Tyre recommendations - the big, expensive black things on the wheels.. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
The Sons' 2006 Apache 700 is due a full set of tyres, they are the same ones fitted from new and are showing the old surface cracks, way before actually wearing out. They are Michelin 215 75R 16c XC (Camping).
He has had a few quotes (considering selling a kidney to fund them):roflmto: but it appears the tyre shops have difficulty getting them, the same ones that is.

Has anyone bought alternative tyres they could recommend in this size - even recommend a mobile fitting or national company would be great? He has had Continental Vanco's recommended by one tyre place but we have no experience with them - also do they have to be motorhome specific, as in say camping etc on the sidewalls?

The Continentals (in the above size) come to about £600 for four.:Blush: Now we understand that if it is spread over the next 6-7 years then that's reasonable but now the van will be used more in this coming year than it has done totally to date so tyre 'normal' wear would have to be considered - as in mileage wear.

As always, any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Although not to hand (in storage) I'm reasonably sure our 2010 model has Continental Vanco tyres fitted from new - and I'm more than happy with them.

Steve

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have Continental Vanco Camper tyres on mine, so does just about everybody else I have seen recently, so they must be pretty good. Just check they will handle the weight of your van. Mines weighs in at 3700KGs and they are fine.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I replaced all 4 on my 2004 Apache same make and size,no probs with finding any.My local garage beat every other quote and as I've been going there for over 15 years didn't charge me to dispose of the old ones.All in with fitting cost only slightly more than vancos.Take all the advice you like but remember your only getting other people's opinions or preferences.I looked at all the alternatives but decided to stick with what was there already,after all the people that make the mh's must know a thing or two !

Vlad

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Drop "Brianjojosh" a PM...

Member on here and RVOC site... a lot of members get their tyres from them/Him ...

That`s his business Tyres... :thumb:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi All,
The Sons' 2006 Apache 700 is due a full set of tyres, they are the same ones fitted from new and are showing the old surface cracks, way before actually wearing out. They are Michelin 215 75R 16c XC (Camping).
He has had a few quotes (considering selling a kidney to fund them):roflmto: but it appears the tyre shops have difficulty getting them, the same ones that is.

Has anyone bought alternative tyres they could recommend in this size - even recommend a mobile fitting or national company would be great? He has had Continental Vanco's recommended by one tyre place but we have no experience with them - also do they have to be motorhome specific, as in say camping etc on the sidewalls?

The Continentals (in the above size) come to about £600 for four.:Blush: Now we understand that if it is spread over the next 6-7 years then that's reasonable but now the van will be used more in this coming year than it has done totally to date so tyre 'normal' wear would have to be considered - as in mileage wear.

Regards,

Often I see recommendations that tyres should be replaced when five years old. This is not five years after they were fitted but five years after they were made. The date of manufacture is displayed somewhere on the wall of the tyre. Sometimes tyres are quite old when fitted.

Seven years is obviously far too old.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Often I see recommendations that tyres should be replaced when five years old. This is not five years after they were fitted but five years after they were made. The date of manufacture is displayed somewhere on the wall of the tyre. Sometimes tyres are quite old when fitted.

I wonder what the rule is on this with regards to how old/new a tyre is when being sold. I'd hate to buy a tyre that's already 3 year old :whatthe: and the dealer knowing. As they're expensive enough.

:Smile:

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One
New tyres

Matador are supposed to be good (lower cost division of Continental apparently). Try etyres or blackcircles, as they come to you, which can make life easier.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would fit these i think Link Removed
certainly would put them on my truck i think . might ask around if there is any probs known . but good price i think .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have Continentals on mine, which replaced the original tyres which were also Continental. It's Mercedes not Fiat but they're good tyres. I replaced mine when they were 5 years old and they had no cracks or any sign of wear, but were replaced as a precaution.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I ended up with Michelins

My '06 van had the original tyres fitted when I bought it in Feb this year (Continental Vanco - 225/70R15)..... they were all dated from 2006 and had loads of tread left on them as the van had only done 16,000 miles. I couldn't see any obvious crack in the sidewalls or anywhere else, but simply because of the age I wanted to change them before I did a couple of big trips into Europe this summer.

Vanco seem to have been superseded by Vanco 2, but knowing that Vanco Camping had been introduced, that was my choice.... it wasn't to be however, as I couldn't find any anywhere. I even contacted Continental direct but they could not help. Eventually I decided to go for Michelin Agilis Camping, and went to my local branch of ATS who were very good.

I know that you don't absolutely have to have 'camping' tyres and that normal commercial van tyres will do the job, but just think that the major manufacturers wouldn't spend the cash/time to develop special tyres if there was no benefit to them over normal commercial tyres.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Three weeks in France ealier this year made me thankful that I had kerbing protection afforded by camping tyres. If you avoid tolls then you'll find an increasing number of villages are building traffic calming narrow slalems and with a long van it requires a huge amount of skilll to not clip any kerbs. It's quite obvious from all the tyre marks that very many vehicles secumb to a tyre twatting. Personally I don't regard Camping tyres as expensive and I don't seek cheap alternatives

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My son has had a tyre business for many years. He is a main dealer for Nexen.
I needed some for my MH. He found that a Nexen met all the requirements of weight, durability etc. I needed serious convincing being a 3850 kg vehicle.
He pointed out he has never had a single tyre come back because of bulges, de-lamination or poor quality. I was convinced even though any make of tyres would have been at wholesale to me.
They came in a little over half price of the usual brands but what was on the sidewall ? An imprint of the Michelin man!! :Eeek:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

7 years can be just fine if tyres are looked after. Preventing UV damage is the key.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Tyres

"I know that you don't absolutely have to have 'camping' tyres and that normal commercial van tyres will do the job, but just think that the major manufacturers wouldn't spend the cash/time to develop special tyres if there was no benefit to them over normal commercial tyres"

They do it so that they can charge extra for the niche market that they have invented:winky:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know that you don't absolutely have to have 'camping' tyres and that normal commercial van tyres will do the job, but just think that the major manufacturers wouldn't spend the cash/time to develop special tyres if there was no benefit to them over normal commercial tyres.

