English Heritage or nt (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
anyone recomend which is better to join as a member we quite often dont go into either due to cost but my son has offered to buy one or the other as a xmas gift

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'd go for NT. We tried EH and found that many of their properties were empty ruins rather than houses that you could walk round. EH do have a few places worth a visit but nowhere near as many.

Wyn

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It depends very much on what your interests are. NT tends to look after stately homes and gardens. EH focuses more on historic buildings and ruins. Have a look at the two websites and see what appeals to you. You might also want to consider the aims and objectives of the two organisations and see if one is more in line with your own views.

Finally, I think EH is cheaper than NT if that is a deciding factor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I firstly think that is a great present to be given, but then suggest that if funds permit, buy the other for yourselves as another gift, try them both for the year. You only have to visit about three places / year to break even on the costs. We are members of both and still cant really give you the answer.

Have fun whichever, or both

David

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having been a victim of the way EH treats re-enactors at events which bring it a heck of a lot of income I wouldn't touch them with a dozen barge poles ever again.

Besides, when we were members we found very few places worth visiting.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We were NT members but there were too many "Don't touch" signs everywhere. We always felt we were intruding. So, we have been with EH for years. It's good for us, we live close to Dover Castle and with just three or four visits a year there and we have got our money back. There's always plenty going on
But, I suppose you need to consider what's near you of where you travel, to see who runs the properties you want to see
Allan

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
anyone recomend which is better to join as a member we quite often dont go into either due to cost but my son has offered to buy one or the other as a xmas gift

We do both. English Heritage is cheaper and has atmospheric castle ruins as a speciality. National Trust concentrates on stately homes with pretty furniture, along with coastal car parks. Decide which you prefer.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Perhaps I should not tell you this but if you join Scottish National Trust it is cheaper and allows reciprocal free entry to all NHS trust UK.

As we live in Scotland we joined Scottish NHt and then found out later we could have free access to all Uk NT properties on a reciprocal basis

Norman

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
EH membership can get you 2 for 1 discounts at some non-EH sites - certainly the case where I work anyway.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Perhaps I should not tell you this but if you join Scottish National Trust it is cheaper and allows reciprocal free entry to all NHS trust UK.

As we live in Scotland we joined Scottish NHt and then found out later we could have free access to all Uk NT properties on a reciprocal basis

Norman

There is also a reciprocal arrangement with New Zealand's Historic Places Trust which you can join from the UK. Not only can you visit NT properties, you can also visit EH properties and the cost of joining the NZHPT is as below.....

Membership is available for families, individuals, senior citizens and students. The annual cost for each category is:
  • Family (two adults and children at school) $69
  • Individual $64
  • Joint Senior Citizen (retired person 60 years or over, plus one other person at same address) $50
  • Senior Citizen (retired person 60 years or over) $45
  • Student (full time)/Unwaged $45
  • Life $995
  • Joint Life (two adults at same address) $1295.
there is a charge for sending membership pack overseas of $10..

for all details see here...

http://www.historic.org.nz/Membership.aspx

and click on 'membership benefits' for a list of reciprocal agreements.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We were NT members but there were too many "Don't touch" signs everywhere. We always felt we were intruding. So, we have been with EH for years. It's good for us, we live close to Dover Castle and with just three or four visits a year there and we have got our money back. There's always plenty going on
But, I suppose you need to consider what's near you of where you travel, to see who runs the properties you want to see
Allan

Allan, I think you will find that NT's policy has changed a lot in the last few years and they are not nearly as protective as they used to be. No need to feel that you are intruding - if you are a member that place belongs to you!! Besides which the cafes have great food, and they have good shops. If you pay by direct debit it's much cheaper and members of more than 5 years who are over 60 get a good reduction - I love it. And it's more than just stately homes - they also have acres of beautiful countryside AND several campsites.

This Saturday (tomorrow!) is Heritage Open day when many NT properties are open for FREE - see the list at http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1356392530547/

Catherine

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you are planning to tour Pembrokeshire I would say NT.

Almost all the beach car parks are NT and the charges are £3.50 a day.

Saved me a packet over Easter and the summer:thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hmmmmm ! I wonder ?

One ( I think ) dubious practise that the N.T. employs is the 12 months for the price of 9 !!:RollEyes:

3 months of the year they are closed !..:Doh::Doh::Doh:

O.K,....so some of the car parks are open ( I use Kynance Cove in the Winter )

.............. + ............

Edit ! ..........Nat T membership for 2 wrinklies.......£69

Scottish N.T. ditto £44........Guess which one I will be joining next year !

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back