pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
i read the other day a thread about someone making covers for the fridge vents from a plastic box.for the life of me i cannot find it.could anyone show me where it is please.it was a really great idea.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
what is your fridge like / type. we have the large "jobby" with the freezer above the fridge and 2 large external vents, if yours is similar i will post a picture and measurements of our covers. they were not cheap:Eeek: and are simple flat buts of plastic with 2 cutouts. :Doh:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
some fridge vent covers ( mine by case in point ) are fitted inside the existing vents, so no issue with cosmetic appearance. :thumb:

but

i would strongly agree if they were fitted on the outside of the existing vents

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
normally stacks of second hand vent covers on ebay cheap for the older type vents

the newer ones you can unclip the vents and put a small piece of bubble wrap in there.

DON'T OPERATE THE FRIDGE ON GAS WITH COVERS ON THE VENTS DUE TO C0 POISONING:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
normally stacks of second hand vent covers on ebay cheap for the older type vents

the newer ones you can unclip the vents and put a small piece of bubble wrap in there.

DON'T OPERATE THE FRIDGE ON GAS WITH COVERS ON THE VENTS DUE TO C0 POISONING:thumb:
I don't think that is correct, fridge manufacturers usually advise you to put vents on in winter to help the fridge work better, so why are you saying not to use it in this way?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't think that is correct, fridge manufacturers usually advise you to put vents on in winter to help the fridge work better, so why are you saying not to use it in this way?????

read the manual and it advises you to remove vent covers before using on gas. otherwise the air for combustion is drawn from inside the van and any co leaks cant escape

the advice is to fit vent covers that allow some airflow when using on electric if the ambient temperature is below a couple of degrees,

the byproducts of burning lpg are very toxic. it seems most years somebody dies in a caravan/motorhome from co poisoning due to blocking vents to avoid draughts. if a manufacturer advised blocking a gas vent it would be criminal:thumb:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
It was my understanding that from the inside of the van they are a sealed unit. Therefore all air for combustion is drawn from the outside and exhausted to the outside so no fumes can enter the van. My instructions tell me to use these covers when the temperature gets below 8 degrees for the fridge to work efficiently.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
If you remove the covers you can tape the inside of the cover which does exactly the same as the winter covers. Don't cover them all over, just enough to reduce the through flow of air. You can check what the winter covers look like and how much they cut off the flow on line to see how much they reduce the vent flow. Have a look here to see what I mean.

Put a small bit of tape, or tie a small bit of cotton, on the outside to remind you what you have done, you don't want to leave the tape on in the summer.

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
phil D....our fridge is a little RM275.we do have two external vents that are quite large.i have contacted hymer and they are 16pnds each.they are reiss and the hymer number is 3889062.i think they fit inside the vent though but i have been unable to find a picture of them.:Smile:

JCM.....I have looked atyour site but cannot see our.thanks though.:Smile:

TheBIG1.....looked on ebay yesterday but as yet nothing.will keep at it tho.:thumb:

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
If you remove the covers you can tape the inside of the cover which does exactly the same as the winter covers. Don't cover them all over, just enough to reduce the through flow of air. You can check what the winter covers look like and how much they cut off the flow on line to see how much they reduce the vent flow. Have a look here to see what I mean.

Put a small bit of tape, or tie a small bit of cotton, on the outside to remind you what you have done, you don't want to leave the tape on in the summer.

thanks Keith,now that is a good idea.stilll trying to find a pic of our vent cover though.hoping hymer will send me one?lol.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
read the manual and it advises you to remove vent covers before using on gas. otherwise the air for combustion is drawn from inside the van and any co leaks cant escape

the advice is to fit vent covers that allow some airflow when using on electric if the ambient temperature is below a couple of degrees,

the byproducts of burning lpg are very toxic. it seems most years somebody dies in a caravan/motorhome from co poisoning due to blocking vents to avoid draughts. if a manufacturer advised blocking a gas vent it would be criminal:thumb:

Just copied this below extract from the Dometic absorption fridge FAQ webpage found here:

http://www.dometicapproved.co.uk/page.aspx?p=3way

Trouble Shooting

Before contacting an authorised Service Centre or a DAN engineer please check below for a possible remedy:
• The instructions in the operating section of your manual have been observed
• The refrigerator stands level the tilt angle for single door fridges is 6° and for double door fridges is 5°.
• Try running the unit on a different power source if available i.e mains or gas
• [HI]Is the ambient temp within the set range? i.e below 10 degrees use winter covers, [/HI]above 32 degrees the fridge may need - ventilation fan kit installed (Dometic part number 241 298 500).

You can obtain manuals here:

http://www.dometicapproved.co.uk/page.aspx?p=maAbsorption

This is the link for Thetford refrigerators FAQ:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/faqs.aspx

and manuals:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/service/manuals/refrigerators.asp

Regardless, if you have correctly fitting vent covers they should leave the end of the 'chimney' clear/still leave some ventilation so that the fumes can still exit the van and not gather up inside. If you get fumes inside the motorhome it means that the fridge is NOT installed correctly as it should be completely sealed from the inside.

TheBig1 - what make/model of fridge have you got?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back