LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I know we have all joined MF for different reasons. In my case it was about three years ago that Google directed me to Fun when as a newbie (previously a tugger for twenty years) I was looking to get information about changing to the right side of the tracks. - I had seen the light but was worried about walking out of the tunnel - :Eeek:

Very quickly help came my way with great big dollops of good humour. ::bigsmile: I attended a few rallies, mainly those at shows because I thought we needed more kit. (I now know we didn't and am trying desperately to get back below the van weight limit but that is not why I am posting today)

I just want to pass the message to those who are fearful of attending a rally that it is not a frightening experience. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

We have just got back from last weekend's rally at Lincoln. ( If you have not already done so, take a look at the various Lincoln threads even if only to see pictures of yours truly dancing his nuts off - I am not proud :Doh:

It was truly a delightful weekend. As well as the show and the inclusive entertainment provided by the show organisers we Funsters had a brilliant time in our own area.

Those among us with musical talent performed in our event shelter while those with decent voices joined in -as did those like me who cannot really sing at all and many consumed some alcohol. No bar in our little tent but we came prepared :Smile:. We had a 'table-top' sale where I actually managed to go home with less than I took - Result. There were a couple of flyovers by Spitfire and Hurricane as well as displays by the red arrows :whatthe:. We met up for some very tasty bacon butties and on the last night many of us met up and went en-mass to the main event marquee and had a whale of a time.

I am sure that there are some among us who feel a little intimidated by the idea or 'A RALLY'. If I am right it's a shame because the atmosphere is extremely relaxed and there is no pressure to mix or fit in and it is good to put faces to the names we see here on line. Good to see that in real life the guy with the sharp wit and master of sarcasm is an affable gent with a permanent disarming grin and one with an avatar that makes you think of some-one the size of a brick sh*th**se is in truth a demure and extremely attractive young woman.

My reason for posting about a rally on this forum is to reach those who up to now have not felt inclined to drive the rally/meet route and to assure them that if they were to give it a go they will not be regimented or hounded into 'joining in'. You can hook-up with others as much or as little as you wish.

We enjoyed the Lincoln meet tremendously.
Keep your eye on the calendar and just browse the rally front page to see what's on and where. Have some fun outside. :thumb:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
its what it is malcolm and what it should be thats why its called fun and all are welcome
where else would you get such a diverse group of people but all with 1 thing in common motorhoming and having fun great time at rallies putting faces to names and sharing advice and adventures

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Not seen any within sensible reach of me :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

I suppose it depends on where each of us is based and how far we are prepared to travel. If I was based in Devon I would think Exeter would be a good start. If able to manage a bit further then the Bath and Shepton meets may prove possible. As I am based in Yorkshire I would be unlikely to get to any of those. :ROFLMAO: Never know though if I get the right ferry back via Plymouth or Portsmouth I may get to one of them yet. ::bigsmile:

Hope you manage to get to one next year. :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Anyone can hold a meet / rally just find somewhere to go. ::bigsmile: If in doubt contact Jim first then put it in the rallies section. :thumb:
We held some behind a pub and they proved to be very popular, it was limited to 20 motorhomes and the landlord was very happy with us, I even had locals saying nice to see you back supporting our local pub, we never use it but would not want to see it closed it's the heart of the village.
We have been asked when we are doing another, but with our travels and also trying to sell our bungalow it has been put on hold this year, so it might happen again next year. :whatthe:

As Malcolm say's get along to the rallies and meets, not everyone joins in, but they always enjoy themselves and come away with new friends. :thumb:
Everyone on fun gives a little, and that what makes it what it is, a lot of work goes into it, and support is the best reward you can get. :thumb:

We gave Malcolm the best pitch at Peterborough 2012 :Eeek: the only one with his drive wheels on hard standing.:winky: But it turned out to be like a duck pond and he needed waders to get out the motorhome. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And in return he gave us the brilliant blog in Morocco last year. :thumb:

::bigsmile: Bob and Jane.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

IIRC the funsters meet up for the Motorhome/camping show at Westpoint showground near exeter, and as Roger says - he has various get togethers there. I dare say more rallies can be organised - maybe we will have to look at regional meets for next year - have a word with a few sites etc.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
IIRC the funsters meet up for the Motorhome/camping show at Westpoint showground near exeter, and as Roger says - he has various get togethers there. I dare say more rallies can be organised - maybe we will have to look at regional meets for next year - have a word with a few sites etc.

If you fancy doing a small meet in St Austell then take a look at Doubletrees Farm, St, Blazey Gate ( just down Luxulyan Rd and not far from The Four Lords!)
I know they hold rallies for other clubs from time to time.

Lovely site and very friendly owners ::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003

Hi simbadog, if you look in the rally listings, you will see that a Fun Holiday Rally is being planned for next year in Dorset. Perhaps you could attend it, I believe it is being held near to Corfe Castle.

16-06-2014 to 26-06-2014
Broken Link Removed

Brisey.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.

We live near Weymouth and we have done Newbury and Stratford and had a wonderful time.:Cool::Cool:

We were also booked for Malvern and Shepton Mallet but due angina did not get there:cry:

Our first rally/meet was Newbury and what a Fantastic weekend we had. Just a brilliant, friendly and welcoming group of people.

Roll on next rally season - CAN'T WAIT.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
the first rally we ever did only happened because our son's school had closed on the friday and monday in November so we decided to find somewhere to stay.

We then asked if anyone wanted to join us. There were just 5 motorhomes. Last year we had nearly 30.

