Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
Hi peeps, back from 18 months of a brilliant time in France, got a job and put 'Holly' into storage for the moment. Have had thoughts about renting her out. Does anyone have any opinions on this and if so do you have any recommendations on reputable companies to go with?:thanks2:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As above I would not do it, it is your pride and joy not the person hiring it so that persion will abuse it. Leave it in storage clean as you would clean it ready to role and enjoy the drive out of storage knowing it is how you left it..........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I once rented my RV out to a TV company as somewhere for the artists to sit and have there makeup and hair done. I drove it to the set and was paid very well for the job. No one slept in it and no cooking was done in it. Only under those circumstances would I ever consider renting out my van. They paid £700 per week 10 years ago.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just imagine, someone who drives a company car flat out all day will get in your van and try and drive it the same. They'll slam the drawers and cupboards shut, over wind the roof vents, leave the vents and windows open when driving and drop chocolate and orange squash/ juice on the seats.
Apart from that, it's a good idea
Allan

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And as well as destroying your home, just ask about insurance and theft.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Rented our old Bessacar E695 out in 2007/2008 for about 7 hires.

Never Again.

A. Cooker written off when a drunken youngster came down from the overcab bed and stepped on the oven door which some other drunken youngster had not lifted properly.

B. Thetford toilet overflowing after a couple hired it to go to Glastonbury, they didn't know how to empty the casstte even though there was an instruction book.

C. Lady on holiday from Australia hired it for a week, she forgot to shut one of the side windows. Whilst driving along the M6 the wind got underneath the window and it was last seen floating across the other carriageway.

D. Someone hired it and managed to rip of the grey water emptying pipe and mounting.

E. More cutlery thrown out by mistake than was left at the end.

F. Got a tax bill from HMRC for the money I had taken. Had to provide a full set of accounts to them, then ended up paying them £140 for "profit".

When we got our replacement in 2009 we vowed we would never rent it out again.

Never, Never, Never

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Sounds like you're quite attached to your motorhome if you've given her a name. That should answer your question ::bigsmile:

Do remember what a big learning curve is involved in driving/staying in a motorhome. Nothing on mine seems to work like it does at home. Every piece of equipment has it's own knack. My back door lock has been broken by everyone I've ever given my keys to. I would think it's almost guaranteed that a hirer would mess something up. :Doh: I know that you'd probably take a deposit from every hirer, but think of the hassle and possible unpleasantness of sorting out issues post hire. :Doh:

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Rented our old Bessacar E695 out in 2007/2008 for about 7 hires.

Never Again.

A. Cooker written off when a drunken youngster came down from the overcab bed and stepped on the oven door which some other drunken youngster had not lifted properly.

B. Thetford toilet overflowing after a couple hired it to go to Glastonbury, they didn't know how to empty the casstte even though there was an instruction book.

C. Lady on holiday from Australia hired it for a week, she forgot to shut one of the side windows. Whilst driving along the M6 the wind got underneath the window and it was last seen floating across the other carriageway.

D. Someone hired it and managed to rip of the grey water emptying pipe and mounting.

E. More cutlery thrown out by mistake than was left at the end.

F. Got a tax bill from HMRC for the money I had taken. Had to provide a full set of accounts to them, then ended up paying them £140 for "profit".

When we got our replacement in 2009 we vowed we would never rent it out again.

Never, Never, Never

that's almost as many problems as hires :cry:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
that's almost as many problems as hires :cry:

Your'e correct and that didn't include all the trivual complaints we got such as:

The water heater is not instantanious? (Storage type)

The Iron didn't work? (We found nothing wrong with it)

How do you connect the TV? (Instructions provided)

I do not think that a hire went by when someone wasn't on the 'phone to us.

The only real complaint was when 5th gear failed on the M6 motorway, they had to drive it all the way back to Wiltshire using 4 gears only. Quite heavy on fuel they informed me.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Hi peeps, back from 18 months of a brilliant time in France, got a job and put 'Holly' into storage for the moment. Have had thoughts about renting her out. Does anyone have any opinions on this and if so do you have any recommendations on reputable companies to go with?:thanks2:

I am tempted to ask what Holly looks like:ROFLMAO:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Someone else using my Helga?

I wouldn't even consider lending my Helga to someone I knew and trusted never mind some huge risk that wanted to pay the minimum amount and cared not about the vehicle, thinking "but it's insured isn't it?"

Simon
:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
be honest now....

if you hire a rental car do you treat it with exactly the same respect you treat your own car ?

fastest and most invincible car on the road is a hire car. :RollEyes:

hire out a motorhome as a business....not as an option when you arent using it.

OP
OP
Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for all of your comments and observations. Having read them all, I think Holly will be staying firmly out of the dirty little mits of the general public.
Cheers guys.:thanks2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back