bullet proof. I have dropped them on the floor during powerpoint presentations and they just carried on. Split glass of wine on the keyboard with no problem (trying to eat drink and work on a train). And I always get a 3 year warranty just in case. My latest one, an Elitebook, has been faultless.

However the answer is, as other have said, it depends on what you use it for. And you now have a lot more choice. Nowadays my laptop never leaves my desk. Whenever I am away I use an Asus Android Tablet with detachable keyboard. With that I can run presentations, check emails, work on documents and spreadsheets and browse the web with a much smaller and lighter package that switches on instantly and run for a lot longer on its battery.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
This question is nearly as bad as asking which is the best motorhome for you!!:Eeek:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
my nephew is an IT man and he recomends lenovas nothing special on paper but good quality components they go on and on

yes lenova was ibm and to get things like drivers and updates its the easiest system i have ever had on any make of pc or laptop

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have had a Dell Inspiron 1520 which I got 'free' with a mobile phone contract about 5 years ago. Its still going strong and does everything I need.

I imagine many people needing a laptop for use in their van just want to check their emails, surf the internet etc You don't need a powerful / expensive machine to do these things, almost any laptop will do.

By the way I found Dell warranty repair (minor fault) and help superb, best service ever.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back