Just wanted to drop by and say Goodbye ! (1 Viewer)

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
We have sold our motorhome and bought a caravan.
We had an old Winnebago LeSharo(1985) and enjoyed using it, but we found that the majority of Motorhomers are rather snobby and too far up themselves. I have met a few Funsters and I can say that none of these people fall into the former category, but when we have been staying on some sites we have had some really bitchy comments. Apparently we should move the van away from the new vans as ours was a little bit tatty and didnt give a good impression and we did not fit in with the overall " motorhome look". Ok I aint a rich man, but my money is as good as anyone elses !

So we have sold up and gone tugging, again we have not got a new van , this time its a 1995 van, but so far no-one has made fun or made any snotty comments about it or us.

If we see anyone from on here I am certain we will have a cuppa ready for you , if you dare to be seen in our Elddis caravan !!

Thanks for all the help and advice I have been given on here.

Mark and Evelyn

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Oh.....

Blimey...... sorry to see you go... I'd have loved to have a look round your van... I love checking out older more unusual MH's.

My MH is newer than some but not as new as others.. the people who have made you feel uncomfortable should be ashamed of themselves and their views are certainly not representative of motorhomers in general and certainly not Funsters.

I've proudly got my Funster stickers in my MH... if you see me on a site you'll be welcome to call and we can have a cuppa and a natter.

Simon
:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
sorry to hear of your bad experiences.

We owned two old motorhomes prior to our last purchase.

Our first fun meet we attended we had the oldest van. We were made to feel very welcome and didnt encounter any snobbery. Not even with east end accents

Just because you have changed to a caravan there is nothing stopping you coming to a fun meet and staying a member if you want to.

The only snobbery we experienced was on either the caravan or camping and caravan site where it was quite obvious that vehicles were parked according to prestige with the newest in the prime spots and the older ones like ours tucked out of the way. Having paid full price for the site. We were not being stuck in the corner, kicked up a stink and got moved.

We never joined the particular club because if that was their attitude we werent prepared to give them the time of day let alone our money.

Hope you dont mind me suggesting you get a tracker put in your caravan there are some cheap ones about. So many go missing with some thieves brazen enough to drive straight onto a site hitch up and abscond.

Wishing you both all the best and whatever you do, have fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
best of luck with your new caravan you can still be a funster and i for one will come and have a drink with you both .sorry you feel this way it's not what we as funsters wont for anyone to think mines better than yours ect tell em to mind there own business

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've always said that what matters is your attitude, not what you sleep in. I thought it was great, at Malvern recently, to see so many older vans still in use and in good condition.

Hope all goes well with your caravan and, as others have said, it doesn't stop you being a Funster if you want to be.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry to see you go guys, but remember once a Funster always a Funster. If you happen to come across any of us on your travels, do come over and have a chat, I am sure you will be made most welcome.

Safe travels

Brisey.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From the very beginning MotorhomeFun has always been more about the people rather than what they drive. Our first ever meet had the usual mix of new and very old European motorhomes, a couple of 40ft RV's well as a caravan and a trailer tent.

If you want to meet with us at any rally, then please do. Plenty of people, move from motorhomes back to caravans, sometimes that makes good sense. but rather than lose friends they have made here, they continue to rally with us in caravans. No one bats an eyelid.

Enjoy the new van, hopefully we'll see you around :thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Why go stay in group for some friendly fun :thumb:
Elaine and I dont care what people drive tug or tent in
Its company that counts and quality of conversation
I hate stuck up gits and have been known to tell em to p11111ssssss off

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I am not sure you won't find the same on caravan sites :Angry:. Don't leave the forum and don't stop coming to funster meets ::bigsmile:. We are tuggers and we are enjoying our caravan for the first time in years since joining MHF :Cool::Cool:. You will get a few comments from other members but they are mainly relative newbie motorhomers anyway :Angry:. We are hoping to change to a MH but like you we are not well off so have to sell the caravan and range rover to buy:winky:. If you see us at a meet come and say hello:thumb:.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
:Eeek:
We had an old Winnebago LeSharo(1985) and enjoyed using it, but we found that the majority of Motorhomers are rather snobby and too far up themselves. I have met a few Funsters and I can say that none of these people fall into the former category, but when we have been staying on some sites we have had some really bitchy comments. Apparently we should move the van away from the new vans as ours was a little bit tatty and didnt give a good impression and we did not fit in with the overall " motorhome look". Ok I aint a rich man, but my money is as good as anyone elses !

