1996 Swift Kontiki 640/6 Leaky window (2 Viewers)

leesymes976

Free Member
Jun 16, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
1996 kontiki 640
Exp
1 year
Hi there, I've just purchased a 1996 Kontiki 640, the van is in excellent condition for its age.
The only niggling thing that I have found is a couple of soft spots around the bottom of the dinette window. I've resealed the window, due the sealant being a bit dry.
Will the soft spots eventually dry out or could they develop into a problem.
Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.:Smile:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Swift Kon Leaky

Do not poke the soft spot :thumb:
I don't know what will happen, I have found damp when I have had coach builts before, But I just sold em rather then spend cash fixing, Some here will know
Stay Tuned

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly when it dries out the wallboard and insulation tends to crumble. the only permanent solution is to strip the damp area, dry it out thoroughly and replace with new.

the old kontiki vans were nice, but got the nickname leaky kontiki's for a reason. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to repair, but if you are able to do it yourself it doesn't need to. Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like the wooden frame in the window aperture has rotted and will always be soft.
If you can DIY it isn't a major job to replace the timber once the window is out.

Using a strong, sharp knife carefully cut around the frame to separate the wood batons from the inner and outer skins.
Hopefully it will only be the bottom baton that's affected
Carefully dig out the wood, you may need to drill each piece, if more than the bottom one damaged, to pull it out.
Cut New wood to fit, spread each piece with epoxy resin and slip into place.
Place a stout piece of wood on the outer and inner skins over each new baton then clamp together and leave for 24 hours to fully cure.
When cured treat the exposed wood with a wood preserver then seal and refit the window frame.

wavehead

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilkt
Exp
Hi there, I've just purchased a 1996 Kontiki 640, the van is in excellent condition for its age.
The only niggling thing that I have found is a couple of soft spots around the bottom of the dinette window. I've resealed the window, due the sealant being a bit dry.
Will the soft spots eventually dry out or could they develop into a problem.
Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.:Smile:

High bit late maybe but I have a 96 Swift, it had same problem 10 years ago, the spots did dry out ok and are fine only the damp tester holes show now!:RollEyes:

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I've had a couple of leaky windows resealed on our 1998 Bessie (v. similar to KonTiki) and both have dried out without any bother. If you look very carefully you can see a slight wavy line in the wallboard, but damp meter gives it the all clear. I'd leave things for a while before attempting any surgery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

leesymes976

Free Member
Jun 16, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
1996 kontiki 640
Exp
1 year
Thanks, for the advice all. The vanity sink started to leak when we were away last. I looked under the cabinet and the bottom of the sink has been bodged up with fibreglass matting. I've tried to seal it with, but due to the matting it's hard to get at the seeping leak. Does anyone know where I can get a sink from (it's a corner one).

Cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, for the advice all. The vanity sink started to leak when we were away last. I looked under the cabinet and the bottom of the sink has been bodged up with fibreglass matting. I've tried to seal it with, but due to the matting it's hard to get at the seeping leak. Does anyone know where I can get a sink from (it's a corner one).

Cheers

Possibly Oleary's motorhome supplies

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back