Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I had a discussion a while back with a Frenchman who worked in a law department. He said that in France, trespass (ie. overstaying one's welcome on a car park etc.) was a criminal offence not like the UK which the same action was a civil offence that is why we have barriers etc. to stop high vehicles. To remove someone when they were on your land was difficult here but in France the police can just remove you.
Perhaps our law should be changed to suit or would that open a hornet's nest?
Has anyone else ever heard this or was it a red herring?

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
If it is true I'm with the French on this..our way is terrible oh it'll take a week to shift em ...their way is better go in shift em forcibly if needs be you don't belong there or own it so move it would stop all these so called New Age Travellers messing everywhere up and turning places into Middens..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In this context, yes, trespass is a civil wrong in the UK.

Local authorities have extra powers under the Traffic Management Act 2004 but they will apply only where an order has been made. Thus, a council may be able to tow away a vehicle left in a car park in contravention of a TRO but can't tow away a vehicle from land not covered by a TRO.

That is one reason why councils, as well as private landlords, have so may problems with illegal camp sites. In addition there is the fact that, under the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000, Gypsies and Irish Travellers are recognised as ethnic minorities against whom discrimination is unlawful. That, in turn, brings provisions of the Human Rights Act 1998 into play where a public authority wishes to take action.

So, yes again, the law could be changed here but, given the rest of the problems caused by the way the HRA enacted the ECHR rights in the country, it would be bound to be part of more far reaching legislation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Of course towns in France have to provide a site for gens de voyage and they do but often somewhere just out of town . Any parking elsewhere are moved tout suite !!

There are two types of travelers here. The scruffy ones and the working ones always spotless and they have usually bought ground to stay on when not away working. Their sites are beautifully kept with chalet and all gravelled.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lots of parking for the travellers in france . and you se them on the market places but always move to allow the markets to happen . shame we dont have proper out of town parking for travellers . i have stopped on many traveller sites in france always made welcome . in fact i think they loved it .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]lots of parking for the travellers in france[/HI] . and you se them on the market places but always move to allow the markets to happen . [HI]shame we dont have proper out of town parking for travellers [/HI]. i have stopped on many traveller sites in france always made welcome . in fact i think they loved it .

Serious question because I don't know the answer. Could that situation have something to do with the fact that France has a lot more rural space than the UK or are there other factors in play?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hard to answer .as i,m sure you know there was a kind of ruling that councils a few years ago would make places for travellers . they started to do it then pulled it to a halt . round here lots of land was bought by the councils to allow it . but its now barren nothing land . lots of things seem to be lost in council thoughts . we could say where is the miney from houses sold it was supposed to be going to build new ones yet they werent built .
really the authority of the uk as alot to answer for . we change govt . but dont change authority . its a system failure .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hard to answer .as i,m sure you know there was a kind of ruling that councils a few years ago would make places for travellers . they started to do it then pulled it to a halt . round here lots of land was bought by the councils to allow it . but its now barren nothing land .
There are various pieces of legislation surrounding provision of sites for travellers but there are also several difficulties in actual (as opposed to theoretical) provision. Land isn't always available where travellers want to stay; travellers' routes don't take account of council boundaries (no reason why they should) so a family may move from one council area to another; arguments within the traveller community (a local residential site was totally trashed (and had to be rebuilt from tax payer funds) a few years ago because of such a dispute.

I remember a council car park being occupied by travellers at Christmas some years ago. Accommodation had been arranged at a local traveller site but the group concerned refused to go there because of some dispute with the person who ran the site because he was from a different faction.

lots of things seem to be lost in council thoughts . we could say where is the miney from houses sold it was supposed to be going to build new ones yet they werent built .
really the authority of the uk as alot to answer for . we change govt . but dont change authority . its a system failure .
If "houses sold" refers to council houses sold under Right To Buy legislation it is not the case that the money raised was to fund new houses. Exactly the opposite in fact. Local authorities were specifically banned from funding new build or maintenance and had to hand over the proceeds to central government.

I recall when Labour came to power in 1997, housing departments were looking forward to reversal of that policy. Instead an edict came down from Prescott that the only way councils could get money for essential maintenance was to transfer stock to new or existing housing associations.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can agree whole heartedly with what you say . there is a total authority failure going on now and in the past . nobody takes responsibility for anything . but god help the private employer that makes a mistake . or a private individual. we make mistakes we get punished . authority makes mistakes well it was only a mistake . no reponsibility.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i can agree whole heartedly with what you say . there is a total authority failure going on now and in the past . nobody takes responsibility for anything . but god help the private employer that makes a mistake . or a private individual. we make mistakes we get punished . authority makes mistakes well it was only a mistake . no reponsibility.

Agreed - if by "authority" you mean politicians. Local authority staff have to jump through far more legal hoops than the private sector - and FoIA means they have to admit it where the private sector can often cover it up with a "business confidentiality" cop out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back