Ducato tri axle mini bus, anyone converted one? (1 Viewer)

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Looking at buying a fiat ducato tri axle minibus for a self build conversion, anyone on here got one or converted one?

Many thanks

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi Martin,

Umm - it looks quite a good vehicle to do a conversion on - don't be too put off by all the windows - you could easily panel those in where required. I did a 36ft coach conversion 25yrs ago and it was well worth all the effort.

One tip if you do go ahead - completely strip it internally back to the outer skin and fill all the cavities with spray on closed cell polyurethane foam - it will also give excellent soundproofing as it is keyed to the actual surfaces. Re-fit or replace the internal skin and your ready to start the fit out.

Best wishes, Chris.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It is easy to remove glass and sheet over windows then it'sa stright forward van conversion :thumb: Theres a couple of tag axle vans one with only a few thousand miles on a 05 plate for about 12k
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a great blank canvas for a self build, but watch out for worn out running gear as many of these vans have had a hard life. the local to me social services run a fleet of these buses and there are always a couple off the road. suspension and gearbox seem to be weak points.

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
like this?
Link Removed

All those windows would make it a problem I reckon, but thats only my opinion

Thanks duane, I was watching that one on ebay, It is a similar one I am buying, not phased by the windows, it wont take long to take them out and sheet over with ally and then install the windows where I want them.

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
Hi Martin,

Umm - it looks quite a good vehicle to do a conversion on - don't be too put off by all the windows - you could easily panel those in where required. I did a 36ft coach conversion 25yrs ago and it was well worth all the effort.

One tip if you do go ahead - completely strip it internally back to the outer skin and fill all the cavities with spray on closed cell polyurethane foam - it will also give excellent soundproofing as it is keyed to the actual surfaces. Re-fit or replace the internal skin and your ready to start the fit out.

Best wishes, Chris.

Hi Chris thanks,

yes my intention would be to strip it back to the bare bones and then start again, that way I know it will be done property

OP
OP
Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
a great blank canvas for a self build, but watch out for worn out running gear as many of these vans have had a hard life. the local to me social services run a fleet of these buses and there are always a couple off the road. suspension and gearbox seem to be weak points.

Yes I had heard they suffer from susspension issues, that is more the information that I am looking for and engine and gearbox issues, if anyone has any advice on what to look out for that would be great

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the engines are the same as fitted in builders vans, delivery vans and motorhomes. pretty reliable if properly maintained and cambelt and oils changed regularly. normally good for 200k, but multiple short trips as social buses do will shorten the life by causing wear and sooting up. clutches also a bit weak due to the large coachbuilt body

get hold of a low miles example with a good service history printout and you will do very well

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Yes I had heard they suffer from susspension issues, that is more the information that I am looking for and engine and gearbox issues, if anyone has any advice on what to look out for that would be great
some of these issues were fixed by extra torsion bars across the rear wheel assemblys.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Any links at allhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-ducato-tri-axle2-8-jtd-motorhome-selfbuild-project-/171120146663?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item27d78e38e7ttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-ducato-tri-axle2-8-jtd-motorhome-selfbuild-project-/171120146663?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item27d78e38e7ttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-ducato-tri-axle2-8-jtd-motorhome-selfbuild-project-/171120146663?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item27d78e38e7terry?

I will try and find it but heres one to look at
Link Removed

Last edited:

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
hi,We have one although its a renault master.Stripping back is a good idea .Its only 21ft long which is easier in car parks etc.Getting lower milage is better as suggested as they weigh 4 tons ours has now done 26,000 miles. good hunting

Attachments

• PICT0182.jpg
    PICT0182.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 42

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back