Free Member
Nov 21, 2012
San Javier, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
Just started again after a 7 year break
My dream was to tour Europe with my motorhome, I am now living that dream. The only problem is I have to return to the UK every time I need an MOT. I can get my insurance and tax via the Internet but I still have to return to the UK for that MOT. I am currently in Spain, they have the equivalent of the UK MOT it is called an ITV test which is run by the Spanish government. Unfortunately this is not accepted in the UK thus an expensive trip back to old Blighty and start my travels over again from the same point. If we are in the European Union surely we should be able to MOT our motorhome in Europe, after all the French, Spanish & Germans can drive their vehicles in the UK with their version of the MOT. Well anyway that's my rant over, I was just wondering what other owners thought on the subject.
Regards
Greycaster.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have been reading on many facebook and other forums about them clamping down in Spain..
If your a resident you need to apply for a Spanish license once your UK one runs out.
Vehicle in country more than 6 month should be re-registered in spain, apparently not cheap and impossible on some vehicles (comercial vans).
Some people are taking out ITV tests and they are not worth the paper they are written on.

So I think is your getting through with all that it's worth a trip for an MOT once a year :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I assume the drivers from those countries you mentioned cannot drive their vehicles in the UK if their MOT or equivilent is out of date.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
European Law states that vehicles must have the correct paperwork for the country of registration . It is not possible to mix and match.

If you intend to become resident of another EU Country then you must reregister your vehicle . I know here you can get French insurance with UK number plates but only on a month to month basis while you are gathering the paperwork to re register . ( not as simple as the UK !! They ask for a bit more paperwork from the constructor . With a motorhome both from the base vehicle maker and the habitation maker !! )

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume the drivers from those countries you mentioned cannot drive their vehicles in the UK if their MOT or equivilent is out of date.

also applies to luthuanians, romanians, chechnians and every other east european country....but do you really think they give a flying f^^k when it expires in the uk. !!!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
European Law states that vehicles must have the correct paperwork for the country of registration . It is not possible to mix and match.

If you intend to become resident of another EU Country then you must reregister your vehicle . I know here you can get French insurance with UK number plates but only on a month to month basis while you are gathering the paperwork to re register . ( not as simple as the UK !! They ask for a bit more paperwork from the constructor . With a motorhome both from the base vehicle maker and the habitation maker !! )

In the UK if you bring a EU vehicle here I understand that you have to register it with the DVLA within 6 months.

How come I see so many Polish & Slovakian cars on our roads, and many have been here much, much longer than 6 months.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You tell me !! Applies here too . There are folks who live here never re register! So are obviously driving illegally. A car in our local station car park with British number plates and no road tax. Just luck if they are never stopped but huge trouble should they be or worse if they have an accident.

Presumably it is the same in the UK.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
also applies to luthuanians, romanians, chechnians and every other east european country....but do you really think they give a flying f^^k when it expires in the uk. !!!

Our politicians tell us there is never a problem with our Eastern European friends over here.:ROFLMAO:

Politicians never ever lie to the population, do they?:ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had quite a few Pole Agency workers, they would go home for Xmas then come back then go home for summer holiday, this way they did not need to pay road tax (6month rule):Doh:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I dont know for sure but if they go out of the UK then return within a set time it is still illegal.

But I am sure that you have as many ex pats overseas on UK plates that are also ilegal I inow a German in Belgium who has German transit plates on his car for the last 20 years.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I dont know for sure but if they go out of the UK then return within a set time it is still illegal.

But I am sure that you have as many ex pats overseas on UK plates that are also ilegal I inow a German in Belgium who has German transit plates on his car for the last 20 years.

