Do something (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Over a period of 30 years I have had caravans, and the last 7 years Motorhomes.And when on sites and on this forum the amount of Motorhomes and caravans that have got all sorts of problems, the main one being water ingress.and they get fobbed of by the Dealers that it's not our fault it's the Manufacturer,it's about time we stood up and indeed start to take legal action against the Dealers.When I buy cars and if there is a problem they don't fob me of claiming it's the manufacturer I don't have to send my car to Japan to get fixed so stop blaming the manufacturer, start hitting back at the dealers who in my opinion have got away with this far to long,so I would suggest you insist on a warranty from the dealers and if enough do this who knows they might listen, remember people power is a strong force, and just maybe the next Dealer you buy from will stand up and take ownership for the products they are Selling

Bill

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have a warranty on a brand new MH and it doesn't make a scrap of difference.
You still have to fight like hell to get anything done, if at all.
They are all tarred with the same brush as far as I am concerned. The manufacturer makes the shoddy goods and the dealer sells them, then they both try to duck and dive out of their responsibilities. :Angry:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The few that do have problems are probably in the minority of the thousands sold...

So doubt you would get the happy ones to join in...

It`s always the same, and rightly so.... you only hear of the bad eggs... :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
They are all tarred with the same brush as far as I am concerned. The manufacturer makes the shoddy goods and the dealer sells them, then they both try to duck and dive out of their responsibilities. :Angry:

That's why Bill`s idea is good.... but would it get off the ground.. ?:Sad:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Take them to court if enough do this and we as a body name and shame one day they will have to listen, don't get fobbed of and record all correspondence. My question is this would you accept the same treatment from a car Manufacturer

Bill

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
The few that do have problems are probably in the minority of the thousands sold...

So doubt you would get the happy ones to join in...

It`s always the same, and rightly so.... you only hear of the bad eggs... :Smile:
What I have seen there is more than a few i firmly believe that if only one stands up and takes action it will happen . History tells you that all it takes is one person to say no

Bill

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Over a period of 30 years I have had caravans, and the last 7 years Motorhomes.And when on sites and on this forum the amount of Motorhomes and caravans that have got all sorts of problems, the main one being water ingress.and they get fobbed of by the Dealers that it's not our fault it's the Manufacturer,it's about time we stood up and indeed start to take legal action against the Dealers.When I buy cars and if there is a problem they don't fob me of claiming it's the manufacturer I don't have to send my car to Japan to get fixed so stop blaming the manufacturer, start hitting back at the dealers who in my opinion have got away with this far to long,so I would suggest you insist on a warranty from the dealers and if enough do this who knows they might listen, remember people power is a strong force, and just maybe the next Dealer you buy from will stand up and take ownership for the products they are Selling
Oh if it were just that simple!!!!! I do not speak from experience as I bought my first mh second hand and so the warranty on one was for 6 months and my problems did not start until after the six months; my current mh I bought privately and so a warranty does not apply.

My only experience is with a mh sole agent in UK (That shall remain nameless) who acts for a European manufacturer. I contacted the manufacturer asking for a spare part and was initially told they would not supply as they had a UK agent. When I told them the agent's service was so bad I refused to deal with them they agreed to ship the part direct to me.

When the previous year I told the manufacturer their sole UK agent was ripping customers off and it was cheaper to bring my vehicle to their factory rather than have it done in UK, the service manager said he knew this to be true by the number of UK owners who brought their mh to their factory rather than use the UK dealer.
18 months later the same firm is the sole UK agent and nothing has changed.

It is a niche market that obviously needs a clean up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Oh if it were just that simple!!!!! I do not speak from experience as I have bought my mh second hand and son the warranty on one was for 6 months and my problems did not start until after the six months; my current mh I bought privately and so a warranty does not apply.

My only experience is with a mh sole agent in UK (That shall remain nameless) who acts for a European manufacturer. I contacted the manufacturer asking for a spare part and was initially told they would not supply as they had a UK agent. When I told them the agent's service was so bad I refused to deal with them they agreed to ship the part direct to me.

When the previous year I told the manufacturer their sole UK agent was ripping customers off and it was cheaper to bring my vehicle to their factory rather than have it done in UK, the service manager said he knew this to be true by the number of UK owners who brought their mh to their factory rather than use the UK dealer.
18 months later the same firm is the sole UK agent and nothing has changed.

