LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Now then, how did Brownhills get my email and then just happened to send me an email about Autotrails at Lincoln show - coincidence that I just happen to have been posting on here about Autotrails or what?

Have never bought anything or contacted Brownhills before. :Angry:

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Now then, how did Brownhills get my email and then just happened to send me an email about Autotrails at Lincoln show - coincidence that I just happen to have been posting on here about Autotrails or what?

Adclick:whatthe:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
By buying it off Warners I expect, when you book a show.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes !! How does it happen...!!!

Why are all the adverts on the side of my Motorhome Fun and Facebook pages full of women wanting men over 50 ???

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ps.. i'm 54 :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes !! How does it happen...!!!

Why are all the adverts on the side of my Motorhome Fun and Facebook pages full of women wanting men over 50 ???

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ps.. i'm 54 :)

::bigsmile:

Mine are full of adverts for topless women wanting men over 50:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one of the reasons I block their adverts using adblock plus.
I realise that the adverts help pay the running costs of the forum, but you dont need to let them be invasive.

install adblock plus then right click on any advert you dont wish to see again and it works. speeds up page loads too especially on a dodgy connection in the van. so highly recommended:thumb:

bloody adclick and the others are a real pain in the bum if you allow them to track you!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
one of the reasons I block their adverts using adblock plus.
I realise that the adverts help pay the running costs of the forum, but you dont need to let them be invasive.

install adblock plus then right click on any advert you dont wish to see again and it works. speeds up page loads too especially on a dodgy connection in the van. so highly recommended:thumb:

bloody adclick and the others are a real pain in the bum if you allow them to track you!

I will do some research to see if Adblock plus will work with the ipad.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
::bigsmile:

Mine are full of adverts for topless women wanting men over 50:thumb:

First it was Russian brides now its topless women I'm beginning to worry :ROFLMAO: I hope Isabel doesn't check your PC memory :ROFLMAO: or is she a topless Russian :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No one hates spammers more than me, I can guarantee they did not get it from motorhomefun. Why not ask them where they got it, they should oblige, if they don't and if the mail is unsolicited then report them.

These people can help
Link Removed
www.ico.org.uk

Hope you get to the bottom of it. :thumb:

For those that don't know. Those adverts on the right are served by Google and reflect things that Google knows you are interested in::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thinking about it, I have been researching Autotrails for the last couple of days, on ebay and a few dealers, but have never contacted any about them.

I don't think they super snooping powers, I bet it is linked to ebay or something.

I will contact them Jim, it would be interesting to know how they got it.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Only Treadnig Stndraods I Hope.
but if they contact you they are leaving me alone:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a different email address for every forum, social media, newsletter, etc. When I'm spammed I KNOW where they got the email address.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking about it, I have been researching Autotrails for the last couple of days, on ebay and a few dealers

I noticed this ages ago. I go on ebay and come here and same ads would pop up. Not just ebay and not just here.

Not any more thanks to a tip from Gromit. And from Bungy..
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

Look at the above link, every line in there is someone spying on you.

A hint at what goes on is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Thinking about it, I have been researching Autotrails for the last couple of days, on ebay and a few dealers, but have never contacted any about them.

I don't think they super snooping powers, I bet it is linked to ebay or something.

I will contact them Jim, it would be interesting to know how they got it.

First thing that springs to mind is the tick boxes one finds on web sites, where you tick to opt out of contact from the company (e.g. Warners as mentioned above) with which you have a contractual relationship and to opt in to letting that company pass on your details to third parties. Clever wording used in some cases, or mis-reading, can lead to people not making the choices they want.

Second thing that springs to mind is whether by any chance the e-mail address used was a gmail one which might have global account settings allowing Google advertisers to have access to the address.

The watchword is to be careful when signing up with any company to ensure that your privacy protection is what you want.

As others have said, Adblock Plus plug in works well. On here, for example, I see only the Sponsored Links on the right of the screen.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
That's weird? I see different adverts, mine is full of adverts about Penis size reduction operations:Eeek:

Dont worry Eddie we are on the case.
It's similar to "we will never lose to England again" delusions currently held by the Welsh

Could you or someone you care about have delusional disorder?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I expect that Shifty gets adverts for books entitled "When will Wales ever win a competition of significance" or "how to win a RWC"::bigsmile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I recently sent an "error message" to Microsoft regarding screen freezing, we had only had the new landline and WiFi fitted 3 days beforehand.

20 minutes later I got a phone call from Microsoft, on the new landline, discussing the amount of malware etc they had discovered on my laptop.

They talked me through the procedure and it was all cleared, thank goodness.

When they had finished I aske the chap from Microsoft how he knew my barnd new landline number and he informed me that everytime you send some form of message you also send a whole range of other information which is working in the background on your computer.

