LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Going to have a week or so in North Wales, and meander down the coast and end up at the bottom bit...

Going up M5 and across...

Any recommendations things to see, places to stop etc...:thumb:

And things and places to steer clear of... ::bigsmile:

Not been that way since the Falklands, and then didn`t get to see much..

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Going to have a week or so in North Wales, and meander down the coast and end up at the bottom bit...

Going up M5 and across...

Any recommendations things to see, places to stop etc...:thumb:

And things and places to steer clear of... ::bigsmile:

Not been that way since the Falklands, and then didn`t get to see much..
Yes the road out

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Mo, if you want to stop off at Conway there is a large car park just past the castle that you can park with the motorhome.

If you are near Llandudno if the weather is good a nice walk along the sea front quite flat and along the peer.

Anglesey & Snowdonia well worth a look at, if you have some sort of plan keep asking

You are quite near Chester a good CL near there and that is worth a call in.

Would miss out Rhyl, get on the coast somewhere near Rhos on Sea .

Really some beautiful scenery the Lleyn Peninsula , etc lots to choose from.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Betws y coed, a nice cclub as site just down the road from swallow falls , all of Snowdonia is fabulous, the scenery when heading south down the A470 is beautiful . Best take toad so you can site up and tour different areas . Also take A 4212 to Bala, endless beauty .
Have a great time :thumb:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am biased Mo but do visit Pembrokeshire especially South Pembrokeshire.

And we do have castles. There is a wonnderful one in Pembroke where King Henry VII was born and which Oliver Cromwell laid seige to for weeks on end.

And beaches and coastline to die for:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The North of Wales get's lots the glory and rightly so, but you really can't go wrong anywhere along the coast from heading West from Aberaeron around to the Gower it has both breathtaking/stunning countryside with plenty to see and do. Hardly any dour Scots in the area either, that's a big plus::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The North of Wales get's lots the glory and rightly so, but you really can't go wrong anywhere along the coast from heading West from Aberaeron around to the Gower it has both breathtaking/stunning countryside with plenty to see and do. Hardly any dour Scots in the area either, that's a big plus::bigsmile:

OCH AYE THE NOO, ITS A BRAW BRICHT MOOLICHT NICHT YEE SASSENACH :Angry::Angry::RollEyes:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
That's how, we are all on the road out,the trouble with Wales is that it's full of English who in my experience are resented by my good cousins

Bill

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Interesting..What experience was that?
Two years ago we toured Wales started South and worked our way North I found the experience surprising as this was my first time in Wales, for a start there is no costal route you constantly have to go out of your way to reach the beaches. We are probably spoiled here in Scotland as on the east and west coast you are constantly on the coast,but the real eye opener was a site next to Canarven if I have miss spelled this then I apologise we could walk into the town from the site and we were constantly aware of the anti English resentment, when we went into the shops we as Jocks were made welcome but as soon as they herd a English accent things turned a bit nasty i even witnessed some English not getting served in shops,I couldn't believe it,but my main grape was that we did all that mileage to see the coast and scenery we shouldn't have bothered as it's 100% better just 10 miles from my door

Bill

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Two years ago we toured Wales started South and worked our way North I found the experience surprising as this was my first time in Wales, for a start there is no costal route you constantly have to go out of your way to reach the beaches. We are probably spoiled here in Scotland as on the east and west coast you are constantly on the coast,but the real eye opener was a site next to Canarven if I have miss spelled this then I apologise [HI]we could walk into the town from the site and we were constantly aware of the anti English resentment, when we went into the shops we as Jocks were made welcome but as soon as they herd a English accent things turned a bit nasty i even witnessed some English not getting served in shops[/HI],I couldn't believe it,but my main grape was that we did all that mileage to see the coast and scenery we shouldn't have bothered as it's 100% better just 10 miles from my door

Bill

"Wow"............. seems a bit strong.... (Highlighted)...:Eeek:

The times I spent in Wales for the Royal Navy, must admit I never had any problems... :thumb:

And judging by all the friendly Welsh members we have in the club, I find that hard to swallow... :whatthe:

Still I`ll reserve judgement till we have been and come back home...

Watch this space... ::bigsmile:

At the end of the day.... I only asked for suggestions on where to go and places to see... and things to do... :RollEyes:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Try shell Island near Harlec, Carole recommended it earlier this year so we had a few days there recently and loved it. £10.50 pn with all services except eleltric hookup.

It's a large site ( Shell Island ) so plenty of choice where to park up and loads with sea views, it's right on the coast. Views of Snodonia are also magnificent.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Two years ago we toured Wales started South and worked our way North I found the experience surprising as this was my first time in Wales, for a start there is no costal route you constantly have to go out of your way to reach the beaches. We are probably spoiled here in Scotland as on the east and west coast you are constantly on the coast,but the real eye opener was a site next to Canarven if I have miss spelled this then I apologise we could walk into the town from the site and we were constantly aware of the anti English resentment, when we went into the shops we as Jocks were made welcome but as soon as they herd a English accent things turned a bit nasty i even witnessed some English not getting served in shops,I couldn't believe it,but my main grape was that we did all that mileage to see the coast and scenery we shouldn't have bothered as it's 100% better just 10 miles from my door