Certainly do here in France !! Mentality is Johnny Foreigner he won't know. But as I said before pity help them if they have an accident and anyone is injured. The courts will take all they have including their freedom.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This is typical Brit logic, however, most 'foreign' drivers over here dont even have a current driving licence for their own countries, never mind an 'international' one, or even a British provisional. When they are stopped for whatever, (itself a rarity now), they come this dont speak English thing, and with a few shrugs of the shoulders, that's it. Those that do get lifted get bail, and are never seen again. So such a minor infringement as no MOT is hardly a fly on the window to them.:cry:

fifthwheeler

Free Member
Sep 15, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifthwheel
Exp
about 10 years
Great to live the dream - good on you. We're just starting out and setting off in a big fifth wheel next month. We'll have to be back in March for our MOT which suits us OK as we would be coming back around then anyway but we can't source breakdown cover for the size of our rig. Got any ideas?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is typical Brit logic, however, most 'foreign' drivers over here dont even have a current driving licence for their own countries, never mind an 'international' one, or even a British provisional. When they are stopped for whatever, (itself a rarity now), they come this dont speak English thing, and with a few shrugs of the shoulders, that's it. Those that do get lifted get bail, and are never seen again. So such a minor infringement as no MOT is hardly a fly on the window to them.:cry:

Generally ( well, a few years ago when this sort of thing was of interest to me) a foreign driver committing an offence that should be dealt with by a summons ( or a fixed penalty where there is doubt over the drivers address) can be arrested on the spot and put before the first available magistrates court to be dealt with.
That's the theory, but in practice, I guess it's easier to just ignore them!

But, back to the main topic, I read a story a while ago where a German couple decided to tour the world in a Mercedes G Wagen. They set off in 1989, and as far as I know, the bloke is still doing it, ( his Wife died a few years ago) half a million miles later.
He must have had to comply with all the relevant motoring regulations, so it can be done. I don't think he went back home every year for the German mot test equivalent
Allan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mot etc is only required in the eu. when travelling other continents you buy bordedr insurance . might have some kind of test in some countries . but hardly any . as a visitor you are only transit visa . you should export the vehicle if going out for more than 12 months . you keep the reg number . but also have an export paper . i did it for my travelling in africa . came back contacted local dvla you hand back the export certificate and they issued a new log book . the log book had changed while we were out the country . we did have a carnet de passage issued by the AA that was 75 pounds a year and we left a huge deposit with them . many do this and can be out for years . friends have took a vw right round the world a few years ago . doing east -west .north -south in every continent .
we just wanted to travel the coast of africa ,give or take a few hundred miles . keep the sea on your left keep driving was the plan .
on re entering spain you could get a spanish itv test done that lasted 3 months enough to get back to uk.

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

dosnt matter to them, we give them money to go home and get it done and then come back again, fuel + ticket no problem good old blighty strees paved with gold

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
They have a saying, "give us the hand of friendship and we'll take your arm and your legs and the coat off your back"
I'm not condoning others views nor am i discriminating against our newest Eastern European community members. This was something they told me when I worked with them
Allan

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My dream was to tour Europe with my motorhome, I am now living that dream. The only problem is I have to return to the UK every time I need an MOT. I can get my insurance and tax via the Internet but I still have to return to the UK for that MOT. I am currently in Spain, they have the equivalent of the UK MOT it is called an ITV test which is run by the Spanish government. Unfortunately this is not accepted in the UK thus an expensive trip back to old Blighty and start my travels over again from the same point. If we are in the European Union surely we should be able to MOT our motorhome in Europe, after all the French, Spanish & Germans can drive their vehicles in the UK with their version of the MOT. Well anyway that's my rant over, I was just wondering what other owners thought on the subject.
Regards
Greycaster.

You may be pleased to know that MoT station systems are already being trailed and in use that are capable of printing documents in all Euro country formats the aim being you will be able to have your vehicle registered in your country of origin and have an mot anywhere in the EU
Say you have a Spanish Mot on your UK Motor Home and it passes, your certificate will be printed in the same format as your UK MoT and visa versa, we will print out French MoTs for French registered vehicles Spanish paperwork for Spanish vehicles etc
VOSA is currently working to 2015/16 but dont hold your breath :Doh:
The systems that are up and working are not allowed to issue these documents they are for testing purposes only:RollEyes:
G

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our politicians tell us there is never a problem with our Eastern European friends over here.:ROFLMAO:

Politicians never ever lie to the population, do they?:ROFLMAO:

BRITS are just as bad in France and Spain! I know a Brit site owner in France who has been using their Brit reg car since 2009. BUSBY:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back