It is a niche market that obviously needs a clean up.

Needs a clean up that's a understatement.What we intend to forget that it's us with the money and along with that you hold the power, I would hope and we will see if this post gets a response from any dealers who I know from experience monitor this forum

Bill

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
I've actually sued one dealer & its a no win situation, They have high priced help on retainer & even when they break the rules the courts rule in their favour. The costs spiral out of control as they use delaying tactics. I just ran out of money & time.:Sad:

Good luck to anyone who tries.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I've actually sued one dealer & its a no win situation, They have high priced help on retainer & even when they break the rules the courts rule in their favour. The costs spiral out of control as they use delaying tactics. I just ran out of money & time.:Sad:

Good luck to anyone who tries.
Perhaps what is required is some sort of Body that you can go to and who can regulate the Dealership. And they should signe up to them. They have that for practically all sorts of organisations, and yes name and shame. without the name but with enough hints

Bill

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Needs a clean up that's a understatement.What we intend to forget that it's us with the money and along with that you hold the power, I would hope and we will see if this post gets a response from any dealers who I know from experience monitor this forum

Bill

Can't believe this forum sometimes:Eeek:
I started a thread yesterday about not putting up with this sort of thing , and nearly to a man you all stuck up for whatever sort of van you owned and said it was me on about someone spending their own money on what they want never mind if it's crap , it's their crap and their money so shut up:Doh:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
It`s the way you worded it... :winky:::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think major problems are quite rare.

A lot of buyers get hung up on minor issues and go about things in the wrong way half the time.

A firm letter followed by a sensible chat with either the dealer or the manufacturer will get much better results than a rant in my opinion.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Well lets start by naming & shaming any dealer who refuses to honour the warranty.
A data base would be usefull so if we get a few for the same dealer we could get in touch with watchdog or rip off britain or something like that?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well lets start by naming & shaming any dealer who refuses to honour the warranty.
A data base would be usefull so if we get a few for the same dealer we could get in touch with watchdog or rip off britain or something like that?

Does the dealer offer the warranty or the manufacturer?

I don't think Jim would be too happy if this site started naming and shaming all and sundry either.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Can't believe this forum sometimes:Eeek:
I started a thread yesterday about not putting up with this sort of thing , and nearly to a man you all stuck up for whatever sort of van you owned and said it was me on about someone spending their own money on what they want never mind if it's crap , it's their crap and their money so shut up:Doh:
If I remember your post you had a issue with only one. Manufacturer

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I think major problems are quite rare.

A lot of buyers get hung up on minor issues and go about things in the wrong way half the time.

A firm letter followed by a sensible chat with either the dealer or the manufacturer will get much better results than a rant in my opinion.
I'm talking about major problems like water ingress, any small repairs that they don't fix it's easy small claims court

Bill

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

I don't think Jim would be too happy if this site started naming and shaming all and sundry either.
We don't need this forum we can create a data base and let's complain . I watched a programme a few weeks ago don't get done get Dom and Swift were getting it in the neck.

Bill

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My question is this would you accept the same treatment from a car Manufacturer Bill

I often hear this. I bought a new GL420 made by Mercedes. It is an expensive car, at circa £70K

The gear box was a nightmare and I got fobbed off for two years with, firmware updates, replacement gear box pumps, and seals. Sticking plasters over a wound.

After two years the "not a fault" became a "known issue" meaning that the "it's only yours" was in fact incorrect and was "everyones"

The solution? bought another new Merc to get out of the GL

So yes crap service in our opinion from a quality German car manufacturer on one of their more expensive models. I didn't "accept" the treatment, I had no real alternative.

You would have to find people with exactly the same faults and problems to start a group action, and realise that if you lost your motorhomes would be worthless as they would be by your own admission not fit for purpose.

Good luck though

Eddie

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Might I just add I haven't had a problem nor have my kids who have both got vans, just expressing the fact that people come on here and other forums complaining about their vans but then say they are getting it done, it shouldn't want doing at the price they cost:Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I often hear this. I bought a new GL420 made by Mercedes. It is an expensive car, at circa £70K

The gear box was a nightmare and I got fobbed off for two years with, firmware updates, replacement gear box pumps, and seals. Sticking plasters over a wound.

