buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just been to folkestone for a week whilst we were there my pump kept running for a split second every now and then. With being a plumber I knew we had a leak somewhere we have had this motorhome for about 5 months it is an autotrail cheyenne 840D I found the pipework under the cooker to the external shower was leaking a trip to plumbase and 2 speedfit stop ends fitted I then found leaking pipework under the cupboard in the bedroom the pushfit fittings autotrail have used are made by whale the fittings were leaking on the o rings.
After getting home I have purchased a new external shower and I have stripped the whale fittings and replaced the o rings with speedfit ones that seem a little bit thicker the pump is now quite again thought this might help someone and I have kept the stop ends in the motorhome just in case I need to cap off a faulty tap or anything whilst away

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome to MHF!

We carry few pushfit connectors and ends.
It proved invaluable when one of our pipes was melted by our heating system last year whilst in France skiing!:Eeek:

OP
OP
buckby

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Could have kicked myself I had loads of speedfit in the garage at home

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just been to folkestone for a week whilst we were there my pump kept running for a split second every now and then. With being a plumber I knew we had a leak somewhere we have had this motorhome for about 5 months it is an autotrail cheyenne 840D I found the pipework under the cooker to the external shower was leaking a trip to plumbase and 2 speedfit stop ends fitted I then found leaking pipework under the cupboard in the bedroom the pushfit fittings autotrail have used are made by whale the fittings were leaking on the o rings.
After getting home I have purchased a new external shower and I have stripped the whale fittings and replaced the o rings with speedfit ones that seem a little bit thicker the pump is now quite again thought this might help someone and I have kept the stop ends in the motorhome just in case I need to cap off a faulty tap or anything whilst away

Thanks for this tip, we've just come back home from Nottingham after buying an Autotrail, so any useful tips on a different van are much appreciated.

You get used to the van you've had and now it's down to getting used to another one. Leaks can cause so much damage to everything :thumb:

Bill

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Ours push fittings fell off while travelling.
First one was the one under the handbasin next to the toilet.
Second one was under the kitchen sink.

Both discovered before any major damage was done.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Interested to know when your pump was running this extra split second ? just after you closed a tap or randomly ?

I ask because my the Sureflow pump in the new Laika has a habit of running for a split second, all by itself (no tap opened) thought it may be a way to keep pressure in the system but now wondering if it's leak related ?

Any ideas ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I will second the proper Speedfit thing.

I have tried two alternates when I was building my previous vehicle and both were sub standard. The proper John Guest ones however have been 100% perfect and only cost £1 more each. Well worth the money.

I won't touch anything but John Guest since...

OP
OP
buckby

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
pump

The pump would run for a split second every now and then when there was no demand for water anywhere in the motorhome the other way of testing is to pressurise the system turn the pump off on the panel leave for 20 mins then turn back on if the pump runs for a couple of seconds there could be a leak somewhere hope this helps someone

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
When I built ours I first used whale push fittings soon noticed a few failing whilst still in the building stage so changed the whole lot for John Guest ones, not had a failure so far, much better quality.

Apr 30, 2008
South Beds
Funster No
Exp
27yrs ish
Interested to know when your pump was running this extra split second ? just after you closed a tap or randomly ?

I ask because my the Sureflow pump in the new Laika has a habit of running for a split second, all by itself (no tap opened) thought it may be a way to keep pressure in the system but now wondering if it's leak related ?

Any ideas ?

Yes mine did this. No leak, but the diaphram in the pump was faulty. In my case excess limescale. Sent away for new diaphram; fitted it- now all ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back