Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been away since 12 Aug which is roughly 8 weeks.
My son has informed me that the car bty is flat and he cannot move my "new" car so that I can park the M/H on the drive etc.:Eeek:
This is a very short period for a bty to lose that amount of power or is it.

Advice pse

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Not on a modern car - there are so many electrics running that a modern car stood up averages around 14 days. Some do less, some do more.

Give it a charge, and it will be fine - test the battery later, just to ensure no long standing damage has been done - which it may have being stood for over a month flat.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Depends on the vehicle. Some have all sorts of stuff, for example my Discovery will check the suspension is level every 2 hours and will re level is necessary. I don't know why as I can't see the point of this, and you can prevent it by lowering to access height when parked. Then there are alarms, trackers, the receiver for the remote,radio memory etc all of which use a little power but it adds up over weeks.

I have a little 10w solar panel (about a foot square) which i connect up when we're away as an insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the parasitic drain (immobiliser/alarm, radio memory, keyless entry receiver etc) = 100ma (1/10th amp) that amounts to 33.6 amps over a 14 day period.
that nearly half the capacity of an average car battery, too low for a start.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Batteries can loose their charge at any time.

I have been in situations where the car has started in the morning, been driven for a while and when attempt to restart later in the day, nothing, Battery has discharged.

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Batteries can loose their charge at any time.

I have been in situations where the car has started in the morning, been driven for a while and when attempt to restart later in the day, nothing, Battery has discharged.
You have a fault there. That should not happen.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You have a fault there. That should not happen.

A cell on a battery can fail at any time. The plates can become buckled.

Put a discharge meter on a faulty battery just after it has been charged and it can discharge almost straight away, even up to half an hour after charging.

When I was in the army and used hundreds of wet batteries for our radios they were always packing up without any signs.

I had a engine battery in the motorhome which was discharged when I went to visit it, (it was in storage). I got the generator out and connected it to the 230v input and charged the battery enough so I could start the engine.
Took the vehicle for a good run and the battery showed it was fully charged,

Disconnected the battery and left it overnight and when I went back in the morning fully discharged. Took it to Kwik Fit, they did a quick charge and discharge test and showed me the battery was not holding it's charge.

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
A cell on a battery can fail at any time. The plates can become buckled.

Put a discharge meter on a faulty battery just after it has been charged and it can discharge almost straight away, even up to half an hour after charging.

[HI]When I was in the army and used hundreds of wet batteries for our radios they were always packing up without any signs[/HI].

Sounds as though they were just MOD crap, probably been in a warehouse for years........:RollEyes:

::bigsmile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Sounds as though they were just MOD crap, probably been in a warehouse for years........:RollEyes:

In those days I think it was the "War Dept",:ROFLMAO: MoD is a modern name.:thumb:

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

Oooops aplogies Sir,:Blush:

I'm just a (relative) youngster , it has been the MOD since before I learned to walk and talk.......:RollEyes:. .:winky:

Many, Many years ago I was with my, then, girlfriend at Stonehenge and the new signs had just been installed, saying "No parking for MoD vehicles.

She asked me why MOD's were banned but Rocker's were not?!!!

I had to explain that the MoD was the new name for the War Dept.

I hasten to say I did not go on to marry her.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We used to set the alarm on the car when we went away in the MH, and after a 3 x week trip, we'd come back to a sluggish to start car.

Now, we just lock it using the key, rather than the fob, and have had no problems since, especially with false alarms due to insects, or due to the expansion of body work caused by heat, setting off sensors.

Cheers,

Jock.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My agricultural technology Golf diesel stood for 5 months once and started as though it had been run half an hour before :thumb:. Am of the opinion that technology has moved backwards instead of forwards :Doh:. Its a bit pointless having a tracker and alarm on a car that wont start because of a flat battery, how are they going to steel it :RollEyes:.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When I was in the army and used hundreds of wet batteries for our radios they were always packing up without any signs.

Ah, sounds like the old Batteries, Radio, Flat No1. I've had the misfortune to use a few of those myself

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back