Discover Leisure loss widens (1 Viewer)

News

NewsHound
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
Discover Leisure loss widens, says meeting Q4 expectations a challenge

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - Caravan and motorhome dealer Discover leisure Plc. said meeting trading expectations in the final three months of the year will be challenging due to the economic conditions.

Announcing a pretax loss of 1.8 million pounds for the six months to end February, widening from 788,000 pounds the previous year, and revenue up to 51.8<!-- start of mpu --> <script type="text/javascript">loadAd('mpu');</script>million pounds from 10.1 million, the group said its first half was in line with expectations. However, it added that the outlook for the second six months is more uncertain.

The operator of 16 branches across the UK said the normal seasonal uplift was depressed by an early Easter and worse than average weather which led to lower than expected results in March and April. The group added that better weather in May heralded a clear uplift with higher volumes in all areas which were closer to expectations.
simon.meads@thomsonreuters.com sjm 28 May 2008

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think discover leisure own Barrons the motorhome dealer among others. Looks like things are going to get tough in the motor leisure industry if they aren't already:whatthe:

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
I think discover leisure own Barrons the motorhome dealer among others. Looks like things are going to get tough in the motor leisure industry if they aren't already:whatthe:

Indeed, hopefully the smart ones will have tucked something away for the rainy days.

Lets face it, they must have been raking it in for the past 5+ years. The volume of expensive motor homes on the road has never been higher.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Big isn't neccessarily profitable, some people have lost an awful lot of money on DSL's share price. Was a high of 30p now hovering around the 7p mark:cry:

For the full report click on interim results

Link Removed

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
best time to buy

Now is the best time to buy that`s if you have the money!,as they can only go one way.

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Whats the minimun share holding for share holders perks and any one know what they might be?

M

mnd

Deleted User
I think all dealers must be feeling the pinch :Sad: Link Removed

Dave

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
I think all dealers must be feeling the pinch :Sad: Link Removed

Dave

there is a lot of discounting at the moment ,saw a add in mail ÂŁ6000 of retail on autocruis :Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Dont panic things will be OK now i bought the shares:winky:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

You should offer to take over the customer after care service John now you are a big player in the organisation

stew

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Wow, I just looked at mnd's link. The discount they can give on Ebay over the showground price is amazing.

Make & Model: Autotrail Cheiftain

New Un-Registered with Full Body & Chassis Manufacturer's Warranty

The Chieftain, with its permanent double bed, significant lounge area, fully fitted and equipped kitchen and en-suite washroom with separate shower cubicle offers you uncompromised comfort and space. Finished to the highest standards to cater for all of the requirements of the discerning motorhomer.

RRP: ÂŁ63,260 on the road

Showground Price: ÂŁ58,500 on the road

eBay Online Auction Price: ÂŁ51,995

Just shows that despite all they say - we have to pay VAT, we only make a small mark up dealers are making fortunes unless of course they are claiming this is a special, we are selling at a loss etc :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A friend of mine has just bought a MH that was being advertised for ÂŁ17000. He offered the guy ÂŁ12k and got it! Not a good time to be selling a motorhome

stew

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
In this weeks Mail (I think it was Clevland m/h's) were offering Autocruse vans at 30 k instead of 36k,so sombody is doing somthing right:ROFLMAO:
terry

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Just heard Discover closed another 2 branches today , Weston and Newport closed their doors .

Mark

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
To be honest, we went into their shop in Cannock for a Fiamma step, one they were less than intrested, two they wanted a fortune, in the end I brought a Fiamma step from John Cross for much less including the postage ::bigsmile:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Now is the best time to buy that`s if you have the money!,as they can only go one way.

Sorry Potjoe but after many years I've learned that a SP can always go three ways:-

a) It can go UP

b) It can stay LEVEL

c) It can do DOWN

The interesting thing is that there's loads of people on Bloomberg and in the City who'll tell you what's going to happen - They don't know anything :ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sorry Potjoe but after many years I've learned that a SP can always go three ways:-

a) It can go UP

b) It can stay LEVEL

c) It can do DOWN

The interesting thing is that there's loads of people on Bloomberg and in the City who'll tell you what's going to happen - They don't know anything :ROFLMAO:
Not good news from Discover

However, the company's future now depends on unsecured creditors also accepting cuts in what they are owed.
Discover Leisure said on Friday it had offered unsecured creditors, which include Britain's tax authorities, about 2.2 million pounds of the 10 million owed.
The payments, to be made over five years, would be under a company voluntary arrangement, a mechanism used by struggling retailer JJB Sports in April.
The company said if the CVA proposal is not accepted "there is a likelihood that the group will be placed into administration or liquidation".
Shares in the AIM-listed firm dropped 29 percent to 0.75 pence in Friday morning trade.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We were in our local Discover store three weeks ago and the place was heaving so theres no downturn in interest. I had a go at kicking tyres and noticed that a fair few vans had "sold" signs on them. I was really taken aback by the price of some of the mh's and caravans. Its a bit obvious that people aint got the money to buy in volume.
Most people would need to get involved with finance to be able to afford these vans and when you arent sure whether you going to have a job tomorrow thats the last thing you going to do.

Moving inside the shop it looked like a plague of locusts had hit it. There was no downturn on the purchase of bits and bobs.

There were very few staff around and I actually asked a customer were the water containers were. We actually had an argument about were they were until we both realised what was going on then we had a good laugh.

All in all bits n bobs goin well to established motorhomers-tuggers, van sales are going to get worse before they get better.

Jim
:Smile:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
A tugger friend had is van in for warranty work at the weston branch which ceased trading yesterday. He is now wondering how to get his van back. Anyone have any suggestions how he should proceed?

And Papajohn buying a motorhome is not an option :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back