So we have sold up and gone tugging, again we have not got a new van , this time its a 1995 van, but so far no-one has made fun or made any snotty comments about it or us.

If we see anyone from on here I am certain we will have a cuppa ready for you , if you dare to be seen in our Elddis caravan !!

Mark and Evelyn

:Eeek::Eeek: I am disgusted to read the above :Eeek::Eeek:

Lots of tuggers still join us funsters so please. Keep in touch and join in at our meets

You can park next to me I love to have my RV. Look soo big next to a 12 foot caravan

( only joking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Enjoy caravanning. Hope you do join us some time

Yours Ian

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I am not sure you won't find the same on caravan sites :Angry:. Don't leave the forum and don't stop coming to funster meets ::bigsmile:. We are tuggers and we are enjoying our caravan for the first time in years since joining MHF :Cool::Cool:. You will get a few comments from other members but they are mainly relative newbie motorhomers anyway :Angry:. We are hoping to change to a MH but like you we are not well off so have to sell the caravan and range rover to buy:winky:. If you see us at a meet come and say hello:thumb:.

I am not a rich man either
My RV is 15 years old not a £90,000+ motor home

It's not about what you have got. It's more who you are and that you enjoy our joint interest in getting about and meeting up

This club is the best cos we are all in it :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
From the very beginning MotorhomeFun has always been more about the people rather than what they drive. Our first ever meet had the usual mix of new and very old European motorhomes, a couple of 40ft RV's well as a caravan and a trailer tent.

If you want to meet with us at any rally, then please do. Plenty of people, move from motorhomes back to caravans, sometimes that makes good sense. but rather than lose friends they have made here, they continue to rally with us in caravans. No one bats an eyelid.

Enjoy the new van, hopefully we'll see you around :thumb:

If they go back to a tent they can pitch under ricks awning. Well it is 27 feet long
And he's a down to earth guy
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

>>> runs for cover before the naughty step comes out again :cry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am genuinely shocked to hear about such snobby comments.

Some people are bloody awful.

Enjoy your caravan:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Shame to see you go, but enjoy your tugging. You're still enjoying the great outdoors and holding traffic up!
I don't know why people are snobby with newer vans, certainly never came across that in our old ones, in fact some of the most interesting people I have met have been in converted ambulances, buses and vans with ban the bomb signs all over them. And I always really liked the Le Sharo. Great looking vans with the pull out toilet compartment.
We'll look out for you and if we see you, even park our new van next to you....
Allan

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you see a MH with a smiley decal on , I bet they won`t snobs.:thumb:

I noticed a bit of snobbery when in France.

Pulled on site opposite a U/K Motorhome ( new one)

The owners really struggled to say hello or morning to me---

Next day another new U/K- MH pulled up next to me ,there was a sparkling conversation soon running between the x2 owners.

I don`t mind being left out in my 16 year old van:cry:

I like looking at older MH`s , the styles they had were more distinctive than the same old bland MH`s of today, the only way to tell them apart is the decal styles.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I was quite shocked when I read your OP last night.

I didn't reply then as I'm new to this forum and wanted to see what other members wrote first.

It's bad you've been made to feel this way and I hope it wasn't your main reason for changing vehicles. As you say though, you have found members here to be great so seems a shame to leave here just because of a vehicle change?

