Wild camping £17.50/night (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Just got back from the C&CC site in Keswick, £17.50/night for a patch of grass in a field about a third of a mile from the toilets with no electrics, robbery.

I like this site and have used it several times even during school holidays although this time it was the end of a bank holiday weekend and also school half term but it was so full. I was told that the site was meant for 250 outfits but they already had 280 on and I think there were a lot more than that.

We booked this trip on the 21/01/2008 and there was only a standard grass pitch with awning left, what I didn't realise was that this didn't include hook-up. Even though the site was fully booked, people arriving without bookings were still squeezed on, how greedy is that.

Ralph

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just got back from the C&CC site in Keswick, £17.50/night for a patch of grass in a field about a third of a mile from the toilets with no electrics, robbery.
I'm afraid this is one of the reasons many 'brits' now take their money out of the UK and holiday abroad.

I suppose this site could charge three times that amount and you would find that people would still pay it. The Lake District has always attracted a lot of wealthy 'boaty folks' with loads of disposable income.

Two years ago i paid just £19 per night to stay in a Hotel in Palma.....and that included full board. The Hotel was 3*, spotlessly clean throughout, balcony with sea view, and just yards from the beach itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's a bummer Ralph, busy sites can be a pain, but in the lakes at least most people are walkers and they drop straight into bed exhausted in the evening and you wouldn't know they were there! :Smile:

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it

I like this site and have used it several times even during school holidays although this time it was the end of a bank holiday weekend and also school half term but it was so full. I was told that the site was meant for 250 outfits but they already had 280 on and I think there were a lot more than that.

We booked this trip on the 21/01/2008 and there was only a standard grass pitch with awning left, what I didn't realise was that this didn't include hook-up. Even though the site was fully booked, people arriving without bookings were still squeezed on, how greedy is that.

Ralph

Sounds like robbery to me too. Nice little earner for someone though! I guess its a case of supply and demand though at the end of the day

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

Ralph

It does sound very expensive, but it looks like you were charged the going rate. (Lake District - Peak Season :Eeek:). The 'Big Site Book' does actually say that a standard pitch is 'a grass pitch with no hard standing or electric hook-up'. It was unfortunate that you were so far from the amenities, but as you say, it was Bank Holiday and school half term.
If I understand the way they operate the 250 is the number of caravans / motorhome pitches available. I don't think the number of tents is limited. I could be wrong, of course.
The C&CC do have a 6 metre rule, which I understand applies to all units whether tent or caravan. We've only stayed at one site where that rule was flouted by the warden (he seemed to be reading feet for metres).

So whereas I do sympathise with your complaint I'm not at all surprised that it happened. If the rules were being broken, however, I would urge you to point this out to the 'powers that be'.

Happier camping next time. :Smile:

John

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
My sympathy. We're at a C & CC site which shall remain unnamed because we have another 3 weeks here, having booked a hardstanding pitch for two adults in our 32' oufit back in January. They put us in the middle of the children's play area on Sunday when we arrived and it took me 4 hours of argument Monday and finally asking for our money back before we were grudgingly moved to the pitch we'd booked. We still have kids on site, millions of them it seems. Three little girls in trainers jumping up and down in the washbasin in the ladies shower block yesterday morning, little boys collecting up handfulls of gravel and throwing them at the front of the rv, footballs kicked directly at our windscreen, cycles being ridden across pitches, through the toilet blocks etc. Not a parent in sight! Roll on the end of half term.
Jan

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
kids on site, millions of them...Three little girls in trainers jumping up and down in the washbasin in the ladies shower block yesterday morning, little boys collecting up handfulls of gravel and throwing them at the front of the rv, footballs kicked directly at our windscreen, cycles being ridden across pitches, through the toilet blocks etc.

Sink estate?

Apart from having paid site fees I have to question the point of bothering to stay a minute longer?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My sympathy. We're at a C & CC site which shall remain unnamed because we have another 3 weeks here, having booked a hardstanding pitch for two adults in our 32' oufit back in January. They put us in the middle of the children's play area on Sunday when we arrived and it took me 4 hours of argument Monday and finally asking for our money back before we were grudgingly moved to the pitch we'd booked. We still have kids on site, millions of them it seems. Three little girls in trainers jumping up and down in the washbasin in the ladies shower block yesterday morning, little boys collecting up handfulls of gravel and throwing them at the front of the rv, footballs kicked directly at our windscreen, cycles being ridden across pitches, through the toilet blocks etc. Not a parent in sight! Roll on the end of half term.
Jan

Hi Jan is there a bar on site? In my limited experience of sites where kids run riot the parents are normally in a bar somewhere. :Angry:

wills5138

Free Member
Apr 9, 2008
Nort West Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Sounds like a nightmare Jan.
I admit that I NEVER go to organised sites during peak holiday periods for the very reason of out of control kids running free.
When mine were young we made sure that they respected other peoples pitches and units and kept away from them.
Perhaps that is why the number of adults only sites is increasing?
When families have nowhere to go, wonder who they will blame?

