Nearly there! But Laika, Dethleffs or Hobby? (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We are closing in on getting our first MH. The choice has narrowed to Laika Dethleffs and Hobby. Without going into model details, can anyone help with thoughts on build quality, and reliability of each. We particularly like the Laika, but they are Italian made, and it has been suggested, that we need to avoid them.:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We are closing in on getting our first MH. The choice has narrowed to Laika Dethleffs and Hobby. Without going into model details, can anyone help with thoughts on build quality, and reliability of each. We particularly like the Laika, but they are Italian made, and it has been suggested, that we need to avoid them.:thumb:

so are ferraris and lamboghinies

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

Hi
What ever you pick must suit you and yours, others can't know what you need. Pete

Ps has for Build quality everyone will have their own ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
My concern with the laika would be is it as well insulated as the others. German vans are normal built for a Northern European winter whilst UK vans for a Southern European summer, but what about Italian vans where do they fit in. Its the one thing you cannot see. The Hobby is the travellers van of choice for fulltiming in, must say something about them, however they tend to be dry vans not sure if they make normal vans as well, I guess they must. Dethleffs are a quality built van but some models do have annoying different levels to the floors. You really do need to look at all three and choose what is right for you. Good luck with the search.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I have a Laika and find it a great van, lovely and warm in winter and running parts are Fiat so spares are easy to get, I also like the fact that I'm driving a rare van not one of your common Hobby's :thumb: :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
My concern with the laika would be is it as well insulated as the others. German vans are normal built for a Northern European winter whilst UK vans for a Southern European summer, but what about Italian vans where do they fit in. Its the one thing you cannot see. The Hobby is the travellers van of choice for fulltiming in, must say something about them, however they tend to be dry vans not sure if they make normal vans as well, I guess they must. Dethleffs are a quality built van but some models do have annoying different levels to the floors. You really do need to look at all three and choose what is right for you. Good luck with the search.

Laika claim to be very well insulated, and the build quality "looks" to be very good, panel shuts accurate, and materials nice. As David says, his is toasty, but I wonder also at the resale value of maybe a little known product, and a small dealer network. However, value seems fair, and the price of the Dethleffs at 2 years old, is the same as a virtually new Laika. DOH! And Ginny, I like the Hobby as well, but worry about the "traveller" syndrome, not a problem here in Spain, and some say, just applicable to the caravans.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We havent had our Laika for a winter yet but on the colder nights we have been away so far its been good. (On par with the previous Hymers and Rapido we had). Also Laika are now part of the Hymer Group but not sure when they were adopted.
I am more than happy with the build quality (especially compared to the Swift and CI Carioca we owned)
I would consider another Laika if ours ever needs replacing.
When we have been looking at Vans in the past the Dethleffs always seemed to cost more for a comparable layout than other makes and the Hobby's we looked at always appeared to be dark inside. Thats just my view though for what its worth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I like my 2010 Hobby and it seems very solidly built. mine has got darkish wood inside but my friend has just got a new Premium model and its very light and modern inside in fact in & out it looks just brilliant, After seeeing his I could consider changing but they don't do a heavyweight model at the moment

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for your thoughts. I am definitely erring towards the Laika 3012 at the moment. Here in Spain the end of season sales for MH's start next week, and we are going on another viewing bonanza!! I will report back after the trials!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back