Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst away on continent (Just avoiding Switzerland Brian) I noticed several people reversing on to their levellers. I also seemed to remember a thread about the benefits of reversing on to levellers, though can't remember what the benefits were?

But having given it some thought I considered there may be an advantage if the ground were a little wet coming off the leveller forwards would give better momentum and perhaps reduce the possibilities of being stuck on wet slidy grass or in the mud.
So I reversed onto the levellers................................

The mh went back perfectly over shot the leveller firing it forward and upwards under the front bumper and as the mh lost height it fell on the leveller jamming it and causing it to act as a lever to prise the front bumper from the side fairing.
With the leveller now suitabley jammed into the soft grass and under the bumper we had to drive on to the other leveller to gain height in order to remove the previous leveller.

Lesson learned = Don't reverse on to levellers:cry::cry:

There is a plus side to this. John who was in the mh next to mine knew a guy at Falkirk who could repair the bumper for me! Paid the said man a visit and he says no problem at all. He will manage the repair and repaint the bumper for me, when we get back from Lincoln; a job I was wanting done anyway. So my unfortunate incident will turn out OK (This time):thumb::thumb:

Norman

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I'll second that, I reversed up the levellers and went over the top and put a hole in the under floor storage area, lucky for me it was in a void so quick patch up and all's well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Sorry to hear about the damage! :Sad:

We have a couple of blocks of wood on board - can't think why ... but they come in useful when using ramps: just place them by the end of the ramp so if you do overdo things a bit the wheel will be on the block and the ramp won't be tipped.

(The blocks are about half an inch thicker than the ramp end so you can feel when you're at the end of the ramp...)

:thumb:

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you can do as much damage by driving to far forward as well..,,!!

When Parked away from a site or safe parking. ie an aire or car park it could be that in case of any security problems you can just drive away easier, same as not using silver screens.. Of you were in a situation where you really did feel threatened and wanted to drive away it a bit tough when you have external screens fitted and have driven up ramps.. :Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think you can do as much damage by driving to far forward as well..,,!!

When Parked away from a site or safe parking. ie an aire or car park it could be that in case of any security problems you can just drive away easier, same as not using silver screens.. Of you were in a situation where you really did feel threatened and wanted to drive away it a bit tough when you have external screens fitted and have driven up ramps.. :Eeek:

What, and leave my nice new Milenco ramps behind. I think not :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A quick reminder to any Funsters who might be considering off-site motorhoming in Portugal (there are so very many beautiful possibilities).

The police in general don't seem to mind "overnight parking" but sometimes (not often) frown on "camping".

Put out an awning, get out tables and chairs or level up on ramps and you are definitely camping not simply parking.

JJ :Cool:

PS. Been pottering around Portugal for over 12 years now and have never been asked to move on.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Just like Spain then. You can park but do not camp!

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Must admit my first thoughts upon reading the OP were the same as subsquent repliers i.e. the key is nothing to do with reversing onto the ramps but going too far!

When I were a lad and bent my first car, dad got me to drive up onto a set of ramps to see what damage I'd inflicted. They weren't the same as MH levelling ramps - big gaps between each rung so you could feel the car settling on each level, plus the top had one level gap so you could go one 'more' and know you were still OK. Really nerve wracking though and even now with the MH on our Fiamma ramps I feel like I must be about to drive off the end when I'm still OK.

Proof you can do it safely, last year I managed this about a week after purchase:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
RWD

Another good reason for driving a Mercedes, stick with rear wheel drive. But maybe then don't try and level the back end................. :whatthe:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How does that change anything?

Fair point, typical me, I have no re-read original post, I had presumed the ramps had been 'squirted' out by the front wheels, rather than over enthusiastic acceleration.

David

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Why not just get the other half to watch and shout 'stop' when you're near the top? That's what we do.

That's what we do too and did on this occasion too, but forward momentum increased due to leveller sinking nose first into the softish ground

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You have nothing to gain from reversing onto ramps on the front end - absolutely nothing.

