Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Don't answer that !!!!

After talking to some friends at Newark Show
About diabetes. I was told that I had to inform DVLA.
So once on an Internet connection I duly emailed said authority
With my details

Got a nice reply. Clearly stating it is only type one. Insulin dependent. Diabetics
That are required to inform the DVLA

Wonder if Any one else out there. Thought as I did ? :Doh:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
You’re not stupid at all. Well, not by my standards anyway. I thought that I had to do the same when I was first diagnosed and it gave me a few sleepless nights thinking about the consequences of any driving restrictions they might impose. It was my lovely doctor who put me right before I did anything.

Anyway welcome to the club; The Type-Two Diabetic Motorhome Users Club. There are thousands of us.

Keep well, eat well and keep on trucking.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I have just renewed my licence (10 Year photo time) and informed them of being Type II and controlled by diet/pills no reply from then but licence back after 4 days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I wasn't aware that you have to inform DVLA about any type of diabetes. Not that I have it.

I would have thought that your doctor should have informed you or pointed you in the direction of some information.

Ignorance doesn't mean you're stupid.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always take the view (as also with insurance) that, unless there is firm information to the contrary, it is wisest to inform the DVLA.

Exactly the same principle as when I worked in IT. Asking a particular question might seem daft but unless it asked a definitive answer cannot be obtained (you are left with only an assumption which may well be informed by inadequate knowledge).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No you ain't daft, BUT .....

Insulin users of whatever Type, and any T2s who take "hypoglycaemic agents" as part of their treatments (eg Gliclazide, Glipicide etc) who also have more or less the same rules for BG testing as do insulin users. Esp when driving anything for which a C1 or above licence would be required. (eg. pre driving, every 2 hours whilst driving, meter with a 3 month memory, no more than one 'assisted' hypo in a 12 month period)

No actually, I'm afraid although yes your doc may mention it to you, it is really up to you as a driver to know the law applicable to driving - to be fair, a GP ain't a driving adviser nor a lawyer, is he ? And if you happen to choose to do summat that has Rules and Regs and Laws attached to it, then it's your responsibility to find out what they are.

And bearing in mind it's all on the web now, it's easy enough to do and if it ain't clear, you can ring or email the Medical Branch of DVLA.

It's often said that ignorance of the law is no defence and in this case, it is absolutely true.

DVLA seem to be being particularly awkward now renewing licences for anyone on insulin - I had to jump through hoops the last time I renewed mine (they are max 3 year licences we get and am now not allowed to drive anything over 3500kg whereas I always could before, despite my Grandmother rights) and all for no real reason.

I do think it would be nice if a doctor actually said to you when you are diagnosed - ' ..... and if you drive then it's entirely up to you not me to keep abreast of the rules/law that affect diabetics'. But there again I spose if you were 3 at the time, you may well have missed hearing it .... :roflmto:

But then, if the BMA or RCGP don't say he must, then he won't.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh and I forgot - despite all the new rules being brought in to try and get the whole of the EU singing from the same hymnsheet - the UK rules are far 'worse' than most other EU countries.

Bit sad really, cos it does mean potentially that some relatively innocent law-abiding non UK EU citizen, might inadvertently discover when an incident occurs whilst driving within the law in his home country but here on holiday or working, that he can't drive his vehicle back home again.

But there again - he should have checked the law here before he drove here shouldn't he?

Like carrying breathalisers in France etc :ROFLMAO:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are a whole list of medical conditions where the DVLA has to be informed.

Have a browse.......

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

:
Have you looked at the list. Includes anxiety, arthritis, deja vu, learning difficulties and sleepiness ..

Its enough to make be depressed ... oh bu**er that's another one :Doh::Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you looked at the list. Includes anxiety, arthritis, deja vu, learning difficulties and sleepiness ..

Its enough to make be depressed ... oh bu**er that's another one :Doh::Doh:

oh well, thats ok....no need to inform DVLA if you have tourette's....fu¢€ off, tosser....unless you have a C1 licence....

beats me what difference a licence category makes apart from a bus full of passengers if you have violent spasms.....in which case, you're gonna crash a car as easily as a truck

i reckon 90% of drivers suffer tourette's at some time. :RollEyes:

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I am on my second lot of blood clots.the doc treating me rang vosa.and asked if I should drive.and they said yes.not botherd about my lungs.as long as they have not got to my heart.this shook my doc.she said you are just as dead if you cant breathe.as you are with a hart attack.but I have packed in driving my truck anyway.:Eeek::Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back