LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We are on the Rhine at a great stelplatz at Bacharach awaiting the Saturday night celebrations at St Goar, just up the road. Its part of the Rhine on fire jobby so it should be good. The Stelplats is right on the rivers edge and Bacharach according to Victor Hugo is the most beautiful town in the world, I do tend agree with him a little. We went to the scooter museum this morning at Kaub and wished I had not gone. Was so tempted to buy more relics. Shifty has obviously not been through here pillaging as there are bratwursts aplenty. Being more of a red wine drinker it came as quite a pleasant surprise that the local white is pretty good to say the least. Will stick it out here till Sunday before moving further up towards Koblenz before taking a slow run down the Mosel.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have been persuaded by our Norwegian neighbours to take the boat trip down the Rhine tomorrow night to see the fireworks at great expense :cry:. They have travelled down from the south of Norway just to take this voyage, so it should be good. Am still not quite convinced that there are no pockets in a shroud, but time will tell :RollEyes:.
Quite looking forward to it now, at leest they have a bar on board :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have been persuaded by our Norwegian neighbours to take the boat trip down the Rhine tomorrow night to see the fireworks at great expense :cry:. They have travelled down from the south of Norway just to take this voyage, so it should be good. Am still not quite convinced that there are no pockets in a shroud, but time will tell :RollEyes:.
Quite looking forward to it now, at leest they have a bar on board :thumb:

Appreciate some feedback Jan and I are considering doing this::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Appreciate some feedback Jan and I are considering doing this::bigsmile:

Well at 44 Euro each it certainly is not cheap, but am told that this is the best way to see the fireworks. I will post tomorrow and let you know if it was worth it. We catch the boat about 150 yards from the stelplatz at Bacharach and it goes down river to St Goar where the festivities are. the whole place is alive with motorhomes and I was told in the bar last night that many thousands of people descend on the area just to see this spectacle. depending on the internet connectivity I hope to post some photos tomorrow.
One more thing, I did not realise just how busy the Rhine is. It sometimes resembles the M25 on a Friday night only on water.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
used to stay at a campsite at St Goarshausen, across the river from St Goar, great place and terific views from the lorelie rock and of the two picture postacrd castles on the hill Berg Kat and Mause i think :Doh:

as you say the Rhine carries a lot of traffic wouldnt want to try to do an emergency stop in one of the barges going down stream :ROFLMAO::Doh::Eeek:

would love to go back:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The boat trip down the Rhine was fantastic. We boarded about 100 yds from the Stellplats at 19-30 and sailed downstream to St Goar where we were met by another 30 or so river cruisers. Those skippers really know hat they are doing with those boats. They go downstream at a rare old pace with the current, then slew them completely round like a speed boat to face upstream. They then hold them steady in the middle of the fast flowing Rhine whilst jockeying for the best position for there guests to see the proceedings. The first firework display is from a floating barge down river, followed by one from the cat castle on one bank then another by the mouse castle on the other bank. All this is going on above your head and has to be seen to be believed. The cat and mouse castles trying to outdo each other with there displays. After a good hour or so of this the boats then set off back upstream for there respective departure points. Normally these boats sail up and down the Rhine at a very sedate pace, but after the fireworks are over it seems to be an excuse for the captains to have a race up river. What a spectacle to be on board with a flotilla of these beautiful white boats as they race each other up stream against the current at full throttle. We arrived back at the landing stage at 23-00 having had a most memorable night.
We then drove slowly up to Koblenz over the next couple of days, having plenty of wine tastings along the way, and then down the Mosel doing much the same.
We are now just over the border into Luxembourg at Vianden at Camping Op dem Deich, parked up on the river bank as usual for a few days sightseeing before heading back to Calais early next week and home.
This was a last minute trip that we have thoroughly enjoyed and will most certainly do again. The scenery is absolutely fantastic and the motorhome parking places put even France to shame. We are so glad we decided to do this trip and would recommend it to anyone.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Rhine

We are on the Rhine at a great stelplatz at Bacharach awaiting the Saturday night celebrations at St Goar, just up the road. Its part of the Rhine on fire jobby so it should be good. The Stelplats is right on the rivers edge and Bacharach according to Victor Hugo is the most beautiful town in the world, I do tend agree with him a little. We went to the scooter museum this morning at Kaub and wished I had not gone. Was so tempted to buy more relics. Shifty has obviously not been through here pillaging as there are bratwursts aplenty. Being more of a red wine drinker it came as quite a pleasant surprise that the local white is pretty good to say the least. Will stick it out here till Sunday before moving further up towards Koblenz before taking a slow run down the Mosel.