Some firms can decypher this information and use it to contact you or work out what you are enquiring about.

That is why sometimes,you might receive e mails or adverts relating to your recent enquiry.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I recently sent an "error message" to Microsoft regarding screen freezing, we had only had the new landline and WiFi fitted 3 days beforehand.

20 minutes later I got a phone call from Microsoft, on the new landline, discussing the amount of malware etc they had discovered on my laptop.

When they had finished I aske the chap from Microsoft how he knew my barnd new landline number and he informed me that everytime you send some form of message you also send a whole range of other information which is working in the background on your computer.

Some firms can decypher this information and use it to contact you or work out what you are enquiring about.

That is why sometimes,you might receive e mails or adverts relating to your recent enquiry.

Are you sure the guy was from Microsoft? Link Removed

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Carphone Warehouse

Bought Pauline a SIM free phone from Carphone Warehouse. She has been pestered since by PPI spammers. Checking forums they are notorious for this and it is embedded in their T&Cs. We were not advised of this when purchasing. An abuse of privacy and the law.
A bit off topic I know but as above, watch the tick boxes when booking on line!!
There is an Android Ap to block unwanted calls but watch the permissions, some reserve the right to pass on your details. It's a jungle out there.:shout::shout::Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Bought Pauline a SIM free phone from Carphone Warehouse. She has been pestered since by PPI spammers. Checking forums they are notorious for this and[HI] it is embedded in their T&Cs. We were not advised of this when purchasing. An abuse of privacy and the law.[/HI]
A bit off topic I know but as above, watch the tick boxes when booking on line!!
There is an Android Ap to block unwanted calls but watch the permissions, some reserve the right to pass on your details. It's a jungle out there.:shout::shout::Angry:

I assume you bought on-line as we have just bought two SIM free phones from two different Carphone Warehouse shops and have had no bother at all.

If the passing on of information is "embedded in their T&Cs" then I am afraid that you were advised of it as it is up to the purchaser to read the T&Cs thoroughly - which also means that it is not an abuse of privacy and the law.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

thats not Microsoft, its a scammer trying to get your financial details

check your accounts carefully

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

I'm fairly sure Microsoft don't call.

This is quite a common scam (that happened to my Dad as well), they usually get you to download a program so they can control your computer.

If you use any online banking (including PayPal) or access any credit card accounts from your PC I would inform your bank etc and get the access codes changed.

You also need to change the passwords to any email, forum, facebook accounts etc.

These are the first things, then you need someone to check your computer.

Edit - if you need any help with how to sort this out your welcome to send me a message, I did try to send you a PM but I don't think it went through.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
I assume you bought on-line as we have just bought two SIM free phones from two different Carphone Warehouse shops and have had no bother at all.

If the passing on of information is "embedded in their T&Cs" then I am afraid that you were advised of it as it is up to the purchaser to read the T&Cs thoroughly - which also means that it is not an abuse of privacy and the law.

You assume incorrectly, bought over the counter as an upgrade where the SIM card from the old phone was accessed by the sales guy. Can you explain how their T&Cs circumvent the requirements of the Data Protection Act? If you bought on line would they have access to the SIM cards?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You assume incorrectly, bought over the counter as an upgrade where the SIM card from the old phone was accessed by the sales guy. Can you explain how their T&Cs circumvent the requirements of the Data Protection Act? If you bought on line would they have access to the SIM cards?

Thanks for the clarification. It wasn't clear from your post that they had accessed details from the SIM card (which, as you say, couldn't have happened with an on-line purchase. That didn't happen with us even though the salesman had to cut down my SIM card to fit the phone and then test it.

Ts&Cs don't circumvent the DPA but you must be able to make an informed choice. If they didn't ask for your consent they have contravened the Data Protection Act and if I were you I would complain to the top. The CEO e-mail web site gives the e-mail address for Roger Taylor, Deputy Chairman as taylorr@cpwplc.com.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just a quick thank you to those of you who offered advice either on the forum or via PM's

Have contacted Microsoft and they do not think it was a scam. for a variety of reasons but mainly because the company left their telephone number, e mail address and web site. all of these are still active.

Also, the laptop has been scanned by Microsoft Safety Scanner, over 750,000 files scanned and no infected files discovered.

This, the suspected scam, happened about 10 days ago and nothing has been taken (or put in) my bank accounts, also my laptop is now working faster than it has done for ages.

Microsoft also informed me that when you submit a Microsoft error report, such as I did, a variety of sources can access it, it also includes lots of contact information. that is how this firm could contact me within 20 minutes of me submitting the error report and on a new landline which had only been installed 3 days beforehand by BT.

Again many thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back