Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone know of an app I can download to kill mobile data on apps I have on a galaxy note phone?
My phone updates a lot of apps in the background using a lot of my expensive data (£39 a month for 1gb)
I want to use the apps on Wii fi only to conserve the amount of data I will use on my Euro SIM abroad, I only have 1gb to use on my galaxy note every month when away next week for 7 months.
I used to use onavo count and that used to restrict data usage and only let apps update through Wii fi if I chose but the app has updated and no longer does that.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If Android you need APNKiller, which will knock out all your apps from running an updating. You will need to switch it on/off when you need to go online or use apps, but will save you a fortune!

Free to download from your ap store on the phone.

There is another that takes out your wifi - can't recall its' now right now!

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Under Play Store settings in Auto-update apps, make sure it is set to Auto-update apps over WiFi only or Do not auto update apps and Notifications is off.

Under Samsung Apps settings, make sure Update notification is set of Off or WiFi only and Push Notification is off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hopefully it won't matter by 2016. Your UK tarriff becomes a European one. Well that's Ofcoms grand plan:Smile: it will be good if they pull it off:Smile:

marksmith

Free Member
Jun 24, 2013
Hampshire UK
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008. Owned since July 2013.
Anyone know of an app I can download to kill mobile data on apps I have on a galaxy note phone?

Pull down the Settings bar from the top of the screen, then unselect "Mobile Data" in the list along the top. Nothing will be able to use any mobile data, only Wifi.

(GJH's suggestion of switching off updates will not stop the apps from running and using data, which is what you ask for.)

I have a Galaxy S3 which is slightly different, but this might help:
Broken Link Removed

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hopefully it won't matter by 2016. Your UK tarriff becomes a European one. Well that's Ofcoms grand plan:Smile: it will be good if they pull it off:Smile:

Already being rolled out by the 3 network. As we were passing through Denmark at the weekend I had a text announcing their Feel At Home Service:

You can currently enjoy your UK allowances in the following countries:

• Australia
  • Austria
  • Denmark
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Sweden.
It includes calls and texts to the UK and your UK data allowance.

Not much use for the rest of Europe but handy for us Scandinavian tourists. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Pull down the Settings bar from the top of the screen, then unselect "Mobile Data" in the list along the top. Nothing will be able to use any mobile data, only Wifi.
[HI]
(GJH's suggestion of switching off updates will not stop the apps from running and using data, which is what you ask for.) [/HI]

Oops, sorry, misread the OP :Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
To be absolutely sure I have two data connections.

GiffGaff - the genuine one pointing to giffgaff

Dummy - pointing to a blank address.

I leave it on Dummy and change to giffgaff when I need mobile data on the hoof. Which is very rare ( prefer WiFi ) or else it would be a nuisance.

settings.....wireless and networks.....mobile networks......access point names

Just create "dummy" and don't set anything

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I looked into this a while back. The information I found generally suggested that 'data killing' apps are probably more harmful than useful. Android is a very efficient operating system and will use apps as it sees fit..................however...........

To stop apps from updating themselves go to the Play Store and in settings set the auto update to wifi only.

As Marksmith said turn of your mobile data

Download 'Watchdog Lite' app, this app allows you to see which process are running and see if any are misbehaving.

I used to worry about this but really dont bother now. The important thing is to turn off mobile data until you need it :Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Already being rolled out by the 3 network. As we were passing through Denmark at the weekend I had a text announcing their Feel At Home Service:

You can currently enjoy your UK allowances in the following countries:

• Australia
  • Austria
  • Denmark
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Sweden.
It includes calls and texts to the UK and your UK data allowance.

Not much use for the rest of Europe but handy for us Scandinavian tourists. :thumb:

3 are also starting to roll out their UK 4G service towards the end of this year.

"When we start to roll out our 4G network later this year, and if you have a 4G Ready device, you'll be able to experience even faster internetting without paying a penny extra, because we'll nudge you up at no extra cost. Kitty cat high fives all round.

What's more, as we're the only network to offer all-you-can-eat data on 4G, you'll be able to do all the internetting you love, as much as you like and faster than ever. "

Yet more reasons to use 3 aside that they already have the best 3G data coverage in the UK....:thumb:

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back