Free Member
Sep 17, 2013
northumberland
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
since 2010
Hi there we own a 93 hymer 694 tag axle owned it over 20 months a problem has now occurred with the charging system the charging meter shows when engine is running at tick over the needle is sitting in the middle between red and green and under revs barely moves we have 4 x 110leasure batteries just put new alternator on a week ago but dosnt seemed to have solved anything. While watching tv at night for approx 3hours the starter battery is very sluggish next morning we know using internal lights tv etc is not supposed to affect the starter battery can anybody advice on a solution to our problem many thanks Paul ps we also have to large solar panels on the roof

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like your split charge relay is faulty. this connects the leisure and starter batteries for charging when the engine is running but isolates them when not running. or you have set a switch to draw power from the starter battery. or some numpty wired the tv socket to the engine battery instead of leisure battery

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I seem to think that there is a changeover diode that governs which battery is being charged at what time, and by what action. It's really just an automatic switch, and I know from boat type experience that they can fail.

I think it works like this: Engine running. Vehicle battery charged until full, then auto switch over to aux battery(s) charge.
Engine stopped: All 12volt power comes from aux battery(s). If the diode has gone, then its probable that the vehicle starting battery has been allowed to join the aux system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I seem to think

You might be lacking in electrics terminology ( it's not a diode, could be a "relay" or a nice general term is "module" ) but your sig deserves a thread all of it own, love it.

>> 'Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch'

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can anybody advice on a solution to our problem

Way too complicated for a forum.

You have to break it down and start testing bit by bit starting with the engine battery getting charged, then add leisure, after testing the batts, then solar.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You might be lacking in electrics terminology ( it's not a diode, could be a "relay" or a nice general term is "module" ) but your sig deserves a thread all of it own, love it.

>> 'Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch'

Sorry, your right, I'm not a 'leccy, it is a relay. We had an old Lucas one on our narrowboat, kept playing up, so I replaced it with a manual three position switch.:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
an old Lucas one

Oh boy, blast from the past. If it was electrical and moved it was Joseph Lucas or Smiths once upon a time.

Switch is good, KISS, until the day you forget to switch over.

On here, now, the common solution is "battery master" or cheaper alternatives off ebay. You dump all your charge into leisure and when that is full it bleeds off current to top up the engine battery. That works in conjunction with the usually fitted split charge relay. A nice simple solution.

A good but sad read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Industries

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back