Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
Autotrail Apache 700SE mystery button on the dash that when pressed starts ringing someone up????????????????????
I may well regret asking a 'most obvious' question but I've not a clue.

Anyone know what the hell it is? Cant find it in any of the books that came with the MH.

Help!!!!!

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think your motorhome has a tracking device fitted:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I think your motorhome has a tracking device fitted:Smile:

Cheers Jim,:thumb:
I took a punt and looked at the Tm logo on the button and thought it might be Traffic Master so did a little searching after I put the thread up. It may well be a tracker, but I'm still a little mystified as to why it starts phoning up. There must be some sort of phone in there somewhere. Just wondering if it's linked into some sort of navigation system on board.

All very mysterious.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I remember having something like it. I'm sure it was for getting routes and tracking, it needed a sub so I never bothered.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Can't you wait until someone answers and ask who they are? ::bigsmile:

:roflmto: Thanks Janine,
I could do, and nearly have done, then started panicking about who's paying for this, someone did answer but I pressed it again to cut it off - didn't know where I speak into either, the voice came over the sound system and just didn't want to look daft speaking into the drivers side door speaker.......:ROFLMAO:

It's really bugging me now.

Trikeman. :winky:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I know!!!!

It's the activation button for a Trafficmaster route guidance service.

Before sat-nav's became available it was a service that some manufacturers offered with new vehicles or you could purchase it yourself as a stand-alone product. You had to pay for a subscription or it was provided by the manufacturer.

When you pressed the button it connected to a switchboard/service centre and you told them where you wanted to go and they gave you directions... not sure exactly how it all worked but the whole thing was pushed aside by the arrival of ever cheaper personal sat-nav devices.

Unless you want to re-connect to the service (which I think is still available in some form) the button you have is now redundant.

Simon

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'm pretty sure this, or a similar Live Operator service is still active and provided on some high end cars. I remember seeing Top Gear using a car with this on a few weeks ago. It will be a subscription service though.
Allan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Agree with the traffic directions answers above, a previous car of my brothers had this a few years ago. It wasn't a patch on a TomTom and you had to pay a sub.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thing is....someone answered so the system is still active and paid for, they dont know who you are or where to send a bill so use it and see what it gives you.

if the previous owner gets billed then tough, they should have cancelled the subscription.

Allegro83

Free Member
Jul 20, 2010
Balfron, Stirling
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer L
Exp
15 years
Our new Relay based Fifer comes with Trafficmaster and a 3 year prepaid contract. Not sure about the button as still awaiting delivery of our Camper.
Davey from East Neuk tells of a customer going off in his new van and a few weeks later whilst parked up in remote spot a voice came over the system to remind him to register!!!

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies - I will do some investigation now I know what it is.
Many Thanks.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i have a simliar button fitted to my dash it,s a panic button to call up to 5 no,s, my son,s etc
:thumb:
mine,s fitted to a chausson

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Oh' the suspense was killing me - so I pressed the button, ring-ring, "good Morning, Traffic Master service",,,,,, eh, erm, hello said I.

Anyway, won't go through the whole he said, I said bit but the upshot of the call is the previous owner had indeed subscribed to the service similar to what's been described here. It is a tracker system (someone knows where the MH is at all times - handy if nicked) if I'm lost or want to know where to go - press button, tell guy where I want to go and he will guide me there (he can see my 'dot' where it is on his screen). There is an emergency 'panic' mode, press button twice in rapid succession and the Police will turn up (better be careful with that bit):roflmto: and the whole bundle has two and a half years left, paid for.............. Transferable too.

I doubt I will ever use it as the MH is satnav'd to the teeth, but at least the mystery is over. He did mention as it was used a lot by haulage firms I could 'offer my services' for return loads/parcels too - pays for the fuel,,,,, Not going near that though, hire and reward bits and all that goes with it.

As always, thanks for the help though - even the smoke signals :roflmto:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Well thank you for making my evening! I laughed so much at the thought of you talking to the driver's side speaker I nearly spilt my wine:Eeek: my husband thought I'd lost the plot and said to tell you that you should wait for them to reply and then say 'Beam me up Scotty!'

Then I found out that you had solved the mystery so congratulations are in order:thumb:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Well thank you for making my evening! I laughed so much at the thought of you talking to the driver's side speaker I nearly spilt my wine:Eeek: my husband thought I'd lost the plot and said to tell you that you should wait for them to reply and then say 'Beam me up Scotty!'

Then I found out that you had solved the mystery so congratulations are in order:thumb:

:roflmto: Well, if it makes someone's day it was worth it Volusia. Had me confused for a while and felt a little 'daft' asking initially. I had a scream with the guy on the other end though - still not a clue where I should talk to though,,,,,, it was all around.:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back