Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Engine: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD 1992 Type CRD93LS (U25/673)

Decided that replacement of the cam belt was needed, as I was unsure of the engine service history. And so I contacted my local Fiat spares emporium. When I gave them the chassis number, they informed me that no belt was required, as this engine has a chain!! And so, does this make the engine an oldie worldie OHV (push rod), or is it a chain driven OHC?? Cant find any real answers on this, and so I have just ordered a workshop manual (handbook), to try and solve this mystery.
I could of course just whip off the rocker cover, but thought to ask first.
Dave.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be either..Sofim engine is overhead cam...standard engine is overhead valve (pushrod)

if it has a plastic shroud/cover down the l/h/s of the engine from camshaft to crankshaft its ohc and belt driven.

no cover it will be chain driven pushrods

i have an feeling yours, going on the engine type quoted, is OHC ...belt driven.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i knew papajohn would be along with a answer :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It does have the plastic covers as you say, but Fiat are adamant that its a chain!! Will whip it off in the morning and check. Someone else says that it could be OHV, with the plastic covers securing ancillary drive belts..........Whatever happened to an engine that was just an engine?? :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
found this...its an Iveco engine.

2500 TD Iveco 8140.27 2,500 cc SOHC 8v Direct injection 95 PS (70 kW; 94 hp) @ 3,800 rpm 216 N·m (159 lb·ft) @ 2,000 rpm

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It does have the plastic covers as you say, but Fiat are adamant that its a chain!! Will whip it off in the morning and check. Someone else says that it could be OHV, with the plastic covers securing ancillary drive belts..........Whatever happened to an engine that was just an engine?? :winky:
post a pick off the cam cuver
i was thinking the same today worked on lodes over the wears but never one with shims so had a few problems but sorted now:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

it may have plastic belt covers but theres no need to extend the cover to the camshaft if its a chain....theres nowt up there to cover.

obviously the cam 'sprocket' is external to the camshaft housing with a belt, internal with a chain

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your Fiat dealer aint worth sh t....

its the same engine as the Peugeot J5...

see HERE for a belt kit.....note the engine code in the listing title.
you wouldnt want to buy that one though...bargain at £62....but with ££95 postage

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
your Fiat dealer aint worth sh t....

its the same engine as the Peugeot J5...note the engine code in the listing title.

see HERE for a belt kit

you wouldnt want to buy that one though...bargain at £62....but with ££95 postage

When I enter the known details into the ebay add, it says 'non-compatible' The chain info came from Fiats main frame, and I checked with three seperate Fiat dealers, and all said 'chain'. Wont know now until I dig a bit

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I enter the known details into the ebay add, it says 'non-compatible' The chain info came from Fiats main frame, and I checked with three seperate Fiat dealers, and all said 'chain'. Wont know now until I dig a bit

thats because that belt will have a Peugeot J5 part number cross reference so wont convert to a fiat engine and you cant complete the compatibility section as outside the UK the vehicle type is listed in a different way....thats why there is only one option in the checker.

Last edited:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
gaysn

confirm model make engine size from plate under bonnet:thumb:

Attachments

• bsb 2013 041.jpg
    bsb 2013 041.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 32

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have checked on a Dutch site and they say it is a belt not a chain.

OHC

And that it is a Peugeot/Citroen engine type J5.

Dont know if this helps

Mel

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Engine: Fiat Ducato 2.5 TD 1992 Type CRD93LS (U25/673)

Decided that replacement of the cam belt was needed, as I was unsure of the engine service history. And so I contacted my local Fiat spares emporium. When I gave them the chassis number, they informed me that no belt was required, as this engine has a chain!! And so, does this make the engine an oldie worldie OHV (push rod), or is it a chain driven OHC?? Cant find any real answers on this, and so I have just ordered a workshop manual (handbook), to try and solve this mystery.
I could of course just whip off the rocker cover, but thought to ask first.
Dave.
have sent PM they will help you with every thing

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
confirm model make engine size from plate under bonnet:thumb:

Engine details there??????????

Where?

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think this MH may have had an engine change. Can anyone ID this motor? It's supposed to be a 2.5 turbo, but I cant find the blower anywhere.

Attachments

• fiat engine 3.jpg
    fiat engine 3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 43
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think this MH may have had an engine change. Can anyone ID this motor? It's supposed to be a 2.5 turbo, but I cant find the blower anywhere.
it is a sfofam ther is only three belts in that range of engine get in tuch with the company i PM you abut and they will Mach it up give them the no off the belt and count the teeth

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
FOLLOW UP:

Our Hymer was originally fitted with a 2ltr petrol engine, hence the confusion with the timing belt/chain thing. Still dont know which diesel engine is now fitted, but working on it! By the looks of things, it's a fairly new unit, put in recently. Had the cam belt done Thursday.:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
FOLLOW UP:

Our Hymer was originally fitted with a 2ltr petrol engine, hence the confusion with the timing belt/chain thing. Still dont know which diesel engine is now fitted, but working on it! By the looks of things, it's a fairly new unit, put in recently. Had the cam belt done Thursday.:thumb:
from the pick it look like a sofam 2.5 td there should be on the head casting a year that should narrow it down a bit and try and get engine id off front off block that will tell you most of wat you nead to know :thumb:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
from the pick it look like a sofam 2.5 td there should be on the head casting a year that should narrow it down a bit and try and get engine id off front off block that will tell you most of wat you nead to know :thumb:

Definitely a SOFAM Bill, but not sure which one!! Cant find anything on the head, and nothing on the front, (right side), of the block! All I can tell is that it's a recon unit, all new core plugs in the block, new hoses, hose clips etc. Block has been steam cleaned, yet all the ancillary's, inlet manifold, pumps, are 'used', if you get my drift. New alternator, and all fresh clips and fittings to hold diesel fuel pipes, cables etc. My guess is that someone has got hold of an old diesel unit, and either traded it in for a recon, or had it reconed themselves. Dont even know the cc, but I think it might be a 2.5 ltr unit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

if it has a turbo it is very low down at the back of the block bolted to the exhaust fanimold.

the turbo is a very small unit in comparison to the engine capacity.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
if it has a turbo it is very low down at the back of the block bolted to the exhaust fanimold.

the turbo is a very small unit in comparison to the engine capacity.

It seems no turbo, John. The exhaust manifold bolts directly to a cast left hand 90 degree turn piece, also cast, using a square four bolt fixing, and then into the start of the exhaust system proper. The turbo unit should be where the left hand turn casting is. Bought it as a turbo, and it states turbo in the V5, but nothing. Bit of a head scratcher really.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It seems no turbo, John. The exhaust manifold bolts directly to a cast left hand 90 degree turn piece, also cast, using a square four bolt fixing, and then into the start of the exhaust system proper. The turbo unit should be where the left hand turn casting is. Bought it as a turbo, and it states turbo in the V5, but nothing. Bit of a head scratcher really.

Here is what I believe is your engine? This is a 2.5 turbo unit. Note the turbo that Pappajohn says it should have. I have looked for the engine details but can only find 7302451 on the block where indicated by the X.
It threw a con-rod through the block so is useless although everything else is fine. Well not the water pump, used that on the replacement engine!
Have another look for the elusive turbo??

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 7302451.jpg
    7302451.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 25

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!