I guess I was shocked because I've had brand new vans, old A class vans and then a few years ago I lost everything I owned apart from my very old and battered works van so cut a window in the side and fixed a bed in that to use. I can honestly say I can't remember a single time I've been treated any differently in any of the vehicles. Actually I did experience a little snobbery once from a camp-site owner, but never another camper.

I'm not sure if I've been lucky or you've been unlucky?

I guess you get ar**h**** in every walk of life though.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the new caravan ::bigsmile:

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
I have never in my life given any thought to what others may think of me....Genuine, my missus would tell you:roflmto:

I have an old MH and love being put in the corner away from others, you get more land with a corner and the dog loves it.....Plus I don`t really mix well with other normal people, I speak my mind and often people can`t handle the truth:thumb: I do love to see their reactions though:ROFLMAO:

So do what yer like and to Hell with every other bugger:Cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Mark and Evelyn
We are all categorised in everything we do or say so why the surprise that it also happens in motorhomes.
Many, probably the motorhomers that you refer to have re-mortgaged their council house over a forty year term to live a life of pretence while they are away in their gin palace. It's probably their only opportunity to feel superior to you. I have come across many pretenders in motorhomes. Fur coats but no knickers. Not sure why you let this nonsense bother you.:roflmto:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
You can park next to me anytime:thumb:

This is funsterland, no snobs here, and if there were they would soon be told to sling there hook

Don,t leave, I think I can speak for just about all of of the funsters we have met. We will always be happy to see you and your caravan at funster meets and see you on the forums.
As an ex caravan club member I know were you are coming from,
and I would be an ex funster if I spotted any sign of snobbiness here

Happy Daze and see you on the field
Chrisboyo N Liz

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Its like life

Some people talk some dont.

On a aire in France there where three Concorde motorhomes they did not speak to anyone apart from there friends.

Does that tell us all Concorde owners look down on the rest NO it tells us we are all different.

But I understand the OP there is another forum that has that view {you are judged on your bank balance via your Motorhome.

Anyway beter to be ignored in an old van than not have any motorhome.

We are all richer for our travels in what ever form it takes.

Enjoy your caravan but I feel you will be back.

For me I would struggle to go back to a caravan and lose the fredom of a MH.

Best of luck

Mel

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Mark and Evelyn
[HI]
Stay in the group Mark
the operative word is FUN not necessarily Motorhome[/HI]
mines a 96 mh but nobody cares with this croup and anyway even a 5th wheel is only a caravan in essence.

Roger :Smile:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
I'm astounded. Sorry to hear of your woes!

We've only been MH-ing for just over a year and never been to UK with ours. Never seen (at least, not noticed!) any behaviour like this from anyone. If they actually had the gall to cast aspersions at our choice of vehicle they would be told where to get off! None of your damn business how old or new our MH is!

Actually getting quite riled just typing this so will stop now :roflmto:

Hope you enjoy the caravan and I can only echo what the others have said - it's about your attitude, not what you drive, sleep or live in (or with whom you do it).

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
sorry to hear of your bad experiences.

We owned two old motorhomes prior to our last purchase.

Our first fun meet we attended we had the oldest van. We were made to feel very welcome and didnt encounter any snobbery. Not even with east end accents

Just because you have changed to a caravan there is nothing stopping you coming to a fun meet and staying a member if you want to.

The only snobbery we experienced was on either the caravan or camping and caravan site where it was quite obvious that vehicles were parked according to prestige with the newest in the prime spots and the older ones like ours tucked out of the way. Having paid full price for the site. We were not being stuck in the corner, kicked up a stink and got moved.

We never joined the particular club because if that was their attitude we werent prepared to give them the time of day let alone our money.

Hope you dont mind me suggesting you get a tracker put in your caravan there are some cheap ones about. So many go missing with some thieves brazen enough to drive straight onto a site hitch up and abscond.

