Sep 17, 2013
FAREHAM, Hants
Funster No
MH
MPV Conversion
Exp
Just purchased van
Hello all

Just purchased my first campervan and would welcome advice from those in the know. It's a Toyota Townace MPV 2.2 diesel automatic converted by West Country Conversions.

Link Removed

Planning to get away in October and no doubt it will be cold. Do you think it would be safe and advisable for me to use a small oil filled portable radiator in the van. It has lots of settings and safety features and doesn't get over warm at the base. It's made by Hyundai and is only 17" x 24" and 4" thick. Small but effective. Warmed a smallish room during last winter's cold spell.

Only me in the van so plenty of room to position it away from fittings and obviously only to be used with mains hook-up. Trying to upload photos of the radiator and the van but forgive me if they don't show. First post on this site.

Link Removed

Link Removed

The van has no curtains or blinds and is open to the world. There are times when this may not be a good thing! Don't want pretty curtains and have been online looking for blinds but there doesn't seem much around. Do you have any suggestions?

More photos follow - maybe - probably not. Think they may come out as https to click on.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Sorry if my queries seem stupid. I'm learning! And looking forward to reading all your helpful tips on the site.

Best. Roger.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Hyundai Oil Filled Radiator.jpg
    Hyundai Oil Filled Radiator.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcome:

Quite a lot of people use oil-filled radiators to take the chill off their vans - probably a good idea to stand it on a tin tray just in case it should leak.

Depending on the wattage of the heater and the amperage of the hook-up, you might need to switch it off when using items such as electric kettle to stop the supply overloading and tripping out.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ok to use that heater if you have electric hook up no chance through an invertor you realy need gas or deisel heater installed if your going to be of grid
no curtains blinds or heater id say thats a west country part conversion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
With regard to covering the windows, if it's just at night then you could get some thermal material like this Link Removed
Cut it to the shapes you need and add some suckers to the corners, it's the same stuff that's used to make motorhome windscreen covers.

(and welcome to the forum from another new member)

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would use thermal foil (bubble wrap with foil lining) to line every window in your vehicle. We used it in our Mazda Bongo for years and only condensation when it was very cold outside (there were two adults inside the main vehicle and 2 kids in the roof). It is a lot cheaper than other liners and easier to use (imho) E.g. http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll-600mmx8m/invt/210022/

We also used an oil filled rad (once) but found that a good sleeping bag / duvet and the foil linings were adequate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rogerabbit

Free Member
Sep 17, 2013
FAREHAM, Hants
Funster No
MH
MPV Conversion
Exp
Just purchased van
Oooooooooooooooh ! Jenny Wren! Norty norty! Actually I was kidding. I'm having some long johns made from the thermal screen material that Wissel recommended.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an oil filled radiator is fine, just dont cover it when its on
http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/ make thermal window blinds for all vans. not cheap, but quality rarely is

a cheap solution is foil covered bubble wrap. buy it by the roll cheaply and cover edges with aluminium tape. then fit to inside of windows using suckers. have made a set for inside all my motorhome windows and skylights to use in subzero temperatures

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Any electric heater would be, at best, supplementary to a fixed heating system because you won't be able to get sufficient output from any mains hook-up to raise the van temperature in a reasonable length of time. It's going to be cold for a bit when you stop! You could achieve some initial warmth with the vehicle heater, but that only applies when you've been driving of course.

What may be more critical is the potential for damage to your domestic services by low temperature. Empty any water tanks if they're not insulated/heated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Welcome to the fun!!! :welcomefunster:

I too have a small van and find my oil filled radiator excellent. It's much easier and safer to tuck it out of the way when it's in use than any other type of electric heater.

I agree with others that the best investment you could make would be external blinds for the cab windows. They make an enormous difference to the internal temp keeping you cooler in summer as well as warmer in winter. I think that you'd benefit from some sort of thermal covering at your other windows.

Then there's the clever tricks that you pick up from other happy campers, such as closing the air intake on the cab heater and pitching so that the wind doesn't blow directly into your fridge vents. :thumb:

All in all, I don't find the temperature a real issue. I do have gas warm air heating for when I'm off hookup. If all else fails, I keep loads of throws in the van and wrap myself up in them and cuddle the dog :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Then there's the clever tricks that you pick up from other happy campers, such as closing the air intake on the cab heater and [HI]pitching so that the wind doesn't blow directly into your fridge vents.[/HI] :thumb:

Continuing my campaign to get motorhome manufacturers to install fridges properly: If the fridge is correctly installed you will not get draughts coming into the van around the fridge! :wub:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rogerabbit

Free Member
Sep 17, 2013
FAREHAM, Hants
Funster No
MH
MPV Conversion
Exp
Just purchased van
Big thank you

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me out on this thread. And I now fully understand why the site describes itself as THE FRIENDLIEST.

Taking just about everyone's ideas into consideration, I think my converted MPV lends itself to two internal thermal sidescreens - running from the front driver/passenger windows to the rear of the vehicle - each covering both side windows. I think, rather than suction pads, I will run a length of velcro above the windows for quick fitting at night - with some velcro spots below the windows to hold them flush. Two metres of the material recommended by you, edged with aluminium tape as suggested will do the job.

At the front of the van - I may purchase one of the ready made screens which fits behind the windscreen and the driver/passenger side windows. They seem to be dimensionally suited to larger vans - but I'm sure could be cut down to fit.

I may leave the rear window uncovered.

I doubt whether anyone will still be following this thread - but if you are - thanks again and what do you think?

Roger.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Front Screen.JPG
    Front Screen.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 11
  • Side Screen.JPG
    Side Screen.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
With the internal windscreen/side windows insulation covers, you get condensation, with the exterior ones you wouldn`t, I have the Silver Screens exterior well recommended. just a thought.

You may be able to pick a second hand exterior from that auction site, i have seen some on there. :thumb:

Welcome by the way ,

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
For the inside side and rear windows, get some thermal camping mats, cut to fit, suction thingies to each corner and along the centre line, and hey presto - instant darkness and insulation.

:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back