Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Am in UK and couldn't find Astra2 today, but can get Hotbird. It's Mobilsat automatic system, about a year old. I know some things have changed and wonder if it's looking for a frequency that no longer carries channels.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or do I need a software update?

Many thanks for any help.

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Join the club, mine has been just fine all the way down France but died on Saturday. I did manage a manual tune last night but cannot find it tonight

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I might need to email the distributor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If I find a solution I'll post it here. Hopefully some expert will be along to advise. Graham

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Being as we are in Spain and heading towards Portugal we would appreciate any info you may get on here please

Cheers Alan

If you are heading to Portugal, remember to fill up just before you cross the bridge as its cheaper by far.

My house is just off the A49 between Seville and Portugal and I try and fill up there when I am over that way.

Anything else just PM me :Smile:

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we have an alden i lost a few channels at weekend but just been outside and re tuned free sat box and got them back seems ok

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well I can confirm that I cannot find Astra 2 on my Mobilesat system as just pulled MH out and tried. As it was working in the same spot 10 days ago I can only guess that they are messing with the orbits of the satellites, which would make the "footprint" hard to find here in Spain and the EU as just called mate in UK and asked him to check his MH dish and it locked onto Astra 2 in seconds. In my home here we are getting all Sky channels without problem, but it is a 1.9Mtr dish fixed. We will just have to wait a few days and see what happens when the new satellite is moved into the correct orbit. Fingers crossed

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well I can confirm that I cannot find Astra 2 on my Mobilesat system as just pulled MH out and tried. As it was working in the same spot 10 days ago I can only guess that they are messing with the orbits of the satellites, which would make the "footprint" hard to find here in Spain and the EU as just called mate in UK and asked him to check his MH dish and it locked onto Astra 2 in seconds. In my home here we are getting all Sky channels without problem, but it is a 1.9Mtr dish fixed. We will just have to wait a few days and see what happens when the new satellite is moved into the correct orbit. Fingers crossed

Please let us know, we are off to Spain in December and would like to know if we should take our 1.2 metre dish.

Ginny

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Mobilsat Update

I have just spoken to Miriad Products who are the UK distributors for Mobilsat. He says the transponder which Mobilsat use to tune the dish was turned off at the weekend and he's been flooded with calls from the public which was the first he'd heard that there was a problem. They are working with the factory in Italy to get a fix. It may mean sending the control unit back to Miriad who will install the update. They are also looking at other solutions, such as through the internet, to see if any are available.

Unfortunately he can't say when this will be sorted, as it's the factory in Milan who need to get something worked out, but he assures me they are doing all they can to ensure that customers get the help they need. Hopefully, it will be days rather than weeks and months.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Someone up there is buggering about with Astra 2.

We are still about 20 miles south and a bit west of Santander and I have just pressed the button on our Mobilsat and hey pressto look what we have, I dare not experiment or even touch it or she will hurt me

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Someone up there is buggering about with Astra 2.

We are still about 20 miles south and a bit west of Santander and I have just pressed the button on our Mobilsat and hey pressto look what we have, I dare not experiment or even touch it or she will hurt me

I think you have been lucky and locked on and because the "footprint" is larger you have got a lock, I have just come back from our MH having been there all day and even changed the factory LNB for a 0.01Db gain version and still no lock. I can lock manually no problem, but what a pain in the ass...... Hope they get the finger out ASAP......

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
no problem at the buzzard I checked today, so just mobilesat users I guess.

Yes it would appear that the transponder that the software uses to lock onto the Sat has been switched off and therefore the system cannot find Astra 2. I have emailed Mobilsat Italy to see if I can get reply....... might be some time.

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
According to the guy I spoke to Glomax had the same problem last week and I've read elsewhere that Oyster have been affected too. So it could be quite a few systems down, depending on how easy they are to fix with an update.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
According to the guy I spoke to Glomax had the same problem last week and I've read elsewhere that Oyster have been affected too. So it could be quite a few systems down, depending on how easy they are to fix with an update.

The problem is not the update it is how they will do it. If it is a simple RS232 cable connection and update via computer thats fine, however I think it will be a "recall" to the factory/fitter for the update which could mean removing the control box and sending back to factory. If this is the case do not plan on a fix until late December or early next year. The reason for my prediction is until the new satellite is in correct orbit and has new transponders running they will not waste money on a "quick fix".
For now it's back to manual tuning of Astra 2, which for some will be a hoot.........:cry:

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The problem is not the update it is how they will do it.

The Mobilsat website says the control box has a usb port for updating, but it must be inside. My box has a warranty sticker over one of the screws so I didn't look inside to check.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
we have an alden i lost a few channels at weekend but just been outside and re tuned free sat box and got them back seems ok

What Alden system have you got? . .. . . And how did you re-tune it.?

We have a libertas HD+Ci and have had a few problems getting it to lock on to astra satellites

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
What Alden system have you got? . .. . . And how did you re-tune it.?