We've done the Rhine and Mosel trips and loved it. Have always started from Koblentz and gone Mosel, back to Koblentz and then down Rhine into Bavaria. Would be interested to know where you joined the Rhine to go up to Koblentz and on to Mosel. And where you left the Mosel for home.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We've done the Rhine and Mosel trips and loved it. Have always started from Koblentz and gone Mosel, back to Koblentz and then down Rhine into Bavaria. Would be interested to know where you joined the Rhine to go up to Koblentz and on to Mosel. And where you left the Mosel for home.

We were originally in Nuremburg so came across country and started at Bingen on the west bank. We drove up to Koblenz on the Rhine, then down the east bank of the Mosel. We left the Mosel at Kesten and drove across country to where we are now at www.campingopdemdeich@vianden.lu This trip can be done comfortably in two weeks, once your in Bingen driving about one hour every couple of days. Its a good days drive back to Calais from here, so no long drives. If you time your trip at the same time next year, you will catch the Rhine in flames and also the Federweiber wine will just about be ready, a double wammy. If you have the time you could always do the Octoberfest at the same time, a triple wammy :thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As promised here are some photos of the Rhine in flames cruise we went on. It was certainly a great night out and one we will try to do again next year. Will post some pics of the Aires we used later.

Attachments

• Rhine tour 037.jpg
    Rhine tour 037.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Rhine tour 031.jpg
    Rhine tour 031.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Rhine tour 016.jpg
    Rhine tour 016.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Rhine tour 029.jpg
    Rhine tour 029.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Rhine tour 027.jpg
    Rhine tour 027.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 38

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
also the Federweiber wine will just about be ready, a double wammy. If you have the time you could always do the Octoberfest at the same time, a triple wammy :thumb:[/QUOTE]

warning ::bigsmile: don't partake too freely of Federweisser as it is still fermenting and continues to do so overnight in your stomach-can be 'interesting' in morn :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Do eat the Zwiebelkuchen with the wine,it's delicious.

Mike

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
also the Federweiber wine will just about be ready, a double wammy. If you have the time you could always do the Octoberfest at the same time, a triple wammy :thumb:

warning ::bigsmile: don't partake too freely of Federweisser as it is still fermenting and continues to do so overnight in your stomach-can be 'interesting' in morn :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Do eat the Zwiebelkuchen with the wine,it's delicious.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Quite rightly the Feberweiber was ready and not only did we partake with a couple of bottles whilst there, we brought a couple home. We were told not to keep it too long so drank it last night. As you say, although its only 10% it does have a strange kick. Also very morish. Must admit that I was more than a little suspicious about drinking cloudy wine and as you can see in one of these photos herself was not on her best behaviour :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Rhine tour 008.jpg
    Rhine tour 008.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Rhine tour 006.jpg
    Rhine tour 006.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Rhine tour 001.jpg
    Rhine tour 001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Rhine tour 011.jpg
    Rhine tour 011.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 30
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We did the same ish! Trip in April, we went to Bacharach which I agree was lovely and has a fab kebab shop not like over here! We then headed over to the mosel where we stumbled upon a wine festival at Minheim! Well it was rude not to join in and had to stagger home, was unplanned so fantastic!

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A few photos of the super campsite at Vianden. What a lovely little town and the chateau is really beautiful.

Attachments

• Rhine tour 042.jpg
    Rhine tour 042.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Rhine tour 043.jpg
    Rhine tour 043.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Rhine tour 051.jpg
    Rhine tour 051.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Rhine tour 044.jpg
    Rhine tour 044.jpg