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Complain to the club's head office. did you get any measurements as they are strict on spaces between units. I have just got back from Northumberland and did a coupleof nights at c&cc. the warden by his own admission was a first timer and put a huge frame tent on the back corner of my van, in fact his guys were pegged under my back wheels (thats how close) I complained to the warden who said " its not doing any harm". So I have written to Head Office. His frame tent was bigger than my van+ 2 cars parked on the other side took up three times the space, wonder what he payed.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
When you see what they charge per night that IS WILD camping,I'd be furious!

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I guess there's a lot to be said for the CC... at least one can expect and receive a good standard... what price the jobsworth warden now then:ROFLMAO:

Euro has this thread helped you make up your mind about which club to join?

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
The site we're on is 3x not 2xC, and there seems to be one rule for one lot (cronies?) and then another. Some have been told to remove windbreaks because they're not allowed, some have up to 4 surrounding their 'empire' and not a word. Some have three cars on their pitch, others can't have visitors. We in an rv have been told that we can't use a hose pipe to fill our fresh tank, we have to go to the MH point to do that in case we would inconvenience the caravanners! All down to the site management which, here anyway, works on the chaos theory.

Having said that, we use a lot of 3xC sites and have never had problems like this before, even on this one.

Jan

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
.....there seems to be one rule for one lot (cronies?) and then another. Some have been told to remove windbreaks because they're not allowed, some have up to 4 surrounding their 'empire' and not a word. Some have three cars on their pitch, others can't have visitors. We in an rv have been told that we can't use a hose pipe to fill our fresh tank, we have to go to the MH point to do that in case we would inconvenience the caravanners!

Jan

I have to ask you once more....apart from having paid site fees, why bother to stay a minute longer on this site?

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
£400 is a lot of dosh to us, and we have friends joining us Sunday in their rv for the next three weeks. Shan't do it again, in fact had it not been for having to change plans to attend a wedding wouldn't have done it this time!:cry:

However, come Sunday things will change, Jan will ensure that in her own sweet way:thumb:

Watch this space!!!

Jan

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
£400 is a lot of dosh to us....
It would be for me also.

Not much help but it it looks like a case of 'benefit of hindsight'. Pity you had booked for such a long period in one place.

Before leaving you ought to make clear to the site owner/operator exactly how you feel and tell them it's not only your future business they have lost, but also other family members and friends etc whom you will be passing on the site name and location to.

Satisfied customer recommendation is far more powerful than any form of advertising so this site will lose trade. I'm sure any of the professional traders on here would agree with that.

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Believe me, sufficient people on this site have complained already, both to the HSMs and to the cx3 club, the visitors book makes interesting reading, just hope it goes to head office.

Because of the price of derv we try to book 3 or 4 weeks in one place and use the car to enjoy the surrounding area, usually works but we make some mistakes and this is one of them:Doh:

Jan

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Jan,

Why not take some pictures and e mail them to the Club. They may not know what their Site Manager is allowing. Copy to the Chief Executive would not go wrong.

David

W

Wilbury

Deleted User

Ralph

Hi Ralph,
If the site had not squeezed in all of those extra visitors I have no doubt that some one would be complaining about just that.
Perhaps this is a "no win" situation for the organisers.
Regards
Wilbury

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
Hello

Sorry to hear your woes. When yo have left this CCC site do name it so we can all avoid it.

traveller

spider

Free Member
Mar 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
:thumb:
Jan

:thumb:Hi Jan, i am sure that i know you both, i asked you about your daybreak as was thinking about having 3072. you came over to us but we had unexpected guests and you did'nt stay we was going to see you on the fri before you left but wife took ill and could'nt make it. we enjoy that park on many occasions through the yr.but what you said is becoming the norm it seems.another grouch is the assistant warden he's no people skills. when we arrived he held his hand up and shouted STOP THERE. walked off , then came back "FOLLOW ME" we looked at each outher and smiled.but was caught by the sargent major :ROFLMAO:its a shame we did'nt have a social but hope to see you lovely people in the future.p.s. many thanks for your info.and beers.hope to return the friendship..:thumb:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
:thumb:
Hi, certainly was us! We've now moved the bar back to Lincolnshire and can reveal that the site in question was Kingsbury Water Park! The assistant HSM was definitely one of the surliest, most miserable beings we've ever come across.

It was good to meet you, keep in touch and good luck with the huge discount on the new rv!!!!

Jan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back