Sat Dish (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Guys I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the thread basically I intend to fit a dome on the roof,my question is whats the best make and size. Also can it be done without a hole in the roof because that gives me the wobbles

Bill

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Guys I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the thread basically I intend to fit a dome on the roof,my question is whats the best make and size. Also can it be done without a hole in the roof because that gives me the wobbles

Bill

Bill, if you only going to use it in UK a dome is fine ( cannot recommend one as never used them ) but travel across into france and beyond and you have wasted your money.

As far as fitting without drilling - sorry you will need to drill through the roof.

Have fun.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Bill, if you only going to use it in UK a dome is fine ( cannot recommend one as never used them ) but travel across into france and beyond and you have wasted your money.

As far as fitting without drilling - sorry you will need to drill through the roof.

Have fun.
It will be mainly in the uk, this drilling the roof I don't know.

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
It will be mainly in the uk, this drilling the roof I don't know.

Bill

If you even thinking about going into Europe do not fit a dome as you will kick yourself everyday you are in Europe........

A tripod mounted system ( when you get the hang of it ) works as well as any dome or automatic system and best of all NO drilling.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there is also a junction box that goes through the roof and when sealed with good old Sicaflex is unlikely to leak.:thumb:

the main thing is make sure where the hole is going to enter the van..:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could get away without drilling the roof but you would need a quantum twin receiver and transmitter....but as these havent yet been invented you do need a hole through the roof. :roflmto:

drilling the roof can be daunting but as long as you measure twice (at least) and drill once (at most) its really not that scary.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We had a Link Removed dome installed on the new van, a) it was cheaper and all the dealer handled and 2) we had problems in high winds with the Oyster we left on the old one. We had no coverage problems as far south as Geneva but the predicted footprint for the replacement satellite is on their website.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Multimo

I have used a Multimo tripod mounted 45cm dish for the past 6 yrs. I purchased it from RoadPro at a show.
We get all UK programmes in mid France and even get programmes on Astra 1 whilst in Spain.
easy to set up once you get the knack of it.
No holes needed as the cable can come in via a side window

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
similar to the multimo i use an Arcon sweety 57cm dish ( equivelant to an offset 80cm dish ) on tripod been great all the way down to norther Spain so far, using old sky box and our card from home for regional [STRIKE]Rugby[/STRIKE] TV. no tried it further south yet and await what the new sat beam will bring.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you want the best I would recommend KVH. KVH are the worlds largest dome manufacturer. I use an R4 Twin LNB unit on my motorhome as I use Sky+

KVH are very very simple to use, with my set up for example I have one green switch to flick, I pick up my Sky remote and that's it. Just like being at home.

With a KVH dome, you can rest assured that the KVH badge on the dome means that it is actually manufactured by KVH. Not all domes are like this.

The other advantage of KVH domes is there is a 30cm version available for smaller motorhomes, which in some cases look daft with the normal 40cm dome one the roof.

Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back