Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well after 2 years of using a Mifi and a "make shift" WiFi system in our MH I went ahead and bought the iBoost system. Here is my report:

Postage: great service from http://www.motorhomewifi.com/ fast and well packed

Equipment: It comes with a WiFi router - aerial and sucker for mounting - 12Volt socket ( with duel 12Volt/9Volt ) which power the router and the aerial ( 8dB directional ). The router is nice and small and has 2x ethernet ports.

Setup: within 5 minutes of unpacking and setting it up inside the MH I was connected to local internet access point ( in reception about 500 metres away and NOT fully in line of sight ) The signal lights on the back of the aerial showed 2 leds and with a little moving I got 3 out of 5. I was using an iPad to setup and because it is web page driven all I had to do was find the internet access point and enter password. Then my personal wifi within the MH was active and I had full internet on all devices. I asked my wife who has no or little computer knowledge to try setting up and in her words " this is so easy".

I also tested my MiFi device with sim card fitted ( in case I could not find local access point ) and that is just as good and easy to set up. On way home I found that I could connect up to 1km in clear line of sight, saving me loads of money on MiFi sim card access.

Now...... using the routers build in ports. I have a NAS drive 2Tb full of movies and TV shows, so connecting it to the routers ethernet port means that ( within my MH WiFi ) my iPad or computer can see the NAS and I can play movies or TV shows on them. Best of all if you have a Sat dish and Sky box or any receiver that can decode the channels ( with sky card or other methods!! - you will need to google card sharing ) you can connect it to the ethernet port and it starts decoding right away.

The chap at motorhomewifi.com is also so helpful at answering questions.

Very long winded post, but felt that for some this information would be a blessing as I know for many internet access is a must these days.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi what is the cost of this kit THANKS Bernie:Smile:

£ 159.99, if you use the MiFi it is £ 3.00 a day with vodafone so 30 x day = £ 90.00 pays for itself in 2 months of use:

iBoost Pro D8
Share all of your devices, wirelessly!

Because the iBoost D8 is a two tiered system, your internal network remains “invisible” to the remote hotspot you are connected to. The benefit of this is twofold – sites like The Caravan Club only allow you to attach one device at a time; with the iBoost as far as the site is concerned just one device is attached (the iBoost) and you can happily attach all of your devices wirelessly inside the van. File sharing between your devices is safe and secure also. The Personal Hotspot is a small footprint wireless router with a sleek appearance and a built in WiFi antenna for your local network, capable of upto 150Mbps via the latest Wireless N standard (B/G also supported). Two network connections are available on the back of the router should you wish to connect any wired devices to the system as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We've got one and I agree its excellent.

I reckon ours has just about paid for itself now:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
or get a three sim. 3gb or 90days whichever you reach first for about £12. so £4 a month

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
or get a three sim. 3gb or 90days whichever you reach first for about £12. so £4 a month

Thats fine if you live in the UK, but for us mere mortals who live outside the UK there is no way of getting that.......:cry:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I'm using iboost sitting in the van beside lake Como where it's a bit chilly at the moment (cloudless night-time skies). Everyone else using wifi is sitting outside the bar.
If ever I've had a difficulty-usually from me trying to be too clever- Addie has offered brilliant support.
Excellent product excellent service.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I bought a very similar system that works the same way and I think it's one of the best things I've bought for my van. They work so well.

I know you can buy 3g cards that you pay by how much you download, I have this as well, but being able to get a WiFi signal is so much faster and much cheaper.

My own example would be my 3g card costs £10 per gb (sure you can get better value), at home I use 130gb per month. Don't want that bill ::bigsmile:

With the WiFi antenna I can usually connect straight to the BT FON network. As I have BT broadband this is free and unlimited.

Brilliant little gadget.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had the iboost since February and can also confirm it is excellent and well worth the money. I have had amazing connections on this that were just not possible before...

