Where to buy a blind spot mirror for LHD RV. (1 Viewer)

angiemac

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
thetford
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
Just bought a 40ft Fleetwood Revolution . Des is used to driving a right hand drive articulated on the continent. But not a left hand drive rigid in the UK. We took it out for the first time last week and at sone junctions, Des had to rely on me to see if the road is clear. What type of mirror does he need? And where would we buy it from? Any ideas???

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I've found the best way to get around that problem is to pull in square to the junction. That way I can see both ways and then turn left when clear. My mh is not as long as yours, but LHD and a pain if the junction is one at an angle. I can see through my side window if the junction is slanted enough to the left. I don't have anyone who can tell me when the road is clear so have had to work around the problem. :Smile:

You will get used to it I'm sure! :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi just type in Magimums mirrors into google, (sorry cant put a link) we had one a couple of weeks ago, excellent service, lady on the phone knew her stuff. I would give them a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A mirror won't really help at junctions. Most junctions will require you get yourself in a position to see but sometimes this is just impossible. There have been times when on my own at junctions and can't see, I've had to apply handbrake and get up, go to the passenger window; then when its clear, dash back to the drivers seat. Not ideal, and doesn't happen often, but it is a bit un-nerving.

Luckily I'm rarely on my own and Sian does the looking right and gives me the OK, Though I hate it when she say's "OK if your quick" then I have to pull away blind with screaming tyres, not knowing how quick is quick :Doh::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
A

angiemac

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
thetford
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
Thanks, Philcott!! Des said he could prob do that 95% of the time. It was me that read somewhere that there was a mirror that you could buy, and I thought that it would make it easier for him, whilst he was still getting used to it. Plus I'm having kittens in the suicide seat and I'd rather not look lol.
We aren't far from Bury st Edmunds. Feltwell near Brandon. Where do you keep your RV when you not using it?? And have you been anywhere good lately?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Years ago there was a device for 'wrong side' steering wheels like a horizontal periscope I think it was called 'Periscope'.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
I find that stopping ( if I have to) 10-12ft before the junction can also help ,depends on the angle of the junction ,what I am thinking of fitting is a mirror looking down at my offside front ( like most trucks have fitted these days) :thumb:

OP
OP
A

angiemac

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
thetford
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
Des just came to a similar conclusion. It doesnt need to be a specific type of mirror, its more about were you have it fitted and at what angle. Thanks for the advice.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Just bought a 40ft Fleetwood Revolution . Des is used to driving a right hand drive articulated on the continent. But not a left hand drive rigid in the UK. We took it out for the first time last week and at sone junctions, Des had to rely on me to see if the road is clear. What type of mirror does he need? And where would we buy it from? Any ideas???
Tell me your route so I can avoid it Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i have stuck around motorcycle mirror on for now it seems to work ok bit of a heath Robinson solution stuck in the lital crevice between the mane mirror and the arm but it's working for me being a bit of a bogger:Eeek:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thanks, Philcott!! Des said he could prob do that 95% of the time. It was me that read somewhere that there was a mirror that you could buy, and I thought that it would make it easier for him, whilst he was still getting used to it. Plus I'm having kittens in the suicide seat and I'd rather not look lol.
We aren't far from Bury st Edmunds. Feltwell near Brandon. Where do you keep your RV when you not using it?? And have you been anywhere good lately?

She sleeps on my drive! And as it's my only form of transport, she is out and about a lot! ::bigsmile:

Will be away for the month of November, starting off in Gloucester area, then up to Preston in Lancashire, back down to Stoneleigh near Coventry for the National Poultry Show, before moving on down to Mersey Island in Essex.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have a 135 deg mirror that bolts onto the lorry type support bars, lots about on ebay so worth looking there. with it I can see back "Y" junctions let alone "T" junctions. I'll have a look for a part number tomorrow. I might even have an extra spare but would be £28 posted as they were not cheap.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I understand that some people use a Fresnal screen and stick it on the side window.

Have had a couple of tricky moments, since getting my lhd in June, but find in most cases that squaring up at the junction or holding back so you can see has worked.:Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a 135 deg mirror that bolts onto the lorry type support bars, lots about on ebay so worth looking there. with it I can see back "Y" junctions let alone "T" junctions. I'll have a look for a part number tomorrow. I might even have an extra spare but would be £28 posted as they were not cheap.
as long as it keeps hime CAMPERING,

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
A mirror won't really help at junctions. Most junctions will require you get yourself in a position to see but sometimes this is just impossible. There have been times when on my own at junctions and can't see, I've had to apply handbrake and get up, go to the passenger window; then when its clear, dash back to the drivers seat. Not ideal, and doesn't happen often, but it is a bit un-nerving.

Luckily I'm rarely on my own and Sian does the looking right and gives me the OK, Though I hate it when she say's "OK if your quick" then I have to pull away blind with screaming tyres, not knowing how quick is quick :Doh::ROFLMAO:
just how many of us have had to do the same thing as you say not very often. But un-nerving

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
I have a round convex mirror above the main mirror on the right hand side. Its adjusted out at an angle so that I have a clear view of what is coming from the right. Works perfic for me. PK

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:Cool:
I have a round convex mirror above the main mirror on the right hand side. Its adjusted out at an angle so that I have a clear view of what is coming from the right. Works perfic for me. PK

Hi Keith, take pic of your setup and post it. cheers. In my minds-eye, I can't see how the setup can see a clear view to the right while at an angle and unable to see the right through the passenger window, if you see what I mean::bigsmile:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have round convex mirrors positioned at the outer bottom of both right and left vehicle mirrors, giving a hugely wide angle of vision around the sides of the MH. I also have a Fresnel lens on Rita's passenger window (LHD) which picks up anyone getting close to the front wheel, which isn't picked up in the convex mirror.
I also have a lens on the rear window, so that when matey behind is so far up my a##e as to not be visible through the window, I can pick him up completely, in the lens. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back