Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Last week four of us decided to spend a couple of nights in N Wales, so made a beeline for a lumpy field behind Black Rock Sands with a tap, no hookups and a portakabin loo where you could stop for a tenner a night flat rate and watch the rabbits grazing around their burrows in the evenings.

We rounded the corner near Greenacres holiday park and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHH, NOOOOOOOOO!

Field levelled, brand new reception and spotless facilities building, automated access barriers, all hard standing superpitches with water, EHU, aerial sockets, freshly laid turf, newly planted privet hedges between pitches and £24 a night whether you want electricity or not.

The rabbits were nowhere to be seen.

Now don't get me wrong here, it's a very welcoming site if you like that sort of thing, very well appointed, and at £6 a head is still the best local deal for 4 people in one MH, but we like cheap lumpy fields with rabbits. The nearest such spot is further down the lane behind the beach at £7.50 a night per person. When it's just the two of us we'll use that instead. I fear for the future of cheap camping.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Last week four of us decided to spend a couple of nights in N Wales, so made a beeline for a lumpy field behind Black Rock Sands with a tap, no hookups and a portakabin loo where you could stop for a tenner a night flat rate and watch the rabbits grazing around their burrows in the evenings.

We rounded the corner near Greenacres holiday park and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHH, NOOOOOOOOO!

Field levelled, brand new reception and spotless facilities building, automated access barriers, all hard standing superpitches with water, EHU, aerial sockets, freshly laid turf, newly planted privet hedges between pitches and £24 a night whether you want electricity or not.

Now don't get me wrong here, it's a very welcoming site if you like that sort of thing, very well appointed, and at £6 a head is still the best local deal for 4 people in one MH, but we like cheap lumpy fields with rabbits. The nearest such spot is further down the lane behind the beach at £7.50 a night per person. When it's just the two of us we'll use that instead. I fear for the future of cheap camping.

Is that the one on the right with the fishing lake. If so that used to be a great site and I used to get a cheap rate at £100 per month a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The very same, Snowbird. The patch by the entrance where long-termers pitched is still free of upgrading, but somehow I doubt whether the same deal will be available again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Fear. Be afraid very afraid
We will all be forced off the road on to
Expensive sites in the next 20 years
Then change the national anthem too
Money money money it's a rich mans world !!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats another one crossed out of my little black book then. My old Tiffin used to be on there website photos, it was there that long.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
It's what is known as "progress". Why should campers have to put up with silent starlit fields at night when for just £20 extra they could have all electric tarmac and a bar with entertainment.
The next stage is to put up chalets/statics so campers don't have to bring their own vans at all.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We stayed a few days ago on a C&CC CS near Sidmouth, Devon and all there was in the way of facilities was a CDP, fresh water and a reasonably level 2 acre field in the middle of farming countryside. There was even another field before you got to the house. It was a bit awkward to find at first, but well worth a tenner a night. Park where you like in the field and the owners young daughter came round with her dog to collect the money and have a chat. Lovely people.

If anyone is interested they can be contacted at:
Mr T P Selway
Ashton Farm
Linhay
Weston Cross
Sidmouth
Devon
EX10 0PE

01297 680535 or 07790 002689

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I fear for the future of cheap camping.

Cheap really does not work. It clings on by the skin of it's teeth and one glitch and it's gone.

But someone investing in camping, that is good for camping. We need a lot more, that will keep prices reasonable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back