We have a [HI]libertas HD+Ci[/HI] and have had a few problems getting it to lock on to astra satellites

I think you'll have to contact Alden for an update.
I spoke to them at the Paris show last week and asked if the new satellite launch would affect me. I was told if you have an HD Libertas then they would email an update to flash to the box if it was an SD box then it would have to be returned to them for the upgrade.

You can phone Clair on 03 88 74 18 18 she speaks/is english. Failing that the technical number is 08 20 02 55 25 (cost 0.11€/min) open from Monday 16h to 18h, Tue - Fri 11h to 12h / 16h to 18h.

Website http://alden.fr/

HTH
Steve

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Mobiltech

Received reply this morning ( below ) Please all Mobilsat owners email them ( link at bottom of the page for answer on software update. The more that do it the quicker it will be. I have informed them that I will be returning my system to the dealer for a FULL refund as "not fit for purpose" ( thats hard as I fitted it myself!!! ) and awaiting reply on that one!!

MOBILTECH
10 October 2013 09:56

Dear Mr. John,

Astra 2 is changing all the signals.

In the meantime, you can quickly search for Astra 2, pointing the satellite Astra 3 and moving the dish in hand counterclockwise.

BR

a2j_20070716_Loghi

di Barin Luca & C. s.a.s.

Sede Legale: Via Bassano del Grappa 10/12 - 20814 Varedo (MI)

Sede operativa: Via Brughetti 9/E – 20813 Bovisio Masciago (MI)

tel 0362/544928 - fax 0362/576478

web: www.mobiltech.it - info@mobiltech.it

OP
OP
G

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I have informed them that I will be returning my system to the dealer for a FULL refund as "not fit for purpose"

Don't see much mileage in that, sorry.

You might be better to email the UK Distributor and get your details logged: RGriffiths@miriad-products.com

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Don't see much mileage in that, sorry.

You might be better to email the UK Distributor and get your details logged: RGriffiths@miriad-products.com

I know your right, but anything at this stage is worth a go. Thanks for the email link I have just emailed them, see what happens.

Just back from MH and did what they recommended ( lock to satellite Astra 3 ) and allow a bit of a pain doing it manually, it did find Astra 2 with TV on the Sky News channel. Guess that will have to do for now.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Pffffft I am down at Salamanca and cannot find Astra 3 all I have is Astra 1 and no amount of fiddling finds Astra 2, the bonus is we have free wifi. Just a quick thought John does the dish stay in the same elevation for astra 2 as for Astra 1 or does it need tweaking up or down?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Pffffft I am down at Salamanca and cannot find Astra 3 all I have is Astra 1 and no amount of fiddling finds Astra 2, the bonus is we have free wifi. Just a quick thought John does the dish stay in the same elevation for astra 2 as for Astra 1 or does it need tweaking up or down?

Mate you need to go into the service menus and change the 3 x satellites from default. I now have mine set 13E, 19E and 23.5E (Astra 3 ) for now until they have a fix ready. When it locks into Astra 3 you then change to manual and manually move dish counter clockwise (slowly) and a little up ( but this depends where you are ) At the same time have tuner on Sky News and watch TV screen picture will clear.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
John two questions

i) how far are you from Salamanca

ii) have you got a chain saw big enough to take a plane tree down

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Alan, elevation in Salamanca for Astra 1 is at 36.2 deg. Astra 2 is 31.4 deg. so if you have Astra 1 lower your dish and then move a little to the East. Also check the skew as it needs to be rotated clockwise (looking at the dish from the front) to about 1 o'clock.

But not in the shadow of a plain tree. :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Apparently this problem affects ALL automatic dishes and is down to the fact that Astra2 has narrowed the beam so that there is a stronger signal to the UK. The BBC do not want their channels broadcast outside of the UK so looks like you might lose them forever. The other UK channels are being moved to a new sat that will cover Europe. However that will not be in final position until December so no immediate fix is available other than manual tuning. not looking good is it. If you are going abroad take lots of DVD's with you. Good luck, catch up on BBC programs by internet streaming when you have a decent signal for free.
How does that affect the footie, will JJ move back from Portugal, all this and more to be decided, hee hee.

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Apparently this problem affects ALL automatic dishes and is down to the fact that Astra2 has narrowed the beam so that there is a stronger signal to the UK. The BBC do not want their channels broadcast outside of the UK so looks like you might lose them forever. The other UK channels are being moved to a new sat that will cover Europe. However that will not be in final position until December so no immediate fix is available other than manual tuning. not looking good is it. If you are going abroad take lots of DVD's with you. Good luck, catch up on BBC programs by internet streaming when you have a decent signal for free.
How does that affect the footie, will JJ move back from Portugal, all this and more to be decided, hee hee.

It has nothing to do with the "beam" it is ALL transponder based. The automatic systems are ALL looking for a transponder that is now switched off and therefore can not lock on automatically. Until they write the software with the new transponder freq we are a bit stuffed.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
John two questions

i) how far are you from Salamanca

ii) have you got a chain saw big enough to take a plane tree down

i). 647 km, 5 hours 45 mins In current traffic: 5 hours 49 mins

ii). Nop only little chain saw......

:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.