shimming a cylinder head (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well finally got the cylinder head back together put all the bit;s back in order
1 valve clearances are 0.45 to 0.55 cold both inlet and exo
right this is the valve clearances i have how do i make symes thinner with out a milling machine can i do it with emery paper on bench as it is first time doing shim type tap-its
cant see the woods for the trees any constructive advice would be appreciated
theas are the valve clearances at the moment or will i get away with them as they are
no 1 v 0.40 - 05
no 2 v 0.30 - 015
no 3 v 0.55
no 4 v o.35 - 010
no 5 v 0.50
no 5 v 0.45
no 7 v 0.55
no 8 v 0.30 - 015

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you wont make the shims any thinner Bill.

they are extremely hard to take the punishment they get.

i even tried a sheets of shim steel in various thicknesses but that didnt work and the thinnest shims simply worked their way out.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
you can buy a selection from ebay for about £3 for 10. I personally prefer to run the engine a short while before shimming tappets, but according to the manuals you arent supposed to need to, plus you need to be sure you have some clearances first. When you get the selection pack, you shuffle round between the ones you have and the new ones till you get the right sizes. Tolerances for your engine need to be looked up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you can buy a selection from ebay for about £3 for 10. I personally prefer to run the engine a short while before shimming tappets, but according to the manuals you arent supposed to need to, plus you need to be sure you have some clearances first. When you get the selection pack, you shuffle round between the ones you have and the new ones till you get the right sizes. Tolerances for your engine need to be looked up.
thank there is sum clearance but bit tight so maybe try ruining it first to let it all run in i will have the symes off old head they don't nead much thanks for posting:thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
you wont make the shims any thinner Bill.

they are extremely hard to take the punishment they get.

i even tried a sheets of shim steel in various thicknesses but that dint work and the thinnest shims simply worked their way out.
i will have the ones of the old head so my be able to swap sum of them thanks for posting:thumb:
the rebuild has gone very well ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back