Just Done Three Rounds with a water Tank. (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
THINKS: There must be a way of draining down this fresh water tank.....

Two red caps on the top, one with all the pipes and cables going in, and one for inspection. So I unscrewed the inspection cap, but very limited view, cant see a thing. OK, next, insert arm into tank, and have a feel, it might be just a plug you pull, like on the Fendt caravan.
Cant feel anything, insert more arm........No, nothing. Knees getting stiff, just pull out my arm.....STUCK!! I cant get my bl**dy arm out! OUCH! Just couldn't move it, shoulder hard up against the locker, but I had shoved too much arm in, and the edge of the opening was digging into my skin.....BOO HOO!:helpsos:
Worst of it was, I was on my own, and honestly starting to panic a bit. After about ten mins, and by sort of doing an Olympic weight lifter stance on the locker top, it came out, sore, but otherwise OK.
BL**DY MOTORHOMES! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Right, to the question. How the hell do you drain a 100ltr Hymer fresh water tank down????

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
There is usually a hose that pokes out the back/side of the MH with a tap on it to drain down the Fresh water and another for the grey waste?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There is usually a hose that pokes out the back/side of the MH with a tap on it to drain down the Fresh water and another for the grey waste?

Theres a pipe coming through the floor underneath, Derek, but the tank is hard up against the walls of the side, and the loo wall at it's front, cant see a tap anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I don't know for sure on your van, But on my two Bessies it was a plug like you were looking for, on my Chausson there was a cap on the end of a pipe coming out to the side. Pete

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Last hymer I did the tank was under one of the rear seat bases there were little fittings in the pipework from the tank like a t joint and to drain you just lifted up the part on top of the joint , on this one it was on the other side of the van under the opposite seat base there was also another drain here (same type) for the truma water heater

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Last hymer I did the tank was under one of the rear seat bases there were little fittings in the pipework from the tank like a t joint and to drain you just lifted up the part on top of the joint , on this one it was on the other side of the van under the opposite seat base there was also another drain here (same type) for the truma water heater

Thats the system drain. It sounds like you have to drain the full system to drain down the tank then. That would make sense, as the lever you mention is at floor level. Maybe thats the way, just seems odd having to drain the complete system to empty the tank.
By the way, did you have a sort of low level water light mounted outside the locker, and connected to a low water sender in the tank????????????

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
On my 92 B544 It had a red 'flip up' tap which drained the water system. My current '10 Exsis the only drain I have been able to find is the thermostatic dump valve on the Trauma heater/boiler. If draining for lay up the lazy way may be yo open all the taps and have the waste tank drain open.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
usually when winterising you need to drain down the whole system, which is all the pipes, taps and tanks. Found out the hard on one occasion. Best to open all taps/shower/toilet etc. Some motorhomes I have read about, have to actually run the pump till empty, which can take a while, and a fair bit of power.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dead easy and completely effortless......

Link Removed

Up to 660ltrs/hour so only take 10 minutes

$(KGrHqJHJE0FG9NBy8ELBRvvwcY1ow~~60_12.JPG

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
On our '91 Dethleffs (Hymer-in-disguise) and on our friend's Hymer, also '91, there is a lever in the 'cubbyhole' beside the passenger seat, with <--Aus & Zu ---> labels. A simple twist and thew tank's emptied.

:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On our '91 Dethleffs (Hymer-in-disguise) and on our friend's Hymer, also '91, there is a lever in the 'cubbyhole' beside the passenger seat, with <--Aus & Zu ---> labels. A simple twist and thew tank's emptied.

:thumb:

Thanks, will look for that. Rapidly coming to 'Le Conclusion' that each and every coachbuilder had a slightly different system for this most minor of tasks.:shout:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, will look for that. Rapidly coming to 'Le Conclusion' that each and every coachbuilder had a slightly different system for this most minor of tasks.:shout:

certainly do......

our last Kontiki had a drain tap in front of the water tank which was under the dinette seat......very easy to use if you had double jointed elbows and wrists and of a size like those of a very small child

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
on my Hymer water tank has a sump and small plug to drain down. also from bottom of boiler there is a manifold which both hot and cold feed through on this to drain simply lift plunger.
look underneath van and try to establish where all the drain pipes statr from inside the van this should give you a clue.
good luck:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Thats the system drain. It sounds like you have to drain the full system to drain down the tank then. That would make sense, as the lever you mention is at floor level. Maybe thats the way, just seems odd having to drain the complete system to empty the tank.
By the way, did you have a sort of low level water light mounted outside the locker, and connected to a low water sender in the tank????????????
Can't remember a separate tap to just drain the water tank or as it happens a light, but then it was a customers van so I had only seen it a few times.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A couple of metres of hosepipe, stick one end in the tank, keep the other end lower and suck till the water syphons out...............easy :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A couple of metres of hosepipe, stick one end in the tank, keep the other end lower and suck till the water syphons out...............easy :Smile:

Sucking pipes?? Thats one for the wife............Er, didnt mean it like that.:Blush::Blush:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back