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I don't understand where the MIFI bit fits in? Is Iboost supplied with an unlocked MIFI unit, that draws its signal via the Iboost antenna?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As far as I'm aware the iboost system supplied by MotorhomeWiFi is just for a WiFi connection and is completely separate to a MiFi 3g unit.

Don't take this as fact though. I don't have the iboost so could be wrong.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I don't understand where the MIFI bit fits in? Is Iboost supplied with an unlocked MIFI unit, that draws its signal via the Iboost antenna?

As my post stated: I also tested my MiFi device with sim card fitted ( in case I could not find local access point ) and that is just as good and easy to set up. On way home I found that I could connect up to 1km in clear line of sight, saving me loads of money on MiFi sim card access.

Nothing to do with iBoost. If you cannot not pick up a wifi signal that you can connect to with the iBoost - you can switch on your Mifi ( using sim card access ) and connect via the iBoost to give you total personal wifi around your MH as well as 2x ethernet ports, which you cannot do with the MiFi. Hope that explains it a bit better for you

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback on our products, we had lots of Funsters today coming and telling Sophie and I about this thread and haven't had a chance to respond until we'd packed away here at Lincoln.

Always happy to answer any questions anyone has and its true we respond e-mails at all hours - although we have been known to have an evening off :winky:

It's threads like these which make it all worthwhile. Perhaps see some of you at the NEC!

All the best,

Adam & Sophie

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Ive read several threads on the WIFI unit, looked at various USB aerials but never really been convinced that its the way to go. The Iboost is certainly a good looking bit of kit, I suppose my real issues are with providers

1. Its use in the UK are there that many free wifi zones for it to work, or are most people subscribing to BT or similar

2. Europe seem to have a lot more wifi offerings are they free or is hit and miss

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Ive read several threads on the WIFI unit, looked at various USB aerials but never really been convinced that its the way to go. The Iboost is certainly a good looking bit of kit, I suppose my real issues are with providers

1. Its use in the UK are there that many free wifi zones for it to work, or are most people subscribing to BT or similar

2. Europe seem to have a lot more wifi offerings are they free or is hit and miss

Well you won't go wrong with the iBoost system. In the UK you will have BT Internet zones and many free sites like McDonalds in the EU you will have to search a bit harder, but they are there. France has SFR and FON which allows BT logins and Portugal has BT open zones. Here in Spain FON is taking off slowly and of course like all of EU you have McDonalds.
I have no problem finding free wifi access, but have my Mifi as a fall back just in case.

Best bit of kit I have bought for the MH.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001

You don't need to use BT - you can use buy and plug in a FON unit at home, and then use the Login and Password to access all the other FON WiFi - such as the BT or SFR ones. They cost £32.00 from Broken Link Removed.

Quite a good description on their Link Removed. I know this has been said on MHF before but it is worth repeating!

Cheers

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Hi John, iboost looks & sounds a good system, you say 'not fully in line of sight' can you say what was in the way, trees/buildings/direction ? did you just point the aerial in the known general direction? Thanks.

OP
OP
Don Quixote

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hi John, iboost looks & sounds a good system, you say 'not fully in line of sight' can you say what was in the way, trees/buildings/direction ? did you just point the aerial in the known general direction? Thanks.

Were I parked MH in the site I could not see the building providing WiFi, because of another MH and a few small trees between us and the building. I put the aerial on my roof ( through the sky light ) and pointed it in general direction of building and got a signal first time. After logging in I moved the aerial a little left and right to get best led lights. I could have just left it as was, but wanted best signal.
After checking speed test results I was happy with 2Mb down and 456 up. The best I have had to date on one MH site was 8Mb down and 2MB up, but thats not the norm.....
Whilst "wide camping" I can normally find a free site by scanning around the MH.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The other benefit I have noticed is that it massively boosts the signal.

So there I was in France in the summer picking up 1 bar of wifi on my Ipad. Got the iboost out and it became 5 bars and was quicker than my home BT connection which is quick. Just point the aerial in the general direction of the wifi aerial on site.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back