Travel through France & Spain (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi and welcome to the forum...:thumb:

Done that plenty of times,,,, some times East side sometimes west side and cut across...

Must admit I have never bothered to bypass the toll roads...

Plenty on here do, and they should be along to advise... :thumb:

PS, What part of Devon...

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My route would be.
Calais - Rouen - Chartes- Blois - Chateauroux- Toulouse- then either bypass Andorra or via Narbonne and down the coast...

From Blois you can also go Vierzon and Clemont Ferrand...

Not much in it either way.. Depends on time of year as well....

Can all be done non toll...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
best not to rule out tolls altogether there are some stretches where paying the tolls is better we tend to do it on the sat nave with and without tolls to see the time and millage difference then use Michelin planner to get the rough cost of the tolls

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
tonka has best answered your question as for tolls the only 1 i would pay is from bologne to abbville otherwise its stop start all down the non toll road from clermont to perpignan its non tolls and a nice route just toll at millau bridge have fun and safe roads :Smile:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
When are you going? This will affect the recommendations you get, as the Clermont Ferrand route is high, and perhaps not the best if winter weather is about. Equally the west coast route can be cluttered in the holiday season.
The Chateauroux Limoges Toulouse route is a good choice at any time of year, as much of the A20 is toll-free, and there are optional routes south of here that can avoid the toll sections, though they are naturally slower.
You can usually pick up good advice here at Parc Verger, as there are often guests, some of whom will be Funsters, who do this run frequently.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Travel through France and Spain

Are you wanting to visit particular places en route or just get it over with? We choose the former last Autumn, making another holiday out of our journey back from Spain, and enjoyed every minute!

Aigues Mortes
Cassis
Tain
Beaune
Epernay
The Somme.

Mostly used aires and took about two weeks.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
My route would be.
Calais - Rouen - Chartes- Blois - Chateauroux- Toulouse- then either bypass Andorra or via Narbonne and down the coast...

From Blois you can also go Vierzon and Clemont Ferrand...

Not much in it either way.. Depends on time of year as well....

Can all be done non toll...

Hi Steve, that's the way travel, but do you know if they have opened the bridge at Rouen yet, we had a nightmare of a journey through there earlier this year.

Ginny

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Steve, that's the way travel, but do you know if they have opened the bridge at Rouen yet, we had a nightmare of a journey through there earlier this year.

Ginny

The bridge is closed till next year from what i have read, however Rouen is quite easy when going south.. Once you hit the closed bridge, go up the slip road and turn left, then straight over the lights and you are on the old N road and along the north bank of the river. That road takes you down to Pont de l'Arche and on to Evereux. If you come back north via Pont de L'arche you dont hit any delays at all as you join the main road to Abberville after the bridge closure...

bluemog

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
3 years
Winter travel

Having looked at this post it's been more than helpful about routes, including some I hadn't thought about. However I intend to travel down to Spain and Portugal at the end of January (finally retired!) and was wondering what road conditions are like in mid France and Spain at that time?

I realise that some routes have considerable climbs and must run the risk of snowfall but how good are the natives at clearing it? Coming from NE Scotland I've lived all my life driving in snow but we are often snowbound due to the inability of our services to clear even main routes. I would think/hope that this wouldn't be a problem but I have an extremely nervous OH who would have a tizzy fit if we experience anything more than a couple of centimetres. I have snow chains etc but hoping that they would only be required on side roads.

I'd be obliged if anyone else has travelled at this time of year and can give any advice.

Thanks

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Try this route..

Calais...Abbeyville..Rouen..Evreaux..Nonacourt..Dreaux..Chartres..

Orleans..Vierzon..Chateroux..A20 all the way to..Toulouse..Carcassone..Narbonne..Perpignan.. to the border at La Jonquera..
This is more or less the route we used there are some decent Aires on the way..Buchy Forges le Eaux Mery sur Cher..have fun hope this helps..

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
We live near Limoges and traveled to Spain by car the last two winters (out at the end of December and back mid Feb)

We used motorways mostly but no need to really as the roads are pretty good. The first year we found the bit from Carcassonne to Barcelona VERY windy and it is often like that, so last winter we went down the west coast of France. Limoges, Bordeaux, to San Sebastián . Then across the middle of Spain through Zaragoza to Valencia. A bit hilly at first then lovely straight FREE roads but it is very boring:RollEyes: would do it again though as those cross winds in northern Spain were awful:cry:

By the way...... We came through Rouen while driving south in May and it was a nightmare! Pick your times if you go that way. Don't do it at rush hour:shout:
The rest of the route is good though:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back