Advice Talbot Express please. (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I've just put my van back on the road after a year in and out of hospital sorting out cancer, which is why I haven't been on here. On Wednesday I headed for Devon, only to turn back at Droitwich when the alternator belt snapped. I assumed that it would be a matter of getting a new belt, which was easy, ten minutes to fit it, then back on the motorway.

Until that is, I opened the bonnet and discovered that far from a simple job, three more pulleys need to be removed to give access to the alternator pulley. I can't believe that anyone would design an engine on which as simple a job as changing a belt is so complicated, but hours of searching on the web have failed to reveal an easier way. I even emailed someone selling manuals and asked specifically if the manuals he sold said how to do this, but apparently they don't.

I would be really grateful if anyone on here who know how to do this could give me advice, as I'm reluctant to slacken the other belts in case I knacker something important. As I had a major abdominal operation in June I can't lift or pull, so may need to get this done, so it would be useful to know how much this should cost, in terms of hours.

I forgot to mention the important bit. It's a 2.5 naturally aspirated engine with the four pulleys on the right of the engine looking into the engine bay.

Cheers, John

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
do you not have a family member nabor that could help you under your supervision it only 40min job max but sorry you do nead to slacken the other ones to put the new one on so frustrating if you lived nearer i would have dune in for you:Sad:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks for getting back so quickly

I can probably do the job, but I can't seem to find out how the belts come off and what they are driving. Am I right in assuming that the setcrews in the end of the shaft are long enough to reach right through and it is these that need to be removed to slacken the belts enough to slide the new belt into place?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I can probably do the job, but I can't seem to find out how the belts come off and what they are driving. Am I right in assuming that the setcrews in the end of the shaft are long enough to reach right through and it is these that need to be removed to slacken the belts enough to slide the new belt into place?

One thing they will be driving is the power steering pump....you only need to get the belts off not the pulleys as well...Its a long time since Ive done one but the pump should be the tension adjuster...It also looks as if one of the belts drives the cam....nasty...

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks for that.

What is power steering? ::bigsmile: I had a feeling one might be driving something important involved with timing or something like that, which is why I haven't touched it so far. It might have to wait until the end of next month, as I've just realised the MOT is up on the car and tax on the camper. Either way I'm going to end up putting it in to be done and I can't afford to have both vehicles in at the same time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is a mobile motorhome man in Cannock but can't remember his name but if you want I will try and find out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Bite the Bullet Chaser, take it to an Independent Garage, 2hrs max for labour, for you? No Worries! no stress!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back