Mid 90's S700 Seatbelt Question (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My search for a Hymer is taking shape, but I have a question regarding the S700.

Many I've seen online, well practically all of them, have three belted captains chairs and then the side settee behind the driver (LHD).

We're a family of 4. My children are 2 and 11. So my question is, can the Hymer take a 4th seatbelt (lap is fine, I suppose) on the settee, or is this not feasible in the UK?

The S700 meets out needs perfectly otherwise. Failing this, my preferred choices are 'limited' to the S660/670 models.

Any help /advice massively appreciated.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would say a 3 point belt would need some major structural steelwork, attached to the chassis, for the shoulder strap...the vans sidewall isnt strong enough.

general, and personal, opinion is a lap belt is only marginally better than no belt and a side facing 3 point only marginally better than a lap belt.

in a heavy front or rear impact the occupant would/could slide out of the belt with severe hip, back and lower abdominal injuries.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The FFB that I used to own had twin opposing couches with lapbelts fitted. These were fitted in Germany when it was built so must have been recognised as safe. They were on the German logbook when I bought it. If you are concerned about the side facing lapbelts then some have a J shaped couch and it would be easier to fit a forward facing lapbelt in the J.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lap belts are safe Dave.....every commercial aircraft the world over has them fitted, but then, they dont have side facing seats :Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you can fit lap belts to the side seats easy but do not attempt to fit 3 point belts to side facing seats as in a accident it can garrot the wearer :Eeek:.When we have grandson with us (only driver and passenger seat belts) he usually sits in belted passenger seat ::bigsmile: relegating Ann onto the side bench whereshe has pillows and cussions at the back of drivers seat and she sits facing the back with feet up :thumb: or laid down on the bed :thumb:::bigsmile: either way very comfy and probably as safe as she could be in the event of a accident --One day I may get around to changing the passenger side bed layout for a single Rock & Roll bed type of thing which would allow me to fit a forward face 3 point belt to my layout :Smile:
Anybody got plans for a RR bed ? dont fancy paying 400/500 quid for one just to get copies made ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks!:thumb:

I wasn't thinking of 3-point belts as I fully accept that would be a major change.

I was born in 1970 and clearly recall travelling through France in my Dad's new VW bay-window with myself and my sister laying down on the double bed or happily unrestrained in the rear. Clearly, we're more aware crash-aware these days but a lap belt is something I think I could live with.

Noticed also that the rear captains chair is a lap belt anyway.

Talking of which, the new 6-berth Swift we hired in Scotland a fe months ago had forward-facing 3-point belts in the dinette. Problem was, for my 2year-old, that she kept sliding out towards towards the middle each time we went round a right-hand corner. So we had to jam her in window-side with my son or wife next to her to hold her in. But then they always moved out the same way. The inertia reel needed a firm tug to activate, the force of which was always higher than the cornering force. It was pretty annoying, to be honest.

So a good lap belt, in the right place, makes sense based on my previous experience.

This poses me a conundrum. Do I enquire about this S700 or not?

You decide...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think a lot of older vans have lap belts, side and forward facing, or none at all in the back. If you are buying now and there us a choice, I would try and get a forward facing 3 point belt.
We have only 2 belted seats in our van that sleeps 4! If my 21 yr old daughter decides she wants to come with us, she sits unrestrained on one of the side facing sofas. But then again, she used to travel in the rear of our old unbelted motorhomes for years and we never thought about the lack of belts
In a severe crash, I would be more worried about the cooker and fridge making a break for freedom via us and the windscreen!
Allan

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks!:thumb:

I wasn't thinking of 3-point belts as I fully accept that would be a major change.

I was born in 1970 and clearly recall travelling through France in my Dad's new VW bay-window with myself and my sister laying down on the double bed or happily unrestrained in the rear. Clearly, we're more aware crash-aware these days but a lap belt is something I think I could live with.

Noticed also that the rear captains chair is a lap belt anyway.

Talking of which, the new 6-berth Swift we hired in Scotland a fe months ago had forward-facing 3-point belts in the dinette. Problem was, for my 2year-old, that she kept sliding out towards towards the middle each time we went round a right-hand corner. So we had to jam her in window-side with my son or wife next to her to hold her in. But then they always moved out the same way. The inertia reel needed a firm tug to activate, the force of which was always higher than the cornering force. It was pretty annoying, to be honest.

So a good lap belt, in the right place, makes sense based on my previous experience.

This poses me a conundrum. Do I enquire about this S700 or not?

You decide...

Looks a good van, but its top money. That sort of money would buy you a similar age RMB. Ask if they left the rear wheels twins when they put the alloys on it. Some dont and they put spacers on with single wheels on the back...Dangerous :Eeek:.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Looks a good van, but its top money. That sort of money would buy you a similar age RMB. Ask if they left the rear wheels twins when they put the alloys on it. Some dont and they put spacers on with single wheels on the back...Dangerous :Eeek:.

I also think it's avery nice van but about 5k or more over priced

OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks gents. :thumb:

Had another look at RMB and really stunning but nothing large enough to offer two separate beds for my children plus a double for us at my budget of around £25,000.

Laika are another brand that appeals.

Point taken on the S700, so won't pursue further.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back