Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Just to help others in that i suffered from power loss when i thought all was switched off.

The "electrics cupboard" pictured from my Miami shows all but if you look to the left and right of the Red and Yellow plugs on the lower right hand side you will see Two small rocker switches, these were the culprits. They allow power to my 10" combined TV/Reverse monitor, reversing camera and the CD/DVD/Tuner of which all were happily fully powered (no warning lights etc) 24/7.

Off course there is nothing in any manual so i found out the hard way.

I hope this benefits somebody.

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 103

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just to help others in that i suffered from power loss when i thought all was switched off.

The "electrics cupboard" pictured from my Miami shows all but if you look to the left and right of the Red and Yellow plugs on the lower right hand side you will see Two small rocker switches, these were the culprits. They allow power to my 10" combined TV/Reverse monitor, reversing camera and the CD/DVD/Tuner of which all were happily fully powered (no warning lights etc) 24/7.

Off course there is nothing in any manual so i found out the hard way.

I hope this benefits somebody.

Many thanks for highlighting this, I had a look in our Dakota earlier tonight and ours are in the "on" position and have been since we got the van in early September. Touch wood so far, we haven't experienced any power drain, but will keep an eye on it from now on:thumb:
Regards, Bill

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
One of the biggest drains is the infra red on the rear camera, something you never think about but if switched on it's always powering the lights, which of course you cant see with the naked eye.. Soon drains the battery when on 24 hours a day..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
One of the biggest drains is the infra red on the rear camera, something you never think about but if switched on it's always powering the lights, which of course you cant see with the naked eye.. Soon drains the battery when on 24 hours a day..

Thanks for this, I'd never really thought about this, but just had a look and can actually see the lights on the camera just now as it's pitch black outside. Didn't realise that this could potentially drain the battery as it's on 24 hours a day, this is really handy to know. We've only had the van since the start of September and didn't have the reversing camera etc in the previous van.
We always have it on EHU at home as we keep the fridge on, but wondered if having the radio/cd player on during the day would drain the vehicle battery.
Margaret always has the cd player on if she's in the van and I tell her she will flatten the battery:Doh:::bigsmile:
Bill

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Many thanks for highlighting this, I had a look in our Dakota earlier tonight and ours are in the "on" position and have been since we got the van in early September. Touch wood so far, we haven't experienced any power drain, but will keep an eye on it from now on:thumb:
Regards, Bill

Cheers Bill,
It was not massive something like 0.1/0.2 per day but with one leisure battery it stacked up. Now with two batteries and a habit of switching off on arrival all is well, again.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for this, I'd never really thought about this, but just had a look and can actually see the lights on the camera just now as it's pitch black outside. Didn't realise that this could potentially drain the battery as it's on 24 hours a day, this is really handy to know. We've only had the van since the start of September and didn't have the reversing camera etc in the previous van.
We always have it on EHU at home as we keep the fridge on, but wondered if having the radio/cd player on during the day would drain the vehicle battery.
Margaret always has the cd player on if she's in the van and I tell her she will flatten the battery:Doh:::bigsmile:
Bill

Your CD can certainly drain the cab battery so be careful, that's why some radios have a cut off so that when the engine is not running they will turn off after, say an hour..
On the Autotrails there is also a constant drain from the power supply unit if that is left turned on inside the cupboard. It's 0.2amps so that's nearly 5 amps per 24 hour period.
If you have a solar panel then no problem it will keep up with that, if not then best to turn off the power supply if the van is left for long periods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Your CD can certainly drain the cab battery so be careful, that's why some radios have a cut off so that when the engine is not running they will turn off after, say an hour..
On the Autotrails there is also a constant drain from the power supply unit if that is left turned on inside the cupboard. It's 0.2amps so that's nearly 5 amps per 24 hour period.
If you have a solar panel then no problem it will keep up with that, if not then best to turn off the power supply if the van is left for long periods.

Thanks for this, we use the van everyday just about, as it's our only vehicle now, so it never sits for any length of time. When we had the Elddis the radio/cd only stayed on for 10 minutes at a time before switching off, but when we got the Dakota the dealer had fitted a brand new Pioneer cd/radio/dvd player into it and it's a real pleasure to listen to:thumb:
We're still learning and finding out things about the van, but have no solar panel so will watch what's left on in future.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back