mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
whilst travelling down through Europe these last few weeks and stopping at various camp sites I have become increasingly aware of what I call 'caravan refuges' these are people who are creating permanent or semi permanent pitches, they park up their van's, raise them up on the support stands or what ever and then put up wind blockers, bamboo fencing, and various bits of Tarpaulin.....doesn't it look unsightly??? these pitches end up as 'camp sites within camp site's' will this change the future of how we perceive motor homing :Cool:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Its an extension of those people who create 'Fort Apache' with wind breaks,flagpoles and fairy lights. I've even seen some with gates and windows!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
will this change the future of how we perceive motor homing :Cool:
how can what static tuggers get up to affect how motorhoming is perceived. Yet another reason to avoid sites. There are many degrees of " homeless, new age/old age travellers" why should we be bothered each to their own. as long as there is room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in maroc the french do it on the free camps . some even take white plastic chain link fencing and fake grass . plastic flowers in pots etc . its that sort of thing that messed thr free camps up. they have been doing it on french sites twenty years ago its not new there .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
in maroc the french do it on the free camps . some even take white plastic chain link fencing and fake grass . plastic flowers in pots etc . its that sort of thing that messed thr free camps up. they have been doing it on french sites twenty years ago its not new there .
It's not new in France either. Some low cost sites are like refugee camps.
I find that the UK is becoming similar with more and more site owners now taking seasonal bookings with the caravans or motorhomes being left in a similar state when not occupied.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might be more as house prices go up and more cant pay the mortgage .
mind we shall have to wait and see.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We went to Northern Italy in 2010, stayed at Camping Lido/

There were plenty of Caravans there as described, some even had roofs built over the top,
they didn't look very nice and appeared to be occupied by "long stay" travellers.

Some travellers left their vans in situ and flew back to their home country for work etc.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
It won't change the way I perceive motor homing because I'm not a caravaner!
Just had a great day out on the river Nene with my 2 kids on my kayak.Got mrs Vlad to drop us upstream and meet us at the campsite at Yarwell Mill so we could check it out!
When we got there it was a great location,mill pond,lake,river,however it was full of caravans with awnings ,fences ,patios,obviously permanent pitches.There were also some static caravans and only a few true tourers .They made Mrs Vlad park outside but let her in too look around,on the way out I asked about site fees at reception to be told that for 2 adults and 2children plus dog it would be £24 per night without hookup :Eeek:
Then I was told that I was illegally using my Kayak and that if I wanted she would sell me a 7 day licence for £8 :ROFLMAO:
Now when you think there's no shop or bar,and that as a near local I know of half a dozen places along that stretch of river where I can pull up and park for nothing.Why the hell would I want too stay there?
Thank god I'm a motor-homer and not a caravaner!::bigsmile:
As far as a licence goes never seen a patrol boat yet ,and if spotted feel confident about outrunning them!

Vlad the unstoppable !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 22

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We went to Northern Italy in 2010, stayed at Camping Lido/

There were plenty of Caravans there as described, some even had roofs built over the top,
they didn't look very nice and appeared to be occupied by "long stay" travellers.

Some travellers left their vans in situ and flew back to their home country for work etc.

thats quite common and as been around certainly since the 60,s . it gives shade to the caravans . in summer . even tents camp underneath the shelters . many have them . it also serves in winter to keep the rain and snow off them . spain and portugal have them as well.
remember years ago the continental frame tent would be a fixture on many camp sites abroad . families lived in then at every opportunity . in fact many lived in them when we toured in the early 60,s . i was only a kid but i knew several families year after year the tents lasted ages under the shelters .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back