Help!!! My Brand New Motorhome Is Crap (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Hi everyone,
me and my other half (ill in bed at mo with shingles due to stress) ordered brand new MH from NEC last Oct through Dick Lane Garage Bradford, collected it in april found faults straight away and complained to Lunar, wre told rightly so to go through Dick Lane Garage who we bought it from, they then contacted lunar, sent transporter to collect it and take back to factory for repairs(driver pulled out bt line next door on way out)! more stress getting that fixed. brought it back with some of the faults repaired, have since found #27 faults which range from bodywork not having been sprayed/finished properly to stowed table being second hand(scratched, dented and varnish peeling off) we took the MH out to a site to go through everything and the charging unit would not work, water pipes had split in and could not fill tank, the list is endless. Lunar asked for independant report which we got done down our way (essex) sent that to dick lane, now they say Lunar want their own independant report done, we say to dick lane not our problem to deal with lunar, thats between you and us, they say no no Lunar must get it fixed, we say do not want it fixed its a piece of crap, want our money back. Dick Lane now keep referring to Lunar to get things fixed. WE DO NOT WANT A BRAND NEW MH COST 55k FIXED WE WANT REFUND!!! GOING TO HAVE NERVOUSE BREAKDOWN SOON!!! any suggestions out there.:cry:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Trade Descriptions Act (Goods not of useable quality ) or whatever the magic words are - or a 12 bore shotgun :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
That is horrendous. I am so sorry for you that you have to go through all this.

Good luck

Kind regards

Maddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
How about contacting these people?

Link Removed

Thanks RR

we have been in touch logged complaint and now await the battle, cannot see for the life of me Dick Lane Garage just handing back cash without big who ha!

all the while the time goes by and we are not able to get away, thats the worst thing!:cry:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm surprised Dick Lane are being so un-supportive, it's most unlike them.
However the law is on your side. Here's a snippet from Practical Motorhomes.
If you bought a defective motorcaravan before 31 March 2003, you would have had a legal right to reject it, or keep it and claim compensation – but you had to prove it was defective when you bought it. Then, the courts could not usually enforce a manufacturer’s warranty or guarantee, although manufacturers often honoured them as a matter of goodwill. And, you had no legal right to demand a replacement or a repair, although decent dealers usually did this. However, on 31 March 2003 a European directive came into force and improved your rights. On that date the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 updated the Sale of Goods Act 1979 so that the seller now has to repair or replace your motorhome if it is defective. If this is impossible, too costly, or cannot be done in a reasonable amount of time, you are entitled to a price reduction. You are also entitled to return the van and get your money back. You have the same rights if repairing or replacing the van causes you major inconvenience. In short, you no longer have to rely on the dealer’s goodwill. Likewise, the courts can now force a manufacturer to live up to its guarantees and warranties. Changes last March included another important right, too:
if a defect appears within six months of you taking delivery, the law assumes it was there when you bought the van, unless the dealer can prove otherwise.

As I understand it though, the defect has be the VEHICLE and not parts. So you can't reject it if the Electrolux fridge doesn't work but you can if the roof leaks.
Hope that's been helpful, Stick with it.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
I'm surprised Dick Lane are being so un-supportive, it's most unlike them.
However the law is on your side. Here's a snippet from Practical Motorhomes.
If you bought a defective motorcaravan before 31 March 2003, you would have had a legal right to reject it, or keep it and claim compensation – but you had to prove it was defective when you bought it. Then, the courts could not usually enforce a manufacturer’s warranty or guarantee, although manufacturers often honoured them as a matter of goodwill. And, you had no legal right to demand a replacement or a repair, although decent dealers usually did this. However, on 31 March 2003 a European directive came into force and improved your rights. On that date the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 updated the Sale of Goods Act 1979 so that the seller now has to repair or replace your motorhome if it is defective. If this is impossible, too costly, or cannot be done in a reasonable amount of time, you are entitled to a price reduction. You are also entitled to return the van and get your money back. You have the same rights if repairing or replacing the van causes you major inconvenience. In short, you no longer have to rely on the dealer’s goodwill. Likewise, the courts can now force a manufacturer to live up to its guarantees and warranties. Changes last March included another important right, too:
if a defect appears within six months of you taking delivery, the law assumes it was there when you bought the van, unless the dealer can prove otherwise.