Camping tyres do have a benefit to the manufacturers. About £30.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Drop "Brianjojosh" a PM...

Member on here and RVOC site... [HI][HI]a lot of members get their tyres from them/Him [/HI][/HI]...

That`s his business Tyres... :thumb:

That's where I get my tyres from, but it's a trek from Somerset !!!:Doh:

Michelin campers every time...you get what you pay for !!:Eeek:

I have Jim's tyre flashing thingys on and there has never been a drop in pressure !:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Camping tyres....?

They do it so that they can charge extra for the niche market that they have invented:winky:

Camping tyres do have a benefit to the manufacturers. About £30.

Such cynicism chaps.... is every new development a niche market? Should I use the same logic to disregard winter tyres as well?

I can clearly see the difference in usage between a van and a motorhome and the arguments for their use seem to make sense to me. At most I can accept that they may have either no or little extra benefit to me, but I'm prepared to pay the extra premium on what seems to me to be a good bet that they are better. I want my family to be as safe as possible and for the vehicle to last me as long as possible....approx.£120 extra makes me feel better.

Simon

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Brand new Continental Campervan tyres have a tread depth of 10mm, I have 4 available with 9.5mm of thread. They are as brand new and have been kept it a darkened area of my large garage. If anyone is interested in them for £250 you can have them. I am not interested in time wasters with barmy questions about age, cracks, colour or whatever if you want them, come and get them, I'm not in the habit of ripping anybody off. They were only replaced because the motorhomes weight that they came off was increased. PM's only.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In the UK it is acceptable to fit brand new tyres off the stock shelf up to six years old.
You DO NOT replace tyres 5 years after their production date.
If anything it would be five years after fitting
Michelins advice is replace when they appear to need replacing
Age is only a guide
Tyres that are used on a regular basis and correctly inflated will easily last ten years
Tyres left parked for very long periods in the Sun under inflated will be FUBARED long before.
Use common sense!

Expect considerably less miles from the new Agilis compared to the old XC Michelin
My pair of 16" on the front (moved from the rear) are now on 36 thousand miles and loads left yet
I expect about 20 K from the Agilis
Cheap tyres do less miles!
Weigh up the pros and cons

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
lol ....will gladly purchase said tyres for him providing he's a match and had all ''THE TESTS'' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
from a chronic renal sufferer :thumb:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought Barum vanis 2 tyres for our Chausson this year. It was before I saw all the posts about camper tyres being different to commercial ones but don't think I'll bother changing them yet. We have done 2000 miles around france no problem and the handling feels the same as with michelin campers even in a torrential thunderstorm.The thing that made me choose them was that I had an online quote for several makes and the tyre fitter recommended them over the other budget makes they cost £300 for a set of 4 fitted (from memory).Ordered them on ebay national tyres have an e-bay shop a lot cheaper than if you visit a branch for a quote.After ordering them you make an appointment at the branch for fitting (all included in what you pay online).You do need to be carefull and check the load rating.

David

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have a 2013 VW T5 camper and they came with Handkook tyres.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi All,

Regards,

Contact Brian at rvoc Oswestry he get all motor home tyres

07802 661344 :thumb:

Tell him Ian said to ask him

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I have not yet looked at tyres for motorhomes, but would not the manufactures websites give the different specs for van v motorhome tyres ?

Any differences in the specs would allow you to make the judgement about the extra cost against the added benefits (if any) of camper tyres.

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Tyres for the Hymer

I've used Hankook tyres on the last two motorhomes I've had and they have been very good on price and performance.
When I bought the 624 I was told that the tyres had lots of tread on them by the dealer, but after I'd has it 6 months the cracks started to appear on the sidewalls, so didn't hesitate to replace them!

Better safe than very sorry!!!

JJG

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have not yet looked at tyres for motorhomes, but would not the manufactures websites give the different specs for van v motorhome tyres ?

Any differences in the specs would allow you to make the judgement about the extra cost against the added benefits (if any) of camper tyres.

getting the full specs for tyres can be complicated as with other expensive products. if manufacturers want to protect their expensive R&D they dont let the budget brands have easy access. many cheap chinese copies around claiming to be as good but would you risk it for the sake of £40 a tyre?

camper tyres have reinforced sidewalls and supposedly better UV protection if you believe the tyre sellers. All I know is that the manufacturers guarantee them for the high loads and pressures on a coachbuilt motorhome. high load index commercial vehicle tyres are good for builders trucks and delivery vans as they are not left constantly under full load and wear out long before they get age cracks

safety is worth more than money. money can be replaced, lives can't.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
A question then. Do brand new motorhomes, straight from the factory come with camper tyres ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back