Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We live in a small gated community of 92 properties and have therefore been able to strike a bulk buying deal with one of the Electric supply companies, we all agreed and signed up to a deal, until 2015, where our electricity charges are fixed, we pay 10.3p per Kwh and 30p a month standing charge + VAT @ 5%.

On Thursday I had a cold call from British Gas who where attempting to tell me they could do a better deal however, the foreign salesman could not understand about the fixed private deal and tried to explain that 17.5p per day standing charge was cheaper than 30p a month.

I spent nearly 10 minutes explaining how these private, bulk buying deals worked and in the end, although he didn't really understand he agreed he could not offer me a better deal, especially when I explained he would have to sign up the 91 other families.

Another advantage is we pay monthly therefore do not run up large supply bills, mine for August was £7 29p inc VAT

Do you get fed up with cold callers who do not understand what you explain to them.

We are on the preferencial caller system but that only applies to calls the originate in the UK.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
You spent ten minutes?

You do realise that you don't have to speak to these people?

As soon as the dude said he was from British Gas, you would have known that you were not interested in his proposition so a simple "No thank you" and then put the phone down and there you go, problem solved.

Either that or just put your handset down on one side and let the salesman talk to himself whilst you get on and do something more interesting. Talking to them just encourages them!

Simon

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I just give them a hard time until they hang up.

The good thing is my wife does it now too , she used to give them the time of day.

What really gets my goat is when you have to wait for them to speak because they make multiple calls. That really gets the hair dryer treatment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You do realise that you don't have to speak to these people?

As soon as the dude said he was from British Gas, you would have known that you were not interested in his proposition so a simple "No thank you" and then put the phone down and there you go, problem solved.

Either that or just put your handset down on one side and let the salesman talk to himself whilst you get on and do something more interesting. Talking to them just encourages them!

Simon

Yes I agree, trouble is we are with British Gas for our Gas supply and I thought, stupidly as it seems, he wanted to talk about our Gas Supply.

By the way, when he "checked" his computer screen he told us we lived 4 miles from our actual home. that didn't give me any faith either.

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

The good thing is my wife does it now too , she used to give them the time of day.

What really gets my goat is when you have to wait for them to speak because they make multiple calls. That really gets the hair dryer treatment.

We usually say hello twice and if no reply put the phone down, however this bloke answered straight away. I suppose thats another new trick they have devised.

I know that they use machines to dial say 100 numbers at the same time and then, if someone answers, it gets switched to an operator in a call centre, usually abroad, thats where the delay comes in.

The other thing is we have only had our landline installed in the last 10 days. used mobiles up to then.

At least he didn't inform me I had had an accident in the last few days which I knew nothing about.

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Stop letting your goat answer the phone then.::bigsmile:

Seriously though some of those people are glad they have a job and not a lot of them like doing it but the not so cold calling bit equals pennies at the end of the day and thats what its about for them,and they dont dial the calls an automatic dialler is responsible for that, its also the reason the calls are not classed as cold calls.

I dont like said calls either but i do spare a thought for the callers, unless i can tell they are not from this country - as i dont give companies that move their business abroad to the likes of india etc time of day. I know business is business but if they want to use our market place they should support our workers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If I am at work and one comes through I leave the phone by a loud speaker usually on radio 2, let them try talking to Chris Evans :ROFLMAO:

When at home the kids always pick up the phone first and if its a cold caller I let them chat away, all about Barbie or Postman Pat:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I don't know where these people can possibly be, cos they have English first names but accents pertaining to the Indian sub-continent - I've been there, I recognise it - whereas all the people of that ilk in the UK have Indian sub-continent first names but eg Bradford or Birmingham accents. Or even Scottish though I don't think I've heard a Welsh one so far. Or indeed, one from Norn or Suddern Iron.

Hello it's Charles - always want to say, No it isn't - you're 'avin' a larf mate - bet it's Mohinder really!

Instead of which I usually say No thanks, goodbye!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back