As I understand it though, the defect has be the VEHICLE and not parts. So you can't reject it if the Electrolux fridge doesn't work but you can if the roof leaks.
Hope that's been helpful, Stick with it.

Regards
Doug

Doug

much appreciated good to know ones rights, will push on with a bit more confidence now.:Sad:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, sorry to hear of your woes and tribulations.

Modern motorhomes are complex pieces of kit and can go wrong especially where many pieces of equipment come from different makers.

However there is no excuse for 'second hand/used/damaged' items being fitted and frankly if it came back from the converter like that on a recall, there is something seriously wrong with their quality control.

However at the end of the day the buck STOPS with the supplying dealer, you have the right to reject the MH in the same way the Dealer has the right to reject it back to the converter.

You do not have to deal direct with the converter.

My sympathy.

Peter

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
den is there a chance i could talk to you by PM or phone
i have a new lunar580 .will look on sunday thanks dsh :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Contact your local Trading Standards Office

and also a very good consumer website is called consumer action group.

They may help you too.

Good luck and so sorry to hear your misfortune xxx

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....since found #27 faults which range from bodywork not having been sprayed/finished properly to stowed table being second hand(scratched, dented and varnish peeling off) we took the MH out to a site to go through everything and the charging unit would not work, water pipes had split in and could not fill tank, the list is endless.

WE DO NOT WANT A BRAND NEW MH COST 55k FIXED WE WANT REFUND!!! GOING TO HAVE NERVOUSE BREAKDOWN SOON!!! any suggestions out there.:cry:

Blimey!!!

This really is a story of hell........and quite frankly good reason why buying used makes sound sense from both an economical point of view and all faults being ironed out.

I would hope this is more the exception rather than the rule, but if i was the supplier i would be fighting your corner to get a complete refund. I would not accept anything else.

Shoddy workmanship and crap customer relationships can only equal one thing.....a doomed business.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Blimey!!!

This really is a story of hell........and quite frankly good reason why buying used makes sound sense from both an economical point of view and all faults being ironed out.

I looked in on friends who have a Caravan/MH repair shop. Nosing into a MH in the workshop I found the interior roofing and half the front end had to be stripped out. The owner had bought it second hand - it was rotten from damp at the front where a roof rail had been poorly fitted. Either the selling dealer, or part-exchanger,had covered it up with a bodge job.:thumbdown: The new purchaser (wrongly in my opinion) couldn't face taking it back and simply wanted it put right by someone he trusted.:thumb::thumb:

Keith

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
thanks den will phone you soon .:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I looked in on friends who have a Caravan/MH repair shop. Nosing into a MH in the workshop I found the interior roofing and half the front end had to be stripped out. The owner had bought it second hand - it was rotten from damp at the front where a roof rail had been poorly fitted. Either the selling dealer, or part-exchanger,had covered it up with a bodge job.

Keith

If the van was bought cheap or below book price then thats fine.

If it was sold at the going rate then all i can say is they have to be either blind or pretty damn stupid not to be able to spot a bodge job or damp. Plus of course it is always possible to have any vehicle independently checked over.....if the interested purchaser wants to pay for it.

I bought my Camper without MOT......but it was way below the going rate for year and model. I expected to have to pay money out on work done to get it through its MOT and sure enough i did. But i now have a van which is worth three times the price i paid for it.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
thank you den for tonight's phone call .hope that every thing is sorted soon for both of us ,all the best dsh :thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Keith

If the van was bought cheap or below book price then thats fine.

If it was sold at the going rate then all i can say is they have to be either blind or pretty damn stupid not to be able to spot a bodge job or damp.

It may well have been very cleverly disguised but a bodge job that didn't fix the root cause of the problem or the damage caused. Does that make sense? :RollEyes:
Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back