After two years the "not a fault" became a "known issue" meaning that the "it's only yours" was in fact incorrect and was "everyones"

The solution? bought another new Merc to get out of the GL

So yes crap service in our opinion from a quality German car manufacturer on one of their more expensive models. I didn't "accept" the treatment, I had no real alternative.

You would have to find people with exactly the same faults and problems to start a group action, and realise that if you lost your motorhomes would be worthless as they would be by your own admission not fit for purpose.

Good luck though

Eddie

Nice cars Eddie.

I am in the wrong business.

I am setting up a new venture with Old Mo.

We are calling it Manbitz.:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp

Warranty is with the Vendor isn't it?
The manufacturer will not deal with you direct.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
It is also time we had one warranty

Base vehicle Fiat/Merc/Renault etc

Chassis Alco

And third Motorhome

Had a problem with Fiat heater.
They wanted to charge 6 hours labour for Rapido dash removal.

I had an E Mail from Fiat dealer to say it was warranty before they started.

They then had to claim that of Rapido.

The dealer told me I should have gone to Rapido dealer they whould remove dashboard then take it to Fiat for repair.

I dont think this is the way we should be dealt with..

But at least we can talk to our dealer and fine a solution.

There is a lot to be said about small family firms.

One more point yes even Rapido's have problems:Doh:

Mel

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If the said problem dealers were to chat and participate on this forum as a regular member would you want to name and shame them.

Is it easy to want to name and shame a anonymous person or company but not a regular chat friend.

There are regular forum users on here who are dealers ,either they are 100% clean or favoured because no one wants to be seen on line to down a on line friend.

If a main dealer was a lurker and could see he was receiving bad reviews would he be advised to join up and chat to get a favourable review:Eeek:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
If the said problem dealers were to chat and participate on this forum as a regular member would you want to name and shame them.

YES YES YES!
I don't have a gripe with any dealer, YET, but I would if I did!

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

Is it easy to want to name and shame a anonymous person or company but not a regular chat friend.

There are regular forum users on here who are dealers ,either they are 100% clean or favoured because no one wants to be seen on line to down a on line friend.

If a main dealer was a lurker and could see he was receiving bad reviews would he be advised to join up and chat to get a favourable review:Eeek:
I would , why not are they different from the rest of us . why can't they like everyone else in this forum receive criticism when it's deserved

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
A motorhome is a complex piece of kit and can get problems from many areas all covered by different manufacturers all with some rather silly ideas of how long it will take to repair, yes it is only five minutes to undo three screws and remove a panel when it is sitting on the bench but not when it is bolted into fitted furniture:Doh:

That is why a dealer has to make a decent profit in order to basically subsidise the after sales if he wants to look after his customer. If he is just a metal mover like many are, then he will not have a margin in which to operate and rectify and even do a proper PDI

Buyers who chose to go down this route and screw the nuts of the deal in many ways have only themselves to blame in these situations.

However the Sale of Goods Act as our legal eagles will confirm places the onus on the seller to rectify in the same way that the dealer has that protection against the manufacturer.

There are many ethical dealers out there, just deal with them and not the metal movers, price is not everything and then you should not get problems which cannot be solved.

My two pence worth

Peter

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
A motorhome is a complex piece of kit and can get problems from many areas all covered by different manufacturers all with some rather silly ideas of how long it will take to repair, yes it is only five minutes to undo three screws and remove a panel when it is sitting on the bench but not when it is bolted into fitted furniture:Doh:

[HI]Very true[/HI]

That is why a dealer has to make a decent profit in order to basically subsidise the after sales if he wants to look after his customer. If he is just a metal mover like many are, then he will not have a margin in which to operate and rectify and even do a proper PDI

[HI]Also true[/HI]

Buyers who chose to go down this route and screw the nuts of the deal in many ways have only themselves to blame in these situations.

[HI]Not true. the dealer knows his profit margin, not the customer[/HI]

However the Sale of Goods Act as our legal eagles will confirm places the onus on the seller to rectify in the same way that the dealer has that protection against the manufacturer.

There are many ethical dealers out there, just deal with them and not the metal movers, price is not everything and then you should not get problems which cannot be solved.

My two pence worth

Peter

And if the dealer feels that the manufacturer is not holing his end up, then he should refuse to sell their products.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back