LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have religiously changed oil at 5000 miles or 10000 kms, but am thinking that with the new to me fully synthetic oils am being a bit over zealous. Having read up a little on these synthetic oils everyone says that oil changes can be extended. What do the funsters think. I was always taught that regular oil changes were the best way to extend an engines life, but that was in the days of mineral oils. I have been using Lucas oils for some time now and it does have some good reports, although I have found that in older engines it does need topping up occasionally. Maybe because its thinner.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
When I was last at work
We had a Mercedes Actros on long term test.
We where told the oil &filters must not be changed for 100000km yes 100000km

But did take samples

But thats very easy when its not yours.

Mel

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Jeez Mel that seems a bit extreme, I don't think I would like to go that far, certainly not with the OM 602 even though there are reports of some covering 1000000 miles before rebuild.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
I have{the wife has} a merc 3.0 V6 diesel over here they recomend not exceeding 20000km
And i think in the begining we changed that at about 18000km
But you need a morgage for oil here {in a merc garage}

It old now{like the wife} she only does about 8000km per year so i will change it {the oil not the wife}maybe after about 15000km

Mel

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have{the wife has} a merc 3.0 V6 diesel over here they recomend not exceeding 20000km
And i think in the begining we changed that at about 18000km
But you need a morgage for oil here {in a merc garage}

It old now{like the wife} she only does about 8000km per year so i will change it {the oil not the wife}maybe after about 15000km

Mel
bless them both, bye the way Mel did your Father in law have any joy with my family records?:winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a older Fiat 2.5 tdi Ducato.

I change oil and filter every year regardless of what miles it has done.

It does not cost very much to do , but gives a lot more peace of mind knowing clean oil
is in there.

Got to look after the old ones and they will look after me :thumb:

Last edited:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i think one thing that is worth bearing in mind regarding engine oils, is that even though the latest fully synthetic ones etc have been designed with extended service intervals in mind,it is expected that the engine its being circulated around will be run daily and at a average temperature etc . the problem with a lot of motorhomes is that they spend most of the year laid up and if the batteries are being maintained via ehu or a solar panel they dont even get started for months ! if owners only do a oil change when they have covered the recomended milage their engines will have had years of condensation contamination etc . regards garry

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Later Fiat/Iveco engines are designed to use fully synthetic lubricant with changes at about 26000 miles.

I do not know about older vehicle engines but, using fully synthetic oil in older marine diesels is apparently a no no. Also they should not be used in any Marine engines designed to run on mineral oil.

I would follow the manufacturers recommendations on lubricant and change in line with the type of use.

Although we run fully synthetic, I am changing annually which is about 12K miles.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
bless them both, bye the way Mel did your Father in law have any joy with my family records?:winky:

No he had the same problem as me trying to understand the website.
I think the best thing to do is if you are over here we could go to antwerp and try to get one of the staff to help us.
I could always jump on a train and meet you in Antwerp when you are over here next.

Sorry a bit off thread

Mel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I usually change full syn, every 10, 000 mls or 2 yrs:Smile: Stopped annual servicing since finishing work about 5 yrs ago and not doing anywhere near mileage I used to.Must say I can usually feel or hear when something is wrong ::bigsmile:
I did above 30k in my last work van only checking oil/water levels every couple of week's-I probably topped up oil but cannot remember doing so ::bigsmile:
Terry

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Later Fiat/Iveco engines are designed to use fully synthetic lubricant with changes at about 26000 miles.

I do not know about older vehicle engines but, using fully synthetic oil in older marine diesels is apparently a no no. Also they should not be used in any Marine engines designed to run on mineral oil.

I would follow the manufacturers recommendations on lubricant and change in line with the type of use.

Although we run fully synthetic, I am changing annually which is about 12K miles.

I have a 3:0lt Fiat which is the Iveco engine. And the service indicator does show 40000km between service good god i dare not do that.

Mel

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Some interesting reply s here. I always changed oil at 5000 miles with older engines and never had a problem with a blown engine. Mineral oils are becoming harder to find in local motor factors, as they all seem to be going semi or full synthetic. I have been using semi synthetic in my old VW Golf for some years now and that has done over 170000 miles. The camper has done 170000 kms on an OM 602 Mercedes diesel, which was one of the most reliable and robust diesel engines ever built, but since changing to full synthetic it does seem to require topping up more often. The older Mercedes diesel engines use a little oil even when new, so this has never been a worry in the past. Am thinking along the lines of reverting back to mineral oil in the van and going back to 5000 mile changes.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Dave, this is a good question.:thumb:

I run, amongst others, Land Rovers that are 40 years and a 20 years old.

The 40 year old one runs mineral oil and the (highly tuned) Tdi 20 year-old runs semi-synthetic from Morris Lubricants.

