Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
The Dometic fridge on my autotrail has a puny thin sliding/locking plastic plate that has broken. I a bit of bad design as its too thin and fragile for the job.
Has anyone got a better solution to this plate..or can you point me to where I can get a couple more as even a new one is going to break again sooner or later.

Bad designers should be shot !

barry:Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Try going online as they have a customer support and spares department.

www.dometic.com should get you started.

You could also give them a piece of your mind about the product whilst you are on to them. :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
ours broke too whilst we were at the malvern show, luckily there was a stall with replacement part but at just under £15 we thought it very expensive for a few small bits of plastic

if you cant get what you want there may be a stall at shepton or lincoln so post again if you are still stuck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here you go, it is expensive for what it is. If its just the front slider that's broken they are about a tenner.Link Removed

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Thanks for the info

Just seen the price for a bit of plastic.....!!! Amazing

So out to the workshop ( Im lucky to have some good equipment ) reglued it then re enforced it across the break with A thin strip of corian..re drilled the hole through the corian and profiled the new material to match the original shape then
added two more thin strips of aluminium at either end

Its now 10 times stronger than it was.......and all the reinforcing is underneath
so cant be seen.

This original part is just not up to the job.

thanks for the replies

barry

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
And here I am thinking is only me who is cack handed. Ours has cracked right across where the hole is where the screw goes. So far just re-screwing it when it jams has worked. Where on earth do they get £25 :Eeek: from!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I don't know if my fridge catch is broken or not because it's missing completely. I didn't notice at the time of buying the van :Sad:

Normally just put the water container in front of the door but reading through this I've just priced up and new catch assembly - one piece of bent metal and one plastic lever. Total price just under £40. BARGAIN!! I'll keep using the container:roflmto:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't know if my fridge catch is broken or not because it's missing completely. I didn't notice at the time of buying the van :Sad:

Normally just put the water container in front of the door but reading through this I've just priced up and new catch assembly - one piece of bent metal and one plastic lever. Total price just under £40. BARGAIN!! I'll keep using the container:roflmto:

Ours is broken, I removed the plastic slide bit and can then see the metal locking piece, which we can then move with a screw driver or finger nail if brave!! I guess they are all a bit different but you might not need the water container

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The Dometic fridge on my autotrail has a puny thin sliding/locking plastic plate that has broken. I a bit of bad design as its too thin and fragile for the job.
Has anyone got a better solution to this plate..or can you point me to where I can get a couple more as even a new one is going to break again sooner or later.

Bad designers should be shot !

barry:Smile:

I totally agree, awful design, ours has broken, but we managed to get the slide off (unscrewed when open) now can move locking piece by hand or screwdriver. Not sure I am happy to pay £40 and have it break again, we were lucky to get it open first time. No access to steak or cold beer too big a risk David

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I agree how can they justify £20 for what must be a design that is not fit for purpose. I am going to have words with them tomorrow.

I don't mind replacing something I broke because I was a bit brutal with it
but there is no doubt that this is bad design.

The screw is too big and exerts too much stress on the thin plastic that just breaks as you tighten the screw... it has no strength. Two small screws not pressuring the weakest point........thicker plastic
or a metal plate rather than a plastic one would be better solutions.

I will let you know what they say.

barry:)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Ours has failed twice. Original glue repair lasted a few weeks but ultimately doomed. Short term I have taken to sticking a golf tee in the left hand alternative hinge mount into the corresponding hole in the door but the reinforcing fix described above seems pretty good.:Smile: :Smile::Smile:

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Us too!

Our catch broke as well. Having seen the price of replacements, we adopted the flick the metal catch by hand option.

At this rate it would be easier to ask people to post if they haven't had this part fail. :Smile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Ours has failed twice. Original glue repair lasted a few weeks but ultimately doomed. Short term I have taken to sticking a golf tee in the left hand alternative hinge mount into the corresponding hole in the door but the reinforcing fix described above seems pretty good.:Smile: :Smile::Smile:

The best fixes are often the simplest, excellent suggestion, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back