The great things about rallys and meets is that people can join in if they want to. there is no pressure.

If we had known that a funster was staying at Waltham Abbey this weekend before we had booked something else up, we would have joined them.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you fancy doing a small meet in St Austell then take a look at Doubletrees Farm, St, Blazey Gate ( just down Luxulyan Rd and not far from The Four Lords!)
I know they hold rallies for other clubs from time to time.

Lovely site and very friendly owners ::bigsmile:

If it is in St Austell, it will be at ours!::bigsmile:

That is when the top field is sorted - main site is too small - there is power in the top field, but needs sorting out.

Deleted User
I do not attend rallies, not because I am afraid or intimidated. I do not attend rallies because I do not like mass gatherings of any kind. I do not sing and dance or join in with other peoples idea of ""fun".

Some people may think I am a miserable b*****d, they may be right.

I know what I enjoy and I know what I do not enjoy.

It would seem a pointless exercise to attend a rally and not join in with the "fun"::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We are in the darkest depths of Cornwall, yet, we managed Chester at Easter, Shrewsbury and Shepton with Fun
As well as our gad-a-bouts with the Devon and Cornwall MCS of the CC&C, Dorset, Glostershire, sth Devon

Horses for courses

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
If it is in St Austell, it will be at ours!::bigsmile:

That is when the top field is sorted - main site is too small - there is power in the top field, but needs sorting out.

Where are you??? We spend quite a lot of our summer in UK in St Austell!! :winky::winky::winky:

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I do not attend rallies, not because I am afraid or intimidated. I do not attend rallies because I do not like mass gatherings of any kind. I do not sing and dance or join in with other peoples idea of ""fun".

It would seem a pointless exercise to attend a rally and not join in with the "fun"::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I wholeheartedly agree. It was not my intention to try to get people such as yourself to attend a rally or a meet. :Sad:

I certainly don't think you are a miserable anything just because you enjoy doing other things. :Smile:

If you ever wanted to visit a motorhome show and stay overnight you would be able to book into the general area anyway just as we did when we first got our van. :thumb:

My post was aimed at those who may enjoy the experience but have not yet taken the leap of faith.::bigsmile:

My hope is that this thread and the mainly positive comments I have received serve to help some people take the step. I simply believe they have nothing to loose but a great deal to gain. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010

That was too close to Glastonbury or we would have gone :Sad:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well my shelf and the good lady had never been to a meet till we went to haggers do as we perseved motor homers a just a bunch of snobs O how wrong we were just wish that when we first started with our first van all those year ago that fun was there dident know wat we were missing thank's to haggers and co we probably would still have that perception of the motorhome class but old young daft as me wat a grate community
and long may it last:drink: any one up for a met in east yorks early to mid winter

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
well my shelf and the good lady had never been to a meet till we went to haggers do as we perseved motor homers a just a bunch of snobs O how wrong we were just wish that when we first started with our first van all those year ago that fun was there dident know wat we were missing thank's to haggers and co we probably would still have that perception of the motorhome class but old young daft as me wat a grate community
and long may it last:drink: any one up for a met in east yorks early to mid winter

Sounds great but we are hoping to be a bit further south and a bit warmer by winter. Hope it works out for you in Yorkshire.

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
That was too close to Glastonbury or we would have gone :Sad:

I have been wanting to go to Glastonbury for years but by the time I find out it is on it is too late to get tickets. What are the arrangements for Vans? Do you get tickets for the festival first and then sort out somewhere to stay? Do they do combined tickets? Do many FUN folk go?

When ever I have seen anything on TV it has shown tent camping but I have not noticed either caravans or campers/motorhomes.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I have been wanting to go to Glastonbury for years but by the time I find out it is on it is too late to get tickets. What are the arrangements for Vans? Do you get tickets for the festival first and then sort out somewhere to stay? Do they do combined tickets? Do many FUN folk go?

When ever I have seen anything on TV it has shown tent camping but I have not noticed either caravans or campers/motorhomes.

Masses of motorhomes :Smile: Plus they get to arrive a day early before the masses!
You apply for normal tickets, pay your deposits & when the balance is due in I think March, you have the option to buy parking ticket for the van.
You need to register first (free) & then apply for tickets, think they are out on October 6th?
http://http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/

Great event :thumb:

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Masses of motorhomes :Smile: Plus they get to arrive a day early before the masses!
You apply for normal tickets, pay your deposits & when the balance is due in I think March, you have the option to buy parking ticket for the van.
You need to register first (free) & then apply for tickets, think they are out on October 6th?
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/

Great event :thumb:[/QUOTE

Thanks for this. I am definitely up for it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

I absolutely agree with you because I don't enjoy these things either. However I still go to rallies, as at the shows you save a couple of quid and you are with nice people. We don't go to the 'social' bits though.
Though I am a miserable b*****d :Smile:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/

Great event :thumb:[/QUOTE

Thanks for this. I am definitely up for it.

Let me know if you manage to get tickets, we will be trying on the 6th :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I absolutely agree with you because I don't enjoy these things either. However I still go to rallies, as at the shows you save a couple of quid and you are with nice people. We don't go to the 'social' bits though.
Though I am a miserable b*****d :Smile:

When you invite people round your motorhome for drinks and nibbles, that's being sociable :winky: and Natalie and Peter along with us had a lovely evening.:thumb:

So don't be such a misery, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Hope you / Shirley and the dog are well. ::bigsmile: Bob and Jane.

OP
OP
Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011