LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Do any other funsters with a Smart car have difficulty insuring them. I have insured high powered cars for less money than this thing.
Am getting quotes of up to a grand, what's going on. Who do you insure your shopping trolley with.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
contact eddievanbitz stick one of his trackers in it and watch your insurance quotes reduce substantially xxxx

The tracker would possibly cost more than the car Gail. Anyway, who would be stupid enough to steal a Smarty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Just insured ours with quote me happy. £240 with one extra driver. Courtesy car, protected no claims. £250 excess so was happy with that.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
It is a couple of years since I had my smart but used to insure through smart, very resonable cost.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Try www.msminsurance.co.uk , I had mine insured with them, very competitive price, but cannot remember price as it was a while ago.:thumb:

sequinn

Free Member
May 12, 2013
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter
Exp
Since July 2012
Planning to use Sheila's wheels for our Brabus. Very good quote:Smile:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Try safeguard! We insure our motorhome with them and thought getting Smartie done with the same insurer may help. Hopefully won't be needed, but you never know. Smart cars are expensive to insure because of the body parts, so I was told.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Smart car insurers

Hi, We insure with frank pickles for smart and motorhome,smart is £245 a year covered on the trailer and 12 months cover in europe.regards H::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It does depend on which model you have..
Insuring my mk7 700cc passion was £120 ( catagory 4 ).. But insuring my 2009 Passion with its 1000cc Mtizi lump and 80bh output put it right up to £155

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Try safeguard! We insure our motorhome with them and thought getting Smartie done with the same insurer may help. Hopefully won't be needed, but you never know. Smart cars are expensive to insure because of the body parts, so I was told.

Was that an insurer that told you that?

Friend of mine had his smart hit. Bumper, quarter panel and arch. Took if for a quote at the dealer.

30 Minutes later they called him from the waiting room - car repaired £78 bill. They are all pop on panels and prepainted - that was a while ago, but they don't seem to have gone up that much!

Focus wing, fitted and painted £600, compared with £50 on a 2012 smart car.:thumb:

You will probably find insurers are using excuses to raise premiums, as no-one claims when these cars are hit as they are heaper to repair, than the hike in their insurance if they claim.

Last edited:
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Yes it was an insurance company that said Smarts were expensive to repair because of the body panels. Can't remember which company it was now! I think they make the rules up as they go along. Just renewed for £240 with safeguard but I think we'll shop around next year, although saying that we are just about to take delivery of our new Smart, gone mad and bought a nearly new cabrio, just hope next summer is as good as this one. Probably means insurance will be up.
Can't wait to get back to France again next year :Cool: Roof down and sunglasses on ....we hope!! Sadly hubby is stilll working so we can't get away as much as we'd like to.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
just insured my smart for £140 fully comp with direct line

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
tell me something that is fun about driving in the UK these days?

You are quite obviously driving the wrong vehicles. Every time I get into my RMB a big smile comes on my face, the same with my Joyner sand rail. Am loving wizing around in this little Smarty at the minute, but if and when it becomes mundane and boring I will replace it for something else. May even dig my Triton out of my mates garage and rebuild that.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I found that my insurance went up substantially when I got the smart from memory it went up by around £120.00 from a 1.1 seicento sporting but it was much more fun to drive and nearly as much less to tax for 12 months so its swings and roundabouts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours is a ForTwo 450 Pure 2006 'peanut headlight' one. It is insured with Aviva and cost £213. We insured 2 cars on a multi-car policy, £363.98 for both including legal services. Unfortunately we weren't able to get any no claims discount on the Smart as we didn't have a second car to transfer to it from so are having to build it up from scratch so I expect it's renewal cost will reduce next time.

Rough lumpy ride, noisey, no power steering ... but an absolute hoot to drive!!! Oh, and it's 'pink'!!!! ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• Smart.jpg
    Smart.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 9

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
tell me something that is fun about driving in the UK these days?

Try a Smart ForTwo ... you'll never stop grinning!!!! :thumb:

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Smart car insurance.

Do any other funsters with a Smart car have difficulty insuring them. I have insured high powered cars for less money than this thing.
Am getting quotes of up to a grand, what's going on. Who do you insure your shopping trolley with.
Hi we have had a smart car for about 6 years, no problem with insurance
around £270, except for quote from Sage which was stupid.
Ours is a Bramus so sometimes higher than normal smart.
We usually just do a search and have never had a problem

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can have as much fun in a smart as you like!

Broken Link Removed

I think people love them as they have a similar 'basic' appeal as the 2CV, Beetle, Series Landies and so on.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Was talking to the chap next door and he said he got a great quote from LV
Liverpool Victoria.
My touran is coming up and saga said it would cost £239 to renew ....LV quoted £173.

Its been a long time since I had an insurance quote with a 1 at the beginning.
Fully comp........with wife named........no legal support ( ambulance chasers)
apart from that a regular fully comp with 8 years no claims from me

Saga have a price match thing.so I rang them.......they said they would match it .

We are all being ripped off here.......but LV seem to want the business.
Give them a try.

barry:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back