Annual mileage is 1,000 and 7,000 respectively and both get changed every year including gearboxes and diffs. The gearbox in the 20 year-old runs a modern synthetic and that gets done every 2 years, but good old EP90 gets flushed every year.

I imagine your RMB gets used predominantly on long journeys and is well looked after in the winter months. I would have thought annual oil changes (plus regular checks) are fine. This is what I'll probably do should I buy that RMB we discussed.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave, this is a good question.:thumb:

I run, amongst others, Land Rovers that are 40 years and a 20 years old.

The 40 year old one runs mineral oil and the (highly tuned) Tdi 20 year-old runs semi-synthetic from Morris Lubricants.

Annual mileage is 1,000 and 7,000 respectively and both get changed every year including gearboxes and diffs. The gearbox in the 20 year-old runs a modern synthetic and that gets done every 2 years, but good old EP90 gets flushed every year.

I imagine your RMB gets used predominantly on long journeys and is well looked after in the winter months. I would have thought annual oil changes (plus regular checks) are fine. This is what I'll probably do should I buy that RMB we discussed.

Hi, This is of course another factor. The van is used all year round and almost always on long run. It does over 10000 miles per year and I have been changing engine oil at 5000 miles. My main concern now is to stick with the synthetic and change yearly or 10000 miles or go back to mineral and change at 5000 miles.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would love to be educated as to why fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil will do more harm than good to my old Merc engine.

More harm than good?

How does that one work?

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Wheres Geo when you need him ::bigsmile:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Morning Dave, i would like to give you my 2 pennies on this subject, when i was renovating our old girl, i had a long discussion with an old timed served & a real motor mechanic, he strongly advised Mineral or semi synthetic oil and never fully synthetic, and recommended 10w40 for up here, he even went on to say that all the old OM engines should never have these fully synthetic oil put in as they were never designed for this type of technology,after talking with him at some length i took his advice and still do, our,s have now covered 389000Km and still going strong,so what ever you decide and feel comfortable with, have safe and happy travels, cheers Alf:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Morning Dave, i would like to give you my 2 pennies on this subject, when i was renovating our old girl, i had a long discussion with an old timed served & a real motor mechanic, he strongly advised Mineral or semi synthetic oil and never fully synthetic, and recommended 10w40 for up here, he even went on to say that all the old OM engines should never have these fully synthetic oil put in as they were never designed for this type of technology,after talking with him at some length i took his advice and still do, our,s have now covered 389000Km and still going strong,so what ever you decide and feel comfortable with, have safe and happy travels, cheers Alf:thumb:

Thats good enough for me Alf. I will be dropping the full synthetic today :thumb:.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
for got to mention Dave, its an interesting thread and very helpful to others with older MHs:thumb:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I would love to be educated as to why fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil will do more harm than good to my old Merc engine.

More harm than good?

How does that one work?

JJ :Cool:

if it's any help, as I understand it, the problems arise from the viscosity and increased lubricating properties of fully synthetic oils, the tolerance in older and worn engines will allow the lubricant past the piston rings to the combustion chamber, this may also result in a drop in compression. As I understand it even an older engine that has been rebuilt should not be run on fully synthetic lubricant as the engine will not "run in". Semi synthetics are ok in most applications.

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Is it worth you contacting one of the oil companys, and asking their opinion. They must know what their products are suitable for, or maybe not:Smile:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Ok - featherbrained question coming up! ::bigsmile:

Where does one source mineral oil and how do I know I am getting the right stuff? oh and what **/** do I use? (the numbers on e.g. 10/40 or whatever)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Would someone please tell me what is considered an old engine,?

We have been doing oil and filter changes every 3000 miles , with all of our vehicles over the years, as we considered it the best way, when I bought my Topaz last year a VW, advised to have synthetic,I was a bit dubious I must admit, I have sold that and pick up my new to me MH tomorrow, now I am wondering whether to go back to the 3,000 oil change with mineral oil, would appreciate your input please. it is another VW again. a 2.5tdi 102 engine.2003 model.

Thank you
Margaret

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
On the subject of oil...
I have bought mine from opie oils for some time..
Quick delivery and good prices with discounts for club membership

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I use mineral or semi synthetic in the MH (Fiat/Iveco 2.8TDi) and change the oil and filter annually. In the Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi, I use fully synthetic oil, however, because I have the use of a company van, I'm hardly doing any mileage between MOTs, so again changing both oil and filter annually, rather than at service intervals.

Regards,

Jock.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i was just wondering abute oil with me re building the engine but think from reading the post mineral oil for my engine just wondering abut ruining in now with it having new rings bearings and cam re ground if i should use ruining in oil for the first 500 to 10000 mls to keep campering :thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back