LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's all down to condition. It looks like everything you need for a good time is there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
may well be genuine BUT if you look at the photo of the milometer the 22's are out of line which used to indicate that a vehicle had been clocked, would want to see all previous mot's to be sure before I parted with any cash

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Ask Gail.......

That looks very much like the vehicle that Gail (Ourcampersbeentrashed) used to own.... she posted yesterday (I think) about having seen it for sale again!

She may be much better placed than many to give an informed opinion as to the merits of the vehicle... a PM may be best!

I'm not really qualified to give anyone advice to buy or not buy a particular vehicle, as I've made some top mistakes in my time, but if the vehicle is advertised for £5000, why have you been offered it for £3500? Without extensively researching the price of that or similar vehicles, my gut feeling is that £5000 would be the lower price for such a vehicle, making £3500 a bit suspicious to cynical old me.

Hope that rambling helps you but feel free to ignore it as many others may know much more than me.

Simon

(call me pedantic as well but I'm not sure how much to trust a dealer that appears unable to spell the word 'berth')

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That looks very much like the vehicle that Gail (Ourcampersbeentrashed) used to own.... she posted yesterday (I think) about having seen it for sale again!
No wrong number of registration

She may be much better placed than many to give an informed opinion as to the merits of the vehicle... a PM may be best!

I'm not really qualified to give anyone advice to buy or not buy a particular vehicle, as I've made some top mistakes in my time, but if the vehicle is advertised for £5000, why have you been offered it for £3500? Without extensively researching the price of that or similar vehicles, my gut feeling is that £5000 would be the lower price for such a vehicle, making £3500 a bit suspicious to cynical old me.

Hope that rambling helps you but feel free to ignore it as many others may know much more than me.

Simon
No wrong number of registration

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Simon

A good point Simon

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Looking at the photos ...IF and it is a big IF those photos are of the van being sold...then the front seats do NOT look they have had a lot of wear....also the inside seating looks good as well (it should not have had any reupholstering for that low milage) ..also the floor looks fine around the fronts seats ...now the milage as it is close to changing to 23000 I can understand why the 2 (22,977) is not in line... as it should be on the move to a 3...in 23000 miles

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Worry 1.. Bit price drop so it's either overpriced to start with or they just want to dump it..

2. Motor dealer but not motorhomes so they maybe wont even look for problems a motorhome or caravan dealer may find.

3. Do you ever plan to carry passengers especially kids.. As no rear belts and only side seats..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
area phone code 01782 is Stoke on Trent.....DF Motors are in Newcastle under lyme....could just be a transfered number.

10 stratford avenue, the listed business address, is a private house.....not a garage/showroom.

veiw and check logbook against vehicle before parting with cash.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
you can doa check on the mileage from the old MOT's
all looks genuine to me.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well i would not part with any money till you actually see in in the flesh as they say but it looks like a good van for the money and you cant go wrong for spares nether most of the fiat ducato bit's fit it but like i say touch it fell it confirm ownership
wee got our last van off ebay November 2012 £2400 sold it for 2000 so they hold there price fairly well and you can have fun good luck:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Here goes

We have owned two of these vehicles but if they were still made I would have bought another far newer one eg 2007 onwards that was LEZ compliant.

We found the petrol one had better fuel economy, pulled better and was quicker than the diesel one, albeit the petrol one was 1988 and the diesel was a 1990. They crawl at about 50mph uphill so dont expect a speedy arrival. There is no power steering so they are quite heavy on the arms, especially to park.

Parts for these such as headlights and grilles are extremely hard to come by. The whole front of ours was stolen purely for the parts about 3 years ago. Although three types of vehicle used the same parts including the citroen C5 parts for all three are now scarce for this type of front

The one you are looking at may have damp in the bathroom and the overcab. If you decide to look at it, take a damp tester make sure you check all corners, top and bottom and joins especially in the roof also open all the cupboards and check inside. From the pictures it looks as if the seals need re-doing ie around the aluminium bands that go over the top side of the vehicle.

Dont be shy in touching the ceiling especially around the skylights, if the ceiling does not feel hard, dont buy it.

The doors on these tend not to make a full seal when they shut after some years so check that too.

The difference between our highwayman and bedouin were fly screens, cooker extractor and the boiler was enclosed. We also had additional sockets. The bodykits were the same.

Look underneath on the drivers door as from the photos it looks as if the step has been removed.

If you like it, see if the local council does mot testing and vehicle checking and get it taken in (go with them) and tested before buying. If the owner does not consent to this, then dont touch it with a barge pole.

If you want some pictures for comparison our old one has been advertised on ebay here is the link. Its in a sorry state compared to how we sold it but hope this helps, you can also see where the damp is in the bathroom..

Link Removed

Both our motorhomes were reliable, but they did occasionally break down (usually at the stratford upon avon show) as I am sure funsters will remember when the starter motor went. We could only get a reconditioned starter motor, not a new one as an example.

Another tip, look at the backs of the seat cushions to see if they are showing damp or feel damp

If it was nearer we would happily have looked at it for you and if parts were more readily available I would have less concerns in recommending this as a vehicle type to purchase and keep for a few years.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
area phone code 01782 is Stoke on Trent.....DF Motors are in Newcastle under lyme....could just be a transfered number.

10 stratford avenue, the listed business address, is a private house.....not a garage/showroom.

veiw and check logbook against vehicle before parting with cash.

