Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
As a rather newcomer to this forum, I am quite surprised at the at the odd times of the " risky " type of the content of some of the replies, sometimes such words are in full, and some times they have stars in place of letters, perhaps to try to tone the word down a bit even if we all know what the word is, the reason that I writing this thread is that I was quite interestingly following the thread regarding "how fast does your waste water come out", this was of interest to me because I have had the very same problem to which I replied, but I was Quite taken back by a reply by a funster on page 5 which in my opinion was just a crude reply that really belonged in the gutter, and not on a family orientated forum for Motor homers, is it just me? or is this the type of content, even if it was made light heartedly, that we must accept from time to time, and thankfully,rarely, I am far from being a prude, and can have a laugh and a joke with any body, but not to put it in writing on a family forum such as this. yokel john.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
As a rather newcomer to this forum, I am quite surprised at the at the odd times of the " risky " type of the content of some of the replies, sometimes such words are in full, and some times they have stars in place of letters, perhaps to try to tone the word down a bit even if we all know what the word is, the reason that I writing this thread is that I was quite interestingly following the thread regarding "how fast does your waste water come out", this was of interest to me because I have had the very same problem to which I replied, but I was Quite taken back by a reply by a funster on page 5 which in my opinion was just a crude reply that really belonged in the gutter, and not on a family orientated forum for Motor homers, is it just me? or is this the type of content, even if it was made light heartedly, that we must accept from time to time, and thankfully,rarely, I am far from being a prude, and can have a laugh and a joke with any body, but not to put it in writing on a family forum such as this. yokel john.

I agree with you on this particular response to the thread and some time wonder if we might have a "don't like" button.
However policing a site for acceptable and non acceptable comments and replies is difficult because everyone's boundaries of what is acceptable and non acceptable differ. The world in which we live has become more and more base and crude, you only have to walk down the street and hear this type of language. There is little that can be done in such cases in public but rather than expect Jim, who does a great job of "policing" the site to decide what is acceptable or not the best way is to do as you have done and if something offends to say so, you will seldom be on your own

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is a very good example of another forum that has in the past been over regulated, over PC'd and any hint of fun or humour squeezed to death or hidden in obscure sections.

Overall I think that Jim runs a tight ship with very few rules, which are in essence play nice and no personal attacks or racism.

It has been likened in the past to being in a pub having a chat, with the difference that everyone in the pub will have an interest in motorhomes. As with any pub some people will be pathetically boring, some loud mouthed, some swear and some will be annoying

A bit like Motorhome Fun :winky:

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a rule.. If it is something I am likely to hear on the beeb before the water shed then it is acceptable.. As a licensed radio op that rule has stood me in good steed for the past 30+ years ( without a single warning on my licence )

Having now read all the posts I can only see one that might be slightly iffy, but even that one uses no words I have not heard on either a radio programme or on television

Whilst I agree there are occasions when I cringe at a post I would say it is rare indeed to find something offensive.

We all have different ideas of what is and is not acceptable.. but in todays society where you cannot take 10 steps in any town centre without hearing all manner of 'wee sweary's', I would suggest folk, in general, have been desensitized to far worse than we see on this forum :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well, that made me read page 5 of that thread again.::bigsmile:

I didnt think it was that bad, but I do take your point.

I think Eddie sums it up perfectly above.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but I was Quite taken back by a reply by a funster on page 5

So was I.

I had something similar in mind for page 1 but I thought I'd wait and see. That it took until page 5 can only be because we were recovering from the Lincoln meet where you would have been seriously upset at the naughty words that came out there.

This is the 21st century so better get used to it, there is no sign of any improvements. For goodness sake don't ever go to the cinema these days. Better not stand outside any school gates where you will hear far worse words than "pissing" which is a perfectly correct word used across Europe and "asshole" which is promoted by George W Bush and so is totally unacceptable.

Actually I think mine was better "Depends whether I've been eating curry or beefburgers".

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Anyone who has met me will know my language is dreadful but when speaking you can judge who is listening and adjust accordingly.

When something is written on here you have no control over who reads it.

Therefore I try to avoid use of words/language I wouldn't want kids hear me use.

I have noticed that certain members don't seem to care what written language they use and don't care what poor opinions others might form of them for using it.

It is their choice I suppose.

Good manners cost nothing...

If you find it really offensive hit the "report" button. I understand that if a certain number of people do this the post gets wiped by the clever software or at least Jim's attention is drawn to it.

JJ :Cool:

PS. Like Brian (Hilldweller) I was considering placing a reply based on the same comedic principle but would have chosen more gentle words...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
crude, or is it me.

So was I.

