Morocco - Essential foodstuffs (1 Viewer)

Feb 20, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5yrs
Hi - I have been reading the Morocco 2013 & 2014 posts with great interest. We are going in November for 60 + days. Just wondering if there any 'essential' foodstuffs (not inc booze) to take that aren't available over there - obviously bacon & pork - but can you get pasta/rice/peppers/potatoes/cheese.

May sound a daft question but I am busy making lists of dried produce (weight issue - van not us!!) - feel sure there is plenty I have missed.

Chris

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
food to take .
chedder cheese
porridge oats (for making muesli )
bacon
gammon joints
custard
brown sauce
worcester sauce (you may find this if you are very lucky)
xmas pudding
tinned meats
most veg can be found or something to make a veg meal;.
meat except pork is easy every village as chicken beef goat lamb
you can find pork in the bigger cities but its expensive .
you could at one time buy wild boar meat in agadir but its hard to find . plus i think its getting short supply now .
mixed dried fruit is expensive there buy it here .
take loads of beer and wine from spain .

OP
OP
TravelsRus
Feb 20, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5yrs
Thanks for that - Xmas pudding Brilliant - I would never have thought of that

Plus other stuff

Cheers

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i take mince meat for pies at xmas make nice fresh on xmas morning .
xmas cakes can be another thing to take .
anything you really like take even to france /spain . you can get lots of things and its getting better . i,m used to going to maroc since 76 . then if you wanted it you couldnt get it . so we over the years have worked out what to take or buy in the countries we visit . tooth paste is another thing but not for eating .
something else thats usefull is a cheap disinfectant . ideal for washing work surfaces and even mixing with water for washing yourself . helps if bitten by flies etc . handy if short of water out in the wilds . plus for medical use . washing cuts etc .you can sometimes see it but its hard to ask for in some languages . cheap in uk supermarkets .

Last edited:
OP
OP
TravelsRus
Feb 20, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5yrs
I like the idea of mince meat for freshly cooked mince pies - although will probably take frozen short crust. Disinfectant also on my list.

You obviously are a seasoned Moroccan traveller if you've been going since '76 - I take it you like it over there. I've only been to Marrakesh for a few dayson a girls break so a whole new adventure for us & 4 or 5 vans travelling with us - although one of the group has been a couple of times.

Thanks again

Chris

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
missed the last few years it as changed so much . got a bit fed up the last year ,but it was just before riots in the very north . we felt something wasnt right . friends that i have known from kids were cagey . not saying enough . we were on our way to see some of the riots and got hassle from the police . we parked in larache by the police staion . a few hours aftr we left it was burnt down . nothing to do with us . but we had been with moroccan friends that night and it was strange . afew other friends left maroc early we just felt something . might get back one year possibly this one if the weather is bad in spain .
even my grown upkids speak some arabic . there was a time i was thinking of living there . but not now . all north africa is great . cant wait for the trouble in libya to stop . then tunisia libya egypt will be back on the travel places to go . it was great there.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Morocco

The people who organised our trip last year just asked us to bring them brown sauce! But we'd say that unless you are going to shop in the marjane supermarkets! you will need a strong stomach to buy meat the way they display and butcher it. Oh, and take plenty of Immodium and antibiotics.

OP
OP
TravelsRus
Feb 20, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5yrs
Thanks - I'd heard reports about the meat sellers. Not thought about antibiotics - did you get them from your own GP or can you get them from a Spanish pharmacy?

Cheers

Chris

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
anti biotics can be bought over the counter in chemists .
as a butcher slaughterman and a trained chef i can assure you beef hung up outside is ok .and the lamb or camel .
pork would go off in hours . thats why its dirty meat .
you can dry strips of beef on stones in the sun . we used to do it on further tripos south . its very common in many african countries . the beef is fresh . and believe me i have ate loads of it . have even helped out in one of the butchers in banana village .
trouble is today folk have forgotten that fridges in butchers are relatively new in uk . windows were cooled by water slowly dripping from a tank behind the window display . it ran under wire racks under the trayed displays, evaporation causes coldness . that was still happening in uk in the late 60,s .

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The people who organised our trip last year just asked us to bring them brown sauce! But we'd say that unless you are going to shop in the marjane supermarkets! you will need a strong stomach to buy meat the way they display and butcher it. Oh, and take plenty of Immodium and antibiotics.

We found most of the butchers very clean. I expected all the meat to be covered in flies and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't. Meat was decent quality.

As for Imodium we didn't need it in the 10 weeks we were there. You do have to be careful though - we avoided eating salad in restaurants and any drinks with ice. We used sterilising tablets for our water and always carried an antibacterial handwash wherever we went.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i drink most of the water just like the locals . i do have a doulton berkenfeld system for water filtering but hardly ever use it . there are some real modern water and desalination plants in maroc now . mind now nearly ever house as tap water . not like it used to be . only wells and spring water .
the thing is you can monitor your own hygiene if you cook prepare your own food .
mind maroc hobbs bread takes some beating .

AlanVal

Free Member
Jan 3, 2008
S W Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Thanks for the good advice Alan.I got the blood test results printed out from the vet just waiting on the green card from Saga they I'd say t was posted out last Friday phone call today if its not here 2 weeks till we leave home might nip down o Portugal for a few weeks .Heading to Morocco md Dec for 3 months .might catch you around somewhere ..

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Don't forget if your dog eats a particular food you will need enough for his needs.
I also made up a first aid kit for my dog of potentially useful items including suture needles in case there was a need to stich something up. Moroccans seem to enjoy breaking bottles particlarly at the back of beaches.

Small animal vets will probably only be found in large cities.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
vets can be found in just about all the towns . even some villages . dentists vets hospitals are as good as here . over the years have visited several dentists and hospitals . its usually free but you pay for things used or prescribed . friends have had broken legs and arms set and plastered . usually less than 100 quid sees it done .
dont worry needles etc are all new in the wrappers . they arent behind us at all on medical things .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sshhh i might be able to corner the market as fb salesman . dont tell them to take them . bet i have the biggest stock of them this winter . hee hee .
the dutch and germand love em . they also love chedder cheese .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back