Stoke is right next to N-U-L - in fact the two run into each other, so quite likely correct. Some of these small traders operate from home but are still traders under business legislation. I would be wary of a motor trader selling a motorhome too - years ago we bought our Bedford Bambi that way and while it was mechanically ok, the habitation area was downright dangerous when it was checked out. At that age, it may be riddled with damp, so take care with a purchase like that - dealer will not be helping you with issues after a sale!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Stoke is right next to N-U-L - in fact the two run into each other, so quite likely correct. Some of these small traders operate from home but are still traders under business legislation. I would be wary of a motor trader selling a motorhome too - years ago we bought our Bedford Bambi that way and while it was mechanically ok, the habitation area was downright dangerous when it was checked out. At that age, it may be riddled with damp, so take care with a purchase like that - dealer will not be helping you with issues after a sale!

agreed Laurie, but i would have expected stoke to have its own exchange.

googling the phone number brought up many adverts on many sites by this seller so it probably is genuine...but you can never be too careful.

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here goes

We have owned two of these vehicles but if they were still made I would have bought another far newer one eg 2007 onwards that was LEZ compliant.

We found the petrol one had better fuel economy, pulled better and was quicker than the diesel one, albeit the petrol one was 1988 and the diesel was a 1990. They crawl at about 50mph uphill so dont expect a speedy arrival. There is no power steering so they are quite heavy on the arms, especially to park.

Parts for these such as headlights and grilles are extremely hard to come by. The whole front of ours was stolen purely for the parts about 3 years ago. Although three types of vehicle used the same parts including the citroen C5 parts for all three are now scarce for this type of front

The one you are looking at may have damp in the bathroom and the overcab. If you decide to look at it, take a damp tester make sure you check all corners, top and bottom and joins especially in the roof also open all the cupboards and check inside. From the pictures it looks as if the seals need re-doing ie around the aluminium bands that go over the top side of the vehicle.

Dont be shy in touching the ceiling especially around the skylights, if the ceiling does not feel hard, dont buy it.

The doors on these tend not to make a full seal when they shut after some years so check that too.

The difference between our highwayman and bedouin were fly screens, cooker extractor and the boiler was enclosed. We also had additional sockets. The bodykits were the same.

Look underneath on the drivers door as from the photos it looks as if the step has been removed.

If you like it, see if the local council does mot testing and vehicle checking and get it taken in (go with them) and tested before buying. If the owner does not consent to this, then dont touch it with a barge pole.

If you want some pictures for comparison our old one has been advertised on ebay here is the link. Its in a sorry state compared to how we sold it but hope this helps, you can also see where the damp is in the bathroom..

Link Removed

Both our motorhomes were reliable, but they did occasionally break down (usually at the stratford upon avon show) as I am sure funsters will remember when the starter motor went. We could only get a reconditioned starter motor, not a new one as an example.

Another tip, look at the backs of the seat cushions to see if they are showing damp or feel damp

If it was nearer we would happily have looked at it for you and if parts were more readily available I would have less concerns in recommending this as a vehicle type to purchase and keep for a few years.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks allot I will try and check everything If I go and look at it

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
please do not get disheartened :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

It took us 8 months to find our first vehicle and even longer than that to find our current one.

If stories from other funsters are anything to go buy, you will just know it when you see it. but just make sure you get it fully checked out first xxxx

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
please do not get disheartened :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

It took us 8 months to find our first vehicle and even longer than that to find our current one.

If stories from other funsters are anything to go buy, you will just know it when you see it. but just make sure you get it fully checked out first xxxx

Hi thanks. It is frustrating but there is one out there somewhere, could do with a personal expert tagging along but the more I look the more I'm learning

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
better to be disappointed a few times than be really pi$$ed off once with a 'bad un'

nobody is intentionally putting you off, just pointing out the bad ones, and you'll find the one eventually. :thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Go and have a look , it looks fine to me , for that price how can you go wrong and has been said the phone no is correct for Newcastle , same exchange number as stoke, did you ring him for the price or how did you get it offered for 3 and half.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i wouldnt be put of by the price drop a lot of dealers get fed up and need to change their stock from time to time they know if it dont sell soon theyll have to store it till spring

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Go and have a look , it looks fine to me , for that price how can you go wrong and has been said the phone no is correct for Newcastle , same exchange number as stoke, did you ring him for the price or how did you get it offered for 3 and half.
Email but he as given me a mobile number to ring

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
agreed Laurie, but i would have expected stoke to have its own exchange.

googling the phone number brought up many adverts on many sites by this seller so it probably is genuine...but you can never be too careful.

East Mids is a strange place :winky: Burton on Trent has a Derby post code, and Derby exchange provides phone numbers for far afield. Worked in Stoke years ago and there is an ill defined border with N-U-L - definitely cross over with phone numbers etc. One of the hospitals is in N-U-L, the other in Stoke itself. Funny old set up - Stoke is actually 5 towns plus joins up with N-U-L all very confusing.

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'd get down there before it's gone, but give it a good looking at , as as been said plenty about

Cannot get there till Saturday I'm afraid but I might get lucky

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
talk to them and see if they will save it fore you or get someone to check it out for you to make sure it's genuine best of luck if you get it your not far from us come to my meet best regards bill

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I know it's a long way from Cleckhuddersfax....

...... but I saw this ad and thought that it seemed a better bet for £3500:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...reat-camper-for-sale/1031500374#photo-content

Maybe I'm a soft touch, but the way the ad is written has a sense of honesty to it, and the van itself seems straight enough from the pictures.

Usual caveats apply as ever but maybe worth a look if the surfer dudes selling want a quick sale to fund their return trip down under!

Simon

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
...... but I saw this ad and thought that it seemed a better bet for £3500:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...reat-camper-for-sale/1031500374#photo-content

Maybe I'm a soft touch, but the way the ad is written has a sense of honesty to it, and the van itself seems straight enough from the pictures.

Usual caveats apply as ever but maybe worth a look if the surfer dudes selling want a quick sale to fund their return trip down under!

Simon
yes i have to agree look like a better deal all round:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back