Scarface GTti

Free Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We've recently bought a motorhome to take our young kids away and its great. One thing i've been greatly looking forward to is some trips to London, we love London, we just can't afford hotels in the area and it would be silly to do that now we have a motorhome. Been doing lots of research into sites and its a really good setup for a motorhomer going into the capital.....................................that is until i came across LEZ. I found the checker and our motorhome is non compliant, gutted. The £100 a day fee seems extremely steep to me, but it would i suppose seeing as we have little money, i suppose you have to appreciate what they are trying to achieve.

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've recently bought a motorhome to take our young kids away and its great. One thing i've been greatly looking forward to is some trips to London, we love London, we just can't afford hotels in the area and it would be silly to do that now we have a motorhome. Been doing lots of research into sites and its a really good setup for a motorhomer going into the capital.....................................that is until i cam across LEZ. I found the checker and our motorhome is non compliant, gutted. The £100 a day fee seems extremely steep to me, but it would i suppose seeing as we have little money, i suppose you have to appreciate what they are trying to achieve.

The LEZ is a problem if you have a diesel. Even if you buy a brand new one, it will only be compliant for a couple of years, as they up the required Euro rating so frequently.

However, there are campsites just outside the LEZ with rail connections.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We've recently bought a motorhome to take our young kids away and its great. One thing i've been greatly looking forward to is some trips to London, we love London, we just can't afford hotels in the area and it would be silly to do that now we have a motorhome. Been doing lots of research into sites and its a really good setup for a motorhomer going into the capital.....................................that is until i cam across LEZ. I found the checker and our motorhome is non compliant, gutted. The £100 a day fee seems extremely steep to me, but it would i suppose seeing as we have little money, i suppose you have to appreciate what they are trying to achieve.

Don't disappear, there are sites just outside the LEZ area a with good transport links. See Carols thread here, it should help for ideas of how to enjoy London while staying outside the LEZ.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Good thing about London is that it's easy to get to from just outside the LEZ. Have a search for campsites outside the LEZ. you should find a couple at least then it's usually only a short hop to a station within the travel card zones.
Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Picking up on Allan's post, I'm pretty sure several CC/C&CC sites and CLs/CSs have been mentioned previously. There is also Link Removed which is outside the LEZ. Avoid the other Lee Valley site at Edmonton as it is inside the LEZ.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Broken Link Removed

There is a good discussion here hope it helps Abbey Wood seems to be the good choice

Abbey Wood Caravan Club

Lee Valley Camping and Caravan Club, at Edmonton

Crystal Palace Caravan Club

Can you tell us something about them?

Which one will you choose? and why?

Thank you very much and bear in mind my English is poor

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Broken Link Removed

There is a good discussion here hope it helps Abbey Wood seems to be the good choice

[HI]Abbey Wood Caravan Club

Lee Valley Camping and Caravan Club, at Edmonton

Crystal Palace Caravan Club
[/HI]
Can you tell us something about them?

Which one will you choose? and why?

Thank you very much and bear in mind my English is poor

Unfortunately all three of those sites are inside the LEZ.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Sorry if I confused Chertsey was recommended in the discussion

C+CC site at Chertsey

Next to Thames, outside LEZ (if that a problem), well run,open all year, but book because many winterers.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Chertsey has a good rail link with Central London.

Nice site and area:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There is a site in ILfors just 10 mins from the end of a tube line,I think its a Caravan Club listed CL.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
When you checked with the LEZ site did you just put in your registration details or did you fill in the form giving your full m/home details? The reason I mention this is that when I did ours they had it down as a 5000kg which was not compliant when it was in fact 3500kg which is.

OP
OP
S

Scarface GTti

Free Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Oh, thats a fair point, i'll have another look at that. I'll just have to find out the weights and dimensions of our rig first and have another look. Thanks everyone else for your suggestions. Just a shame that we have to be further out, my thinking was that we could have longer days out if you're staying closer as its a short hop back to base when the kids get tired but its a compromise thats good to take so that we can still visit London.

Before the kids we would stay at our favourite place at Southwark, the Premier Inn next to the old Clink Prison, then as things got tight we would stop at Premier Inn at Edgware as its the end of the Tube and it would save about £40 a night but would just mean 25mins travel in on the Tube.

Thanks again everyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back