Wishing you both all the best and whatever you do, have fun
I've never experienced that from the Caravan Club as on all there sites yoy go round the site and pick your own pitch Bill

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just been talking to Mrs A about your situation, she remembered us being blanked out by some people with older vans, but then, it's happened with newer van owners too. A few weeks ago we were around Fort Mahon. On the way there we saw a huge RV, I waved, no response! Then when we got to the aire, the RV was parked there. We saw the owners a few times in and out of the aire, but they studiously avoided any eye contact, even though I said Hello a couple of times.
There's a different class of new motorhomes owners too.
Allan

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I did experience snobbishness when I had my self build prison lorry (despite the fact it was better equipped than many modern motorhomes! I had people tell me I shouldnt be allowed on C & CC sites, I have been a member for 24yrs!
I even had one who questioned whether it was legally on the road, and walked to the front to check the tax disc, at that point it was suggested in no uncertain terms that he should go away!!

Since owning my 1990 Hymer s660, I have experienced no such snobbishness.

I wish you all the best in your caravan.::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
We are all categorised in everything we do or say so why the surprise that it also happens in motorhomes.
Many, probably the motorhomers that you refer to have re-mortgaged their council house over a forty year term to live a life of pretence while they are away in their gin palace. It's probably their only opportunity to feel superior to you. I have come across many pretenders in motorhomes. Fur coats but no knickers. Not sure why you let this nonsense bother you.:roflmto:
i can relate to this post,mate of mine lived in an ex council house with a 40 grand motorhome stood on the drive,his wife loved to tell everyone how much they paid for it,he was a bit more down to earth,and would shoot her down in flames every time the subject cropped up,"dont forget its on a huge hp payment" :RollEyes:
that motorhome never went far as he was always working, and got repossessed when he ran out of work:RollEyes:
i often ask her why she sold the motorhome:roflmto::roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i can relate to this post,mate of mine lived in an ex council house with a 40 grand motorhome stood on the drive,his wife loved to tell everyone how much they paid for it,he was a bit more down to earth,and would shoot her down in flames every time the subject cropped up,"dont forget its on a huge hp payment" :RollEyes:
that motorhome never went far as he was always working, and got repossessed when he ran out of work:RollEyes:
[HI]i often ask her why she sold the motorhome[/HI]:roflmto::roflmto:

Bast@rd::bigsmile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Last year we were parked next to you at the Whitby Goth meet in the school yard. We were on the end of the row near the gate in an Elddis.
Although ours was new I found your Winnie far more interesting than our "bland mobile".

When we were tuggers years ago we experienced snobbery on caravan sites because we had an old Sprite and it didn't have all of the modern gizmos. This was on CC sites, so we left them and are now in the C&CC, but I'm not saying it wouldn't happen there either. It can happen anywhere.

As you can see from my avatar we have a Comanche now, so if you see it parked up on a site that you are on (Smiley faces in front and side windows) come and see us and have a cuppa, or something stronger if you want.

Nil desparandum carborundum illigitemii.
Don't let the bas**rds grind you down.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Mark, Lets get one thing straight right now!

Motorhomefun is the forum name. You don't have to own a motorhome to be a member - many are just looking, or have retired from it, gone to caravans or whatever.

You are a member of a community that do not pigeon hole you, do not judge you, do not care what money you have or camping vehicle you use. New, old, self build, rv palace or a rotting project project vehicle, camper motorhome, caravan of folder. We all have our own tastes and budgets and that is personal to you.

By leaving because you no longer have a motorhome - There is nothing in front of 'Funster' - you are just putting yourself into a category just as those snobs did. Get your backside back here and enjoy the community, come to meets in your caravan with the other caravan owners, and have some FUN! :thumb:

Remember, only the ones that cannot really afford something are snobby about it!

Don't be intimidated by snobs - they want to be wealthy, but don't have the funds! They act how they feel the wealthy should act - but don't understand that the wealthy don't act that way, as the truly wealthy don't care.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
After many years with caravans then a couple of motorhomes most of the people I have taken a dislike to have been tuggers a few of them are real ars***** I mean snobs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back