I had something similar in mind for page 1 but I thought I'd wait and see. That it took until page 5 can only be because we were recovering from the Lincoln meet where you would have been seriously upset at the naughty words that came out there.

This is the 21st century so better get used to it, there is no sign of any improvements. For goodness sake don't ever go to the cinema these days. Better not stand outside any school gates where you will hear far worse words than "pissing" which is a perfectly correct word used across Europe and "asshole" which is promoted by George W Bush and so is totally unacceptable.

Actually I think mine was better "Depends whether I've been eating curry or beefburgers".

sorry hilldweller, it might be acceptable to you, but it isn,t to me, or my family, I dont care who quoted it or where it is used across europe. if we are sat or pitched up next to others who using that type language we pack up and move, twentyfirst century or not,
yokel john.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do any children actually frequent this site?

I wouldnt let my daughter near it with pics of Old Mo posing in his lingerie::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
having just re read the thread, I only have two pages but the comment stands out quite proud.

A couple of **** might of been useful :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I can understand your sentiments, everyone finds different things offensive. I do think Eddie's post perfectly reflects the situation. On a forum of this size, you have different types of people from different back grounds - you get to know who is who, and what to expect from their posts - some you take little notice of.

Posts can be read or disregarded, you are in control of that bit - if you are in the mood for a giggle, then you can partake in the banter - if not, disregard and fish out the posts that answer the question, or PM the posters that seem to be giving the most direct answer.

Like JJ, my language I do try to monitor. As he quite rightly says, in person you can judge - in posts you try to monitor yourself a little.

The moderation is done very well in my opinion. Jim only steps in when something is out of hand, or deemed too offensive - and when he does, he does so without any reservations. He won't take any stick!

It is your choice what you decide to do - you can skip the posts you feel are inappropriate or report them if you feel very offended by that. If harsh swear words are mentioned, they should not be on the forum boards. Modern society is as someone already said, desensitised to swearing, so minor words do not seem to have the impact they used to do - nonetheless, if you find them offensive, just skip, report or even quote the post and state that you find it offensive. You will normally get an apology!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sorry hilldweller, it might be acceptable to you, but it isn,t to me, or my family, I dont care who quoted it or where it is used across europe. if we are sat or pitched up next to others who using that type language we pack up and move, twentyfirst century or not,
yokel john.

Why sorry ?

You've got standards society in general is abandoning. Or is it just the language changing ? I think that is it. What was crude is now everyday and acceptable.

The word "flip" is a classic. I think I recall the first use on UK TV, there was outcry and gnashing of teeth. Now see any programs from the USA and it's an everyday general purpose adjective. Worse our children use it just the same in school.

I don't like it. I reserve that for when I hit my thumb with a hammer.

Know what I mean, like it's not Victoria on the throne, like now, innit, like you are so out of touch like you're a time traveller.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think that reading a post with such a heading is asking for trouble. The innuendos you could guarantee. Being of a sensitive disposition I've purposely avoided it and will continue to do so.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Why sorry ?

You've got standards society in general is abandoning. Or is it just the language changing ? I think that is it. What was crude is now everyday and acceptable.

The word "flip" is a classic. I think I recall the first use on UK TV, there was outcry and gnashing of teeth. Now see any programs from the USA and it's an everyday general purpose adjective. Worse our children use it just the same in school.

[HI]Know what I mean, like it's not Victoria on the throne, like now, innit, like you are so out of touch like you're a time traveller.[/[/HI]QUOTE]

:ROFLMAO:

Classic

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
flip is on my spell checker! I tried to write in incorrectly the other day and my spell checker corrected it to the expletive :Eeek:

Like many I didn't bother to read the thread or anything else about slow running water (looked for snoring smilie :winky:) but went straight to page five after reading the OP thread:roflmto:

Not sure where it states that everything on the Forum should be suitable for children to read, or actually why should it?

I remember on points of view a couple complaining about an adult theme of a play on Radio 4 and the Radio 4 Editor basically replied that the content of Radio 4 during childrens hour was for children, the rest of the time it was for adults, and that if the couple didn't want their children listening to the play they should of turned it off!

A blow for good old fashioned common sense! Frankly anything of interest to children on Motorhome Fun would be dull and boring to 99% of the rest of us.

I accept that some of the terminology or language used may not to be to everyone's taste, but I think stating that "my children read it" is not really a valid argument.

Eddie

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It was, I believe, Kenneth Tynan ( SP ? ) who first used the F word.. About the mid 60's on the BBC late night show 'BBC-3'

It seems to be completely accepted now but as broad minded and outspoken as I am, I would not use it on an open forum unless severely provoked or it was in context and correct to use..

On the other hand, I run a bikers forum where it is considered common parlance

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Why sorry ?