If on grass, reversing on will give momentum to get you going - but that only works if you position the vehicle in a manner that you an drive straight off and away, going back to collect your ramps. By reversing on the front - you just add another obstacle, as you have to stop and remove to allow passage of your rear wheels - and if the ramps have sunk, you will hit your undercarriage/sills.

To gain, you reverse up lifting the rear - allowing momentum to take you away from any soft ground.

If your front needs lifting, just drive on forwards. You ramp has 3 or 4 'steps' so count them as you go up, and have someone watching to check if the ramp has moved/slipped a step one side. If alone - pop a peg or two in front of the step to stop it slipping forwards/if on hard ground (ie concrete, smooth tarmac), a peice of old carpet or similar underneath them will help the ramps grip.

Another little rule of thumb - Wet grass has the same traction properties as snow - so treat it as such, and you will find life a bit easier!:thumb:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
We have a pair of the large Milenco Ramps and I frequently reverse onto them, I have on occasion used the old Fiama yellow ones on the back side of the Milencos if we need to get near the top and risk going over the top. With an Auto box it is not quite as easy to creep up as using a manual box.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We have a pair of the large Milenco Ramps and I frequently reverse onto them, I have on occasion used the old Fiama yellow ones on the back side of the Milencos if we need to get near the top and risk going over the top. With an Auto box it is not quite as easy to creep up as using a manual box.

Like this idea

Norman

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Have to agree with this post, with an auto box it is not that easy. Managed to run over the top of my triple milencos recently so bought some quads and only go to level three. Only problem is storage on a PVC!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
That's what we do too and did on this occasion too, but forward momentum increased due to leveller sinking nose first into the softish ground

Pretty pointless using them really if the ground was soft, I thought you would have realised the weight of the M/H would push the front down.

Only use them on hard ground

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Pretty pointless using them really if the ground was soft, I thought you would have realised the weight of the M/H would push the front down.

Only use them on hard ground

I do now = experience is a great teacher

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i am always surprised when i read of people that wont use ramps to level off a bit when needed. fact is, if youre out of level the fridge wont work properly. its not like a fridge at home

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
i am always surprised when i read of people that wont use ramps to level off a bit when needed. fact is, if youre out of level the fridge wont work properly. its not like a fridge at home

Very true Big1 It can also be the lead up to the jet in the fridge getting a bit sooty and restricting the flow of gas resulting in it failing to work on gas. The water in the shower tray does not head out of the plughole either and the Cupboard & bathroom doors start opening or closing dependent on the slope. It can also affect the satellite reception in fringe areas so all in all allot to be said for being on the level.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Whilst away on continent (Just avoiding Switzerland Brian) I noticed several people reversing on to their levellers. I also seemed to remember a thread about the benefits of reversing on to levellers, though can't remember what the benefits were?

But having given it some thought I considered there may be an advantage if the ground were a little wet coming off the leveller forwards would give better momentum and perhaps reduce the possibilities of being stuck on wet slidy grass or in the mud.
So I reversed onto the levellers................................

The mh went back perfectly over shot the leveller firing it forward and upwards under the front bumper and as the mh lost height it fell on the leveller jamming it and causing it to act as a lever to prise the front bumper from the side fairing.
With the leveller now suitabley jammed into the soft grass and under the bumper we had to drive on to the other leveller to gain height in order to remove the previous leveller.

Lesson learned = Don't reverse on to levellers:cry::cry:

There is a plus side to this. John who was in the mh next to mine knew a guy at Falkirk who could repair the bumper for me! Paid the said man a visit and he says no problem at all. He will manage the repair and repaint the bumper for me, when we get back from Lincoln; a job I was wanting done anyway. So my unfortunate incident will turn out OK (This time):thumb::thumb:

Norman

Surely lesson leaned = try and be a bit more careful when using levellers - a bad workman always blames his tools.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back