Bill

Beaches in Wales are hard to find, but that makes them all the more special.:thumb:::bigsmile: A loud Englishman :Blush: in ten years I've never been not served in a shop. As for scenery, I don't have to go ten miles, ten paces, ten anything, just open the front door::bigsmile:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Beaches in Wales are hard to find, but that makes them all the more special.:thumb:::bigsmile: A loud Englishman :Blush: in ten years I've never been not served in a shop. As for scenery, I don't have to go ten miles, ten paces, ten anything, just open the front door::bigsmile:
You are very fortunate that you live in the countryside but we less unfortunately live in towns

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Forest campsite near Beddgelert,the Welsh highland railway passes through it and has a station there. Its narrow gauge and links up with the Ffestiniog railway at Port Madoc.
At Llanuchlyn,near Balla follow the signs to the Lake railway,very nice site there. If you want a meal at the Eagles,about 10 mins walk from site,book,it is very popular for meals,and beer.Moving to Dollellau and the Mawdach estuary some sites with river views.
Enjoy it.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
We are in Wales at the moment, on the Gower peninsula, just over a mile from from Rhossili village. The beach is fantastic, as is the surrounding coastline and countryside.

I am from England,and find the Welsh, friendly, helpful, nice people!:Smile:

Have had really lovely weather, not so good today though.

Sure you will enjoyyour stay in ::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
don't forget that you can stay over night on council run carparks in Powys as well - some are free overnight too (southern end mainly)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
on the way down the coast from Aberystwyth look out for a few places well worth a stop:-

Cardigan, porth Gain, Mwnt, stour head, whitesands bay, St Davids, Solva, Stackpole Quay, Barafundle bay, Bosherton lilly ponds, Pembroke castle, Freshwater West, Fresh water East...... Rhossili, and the Gower........ i could go on and on and on.......

you will find no problems being any nationality unless you are bad mannered or condescending; apart from a bit of harmless Rugby banter.

enjoy the trip.:thumb:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
on the way down the coast from Aberystwyth look out for a few places well worth a stop:-

Cardigan, porth Gain, Mwnt, stour head, whitesands bay, St Davids, Solva, Stackpole Quay, Barafundle bay, Bosherton lilly ponds, Pembroke castle, Freshwater West, Fresh water East...... Rhossili, and the Gower........ i could go on and on and on.......

you will find no problems being any nationality unless you are bad mannered or condescending; apart from a bit of harmless Rugby banter.

Another one takes the hook this is getting easy Bill

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, we are heading for Jim's and will be touring for a couple of weeks so we are keeping a close eye on this thread, any advice on sites, especially within walking distance of the beach, will be great.

Ginny and Mike

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011

I'm an Englishman in Wales, still get the odd bit of banter about being a foreigner, but Phil is spot on. And in Pembrokeshire I'll add Broad Haven, Little Haven, Marloes - the list is almost endless. But some of our roads are a little narrow. That's why it's so unspoilt around the coastal area and I wouldn't have it any other way. But there's more to Wales than beaches. For a fantastic view drive south down the A478 from Cardigan.

I can recommend 'The Toy Museum' near Cardigan - Newcasle Emlyn if you want to chill out, it's one of the best. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, we are heading for Jim's and will be touring for a couple of weeks so we are keeping a close eye on this thread, any advice on sites, especially within walking distance of the beach, will be great.

Ginny and Mike

if you dont mind a stroll through the woods, along some large lilly ponds before you get to a fantastic beach at broad haven, then walk across the coastal path to Barafundle bay ( only accessible by foot ) on to Stackpole quay and the tea room on the quaint quay side, before completing a circle back to the lily ponds an d woods to a lovely small CL on the outskirts of Pembroke town. ( its a couple hours out )

then try the CL at St Petrox ( North lodge) EHU, toilet, waste disposal but no showers.

short drive to breathtaking Freshwater West and more.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Ginny and Mike

We are heading out from home on the 9th or 10th, and heading straight up the M5 towards North Wales and working our way down to Jim`s for the 24th... :thumb:

Been googling some suggestions and sites, looks to be a good trip...

Just got to look out for the sites that are open,,,,, A lot seem to close down end of Sept.. :Sad:

Might see you on the road... :Cool:::bigsmile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Try shell Island near Harlec, Carole recommended it earlier this year so we had a few days there recently and loved it. £10.50 pn with all services except eleltric hookup.

It's a large site ( Shell Island ) so plenty of choice where to park up and loads with sea views, it's right on the coast. Views of Snodonia are also magnificent.

[Please don't tell folk about Shell Island otherwise everyone will go there and there won't be enough room for Snowbird, Carol & other funsters including me!

It's really awful there, no facilities, miles from anywhere, loads of boring sea and mountains to look at, and all that sand...

We're going w/b 21Oct..., I expect it will be a real drag....

Catherine

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are heading out from home on the 9th or 10th, and heading straight up the M5 towards North Wales and working our way down to Jim`s for the 24th..

Don't forget your raincoats, sou'wester, thermal blankets, passports and most of all green wellies.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We are heading out from home on the 9th or 10th, and heading straight up the M5 towards North Wales and working our way down to Jim`s for the 24th... :thumb:

Been googling some suggestions and sites, looks to be a good trip...

Just got to look out for the sites that are open,,,,, A lot seem to close down end of Sept.. :Sad:

Might see you on the road... :Cool:::bigsmile:

You might see us on the road, at Shell Island or even at Jim's... :thumb:

Catherine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back