Know what I mean, like it's not Victoria on the throne, like now, innit,[HI] like you are so out of touch like you're a time traveller.[/HI]

Hey, I resent that remark :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There is a time and place for everything, I can F and blind with the best of them and hold my own but not in front of women and children and on Fun.

Certain ways of expressing oneself with the use of abreviations and **** is perfectly acceptable and in some cases necessary to make the point or joke.

But the F word is now so commonplace in use that it has lost its relevance and to hear it repeatedly in films and TV shows makes me just want to turn them off and watch something else and I am definately not a prude.

Just my two pennies worth

Peter

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to be honest I thought at first you were joking:ROFLMAO:

then i realised youre serious and actually found such a puerile post offensive. all i can say is that you must be living in some parallel existance. i would consider such posts as typical of a normal man's answer. you will hear much worse on tv, in schools, pubs, workplaces. however nobody usually takes offence.

so in answer to your question, yes, its just you that considers normal banter as offensive. life is far too short to be hung up over what others say or write on forums. the same as you say you do on a campsite and hear swearing, move on from the "offensive" post and ignore it.

joining a forum well known for its humour, some of which is quite base, then expecting others to change its content to suit you seems selfish and bizarre to me.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
There is a time and place for everything, I can F and blind with the best of them and hold my own but not in front of women and children and on Fun.

Certain ways of expressing oneself with the use of abreviations and **** is perfectly acceptable and in some cases necessary to make the point or joke.

Peter

I kind agree with this.

I probably swear far to often in life but personally I wouldn't on a forum.

Having said that, I'm not offended by it and it doesn't bother me when others do it.

It takes all sorts and all that :Smile:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I thought the comment was crude, but no different than is heard every day now around younger people. I understand that it was meant as a joke, but it maybe could have been better put.
Unfortunately we can't legislate what others may write that offends us, but we can choose to ignore it or report it. Personally, I will choose to ignore it.
Well, I would have done had the subject not been brought to my attention on the forum. :winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think it is very "Fun Like" to criticise another member's views just because your's are different.

One man's perfectly acceptable use of language = another man's foul and offensive utterance.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think we are very lucky finding a forum like this where there is very little censorship and where almost all of the time, nobody is offended by others posts. While I can sort of see Yokeljohns point here, I personally dont find the referred to posting offensive and it would seem few others do. But, I respect his views and if he is offended by the post, then he has a perfect right to say so and has done so by starting this thread.

In any situation, where lots of people are gathered together from all over the UK and beyond, people are going to be offended or disagree with some things others say and do, and as long as it doesnt go too far ( racism, sexism, personal insults or trolling etc) you have to expect that not everything will be of a "family" nature.

There are many forums where posters language and behaviour offends or frustrates me, and I dont visit these sites anymore. Others where censorship is so rigid, all the fun has gone out of them.

I think MHFun is just about right. It appears to be largely self policed with Jim stepping in where absolutely necessary, sometimes in the very early hours of the morning..

I think you just have to accept that there will be times ( albeit very few) where there will be posts or threads that seem crude or make you feel a little uncomfortable and either ignore them or accept them in the spirit they were made. They dont happen very often.

Allan

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I don't think it is very "Fun Like" to criticise another member's views just because your's are different.

One man's perfectly acceptable use of language = another man's foul and offensive utterance.

One man's meat is another man's Poisson (or Fish) as the French Say:Doh:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Because I don't generally hear what used to be called bad or crude language I have to admit I don't like it a lot, (Jokes in the belly locker accepted) , and very occasionally I may use the F word, but I can accept that some people just don't like it and that is there prerogative . Just because people use it as every day language does not make it acceptable to some and why should it.

Having said that Fun is Fun and banter is a big part of it, anyone really overstep the mark and we have a report button and Jim and he's the boss.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I F and B all day with work guys.

But where anyone I don`t know can see or hear what I say or type , I use **** :thumb:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Doh::Doh: i agree with everything thats said on this thread but i do not believe that children or teenagers would read a thread about the workings of a grey water outlet slow or fast :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I disagree with everything that has been said on this thread. I do so in order to prove we are all different.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I disagree with everything that has been said on this thread. I do so in order to prove we are all different.

so do I...AW C**P does that mean were not:Eeek:

really dontt fancy running::bigsmile:

PS post 10# should be ignored

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
The use of foul language in everyday life is frequently defended by some saying that English is “a living evolving language.” I would counter that by saying English is a dying language. Foul language is now commonplace where once it was rarely heard - amongst schoolchildren, young women, virtually ANY TV programme etc. etc. I’m not prudish or particularly offended, but it IS very sad, and cannot understand why anybody would seek to defend or excuse its use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back