Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
In this months MMM, there is an article on Adult only Sites. Now, this is going to be a contentious subject, but coming as I do from a line of large families where there are always kids about, the thought of going to an adult only site fills me with horror!
Sites that specify no kids or no dogs sums up( to me) all ( well, not quite all) that is wrong with this country's attitude towards children and families and to some extent, dogs.
There is a pub near me that must have at least 10 signs up outside restricting what children can do and where they can go, in what has always been a family pub, right on the beach.
Why can't we take on the European attitude towards families? They seem to love kids and encourage their inclusion in everything.
A good few years ago we went to Portugal where my blond haired blue eyed 3 year old daughter was an instant hit with every restaurant employee who wanted to pick her up, even one of the chefs came out to see her and give her a treat after her meal ( it was a fancy, free, ice cream concoction.)
In the UK, we are ushered into pokey " family" rooms where they offer the kids burgers and other junk.
Now, they aren't allowed into some campsites because people don't want to see or hear kids around by people who buy a house near a school and constantly complain about the noise.
Phew, I feel better now.
Allan

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Horses for courses Allan. Not sure why it should be contentious, I've often used adult only sites and enjoy the peace of quiet, whats the issue with that? Its all about choice. Having done the "Kids Hols" in the past, now as I meander through middle age, I want a bit of "Me time". I thinks thats fair enough. Families sites far outweigh adult only in numbers, so you shouldn't be spoiled for choice or feel left out!

:Smile:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
Nice one Al.

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I can see your point to an extent however sadly there are those that let their children of 'the leash' to ruin others holidays which in turn then forces this kind of restriction amd of course what happens is the likes of yourself and us (we have a relatively well behaved 18 month old) get pigeon holed with those whose children are not well behaved and who allow their children to run wild across others pitches or in restaurants and pubs under tables and all sorts, who seem to think that everyone else should tolerate their childrens rogue behaviour

All this creates a market for adult only campsites which if there wasnt a market or demamd or some would say need they wouldn't survive.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I have 3 grown up children, 8 grandchildren and 2 dogs. Ask me if I occasionally enjoy a child free and/or dog free site.
I thought so.:winky:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Want a family site, go to a family site.
Want an adult only site, go to an adult only site.
Whats the problem?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
To look at this from the opposite end though why should ALL sites cater for children? What is wrong with some sites being adult only? We have an adult only site opposite our workshop and it is adult only for a simple reason, most of the site has been made into a park home "village" which is almost exclusively populated by retired folks, why should they have their peace and quiet destroyed by unknown children running around playing and making noise?

D.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our daughter is now 16 if we go to a family site they charge us for an adult when we book an adult site they say she is a child :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am with you on the kids Allanm but can do without the dogs...

Oh the joy some dog owners seem to get when their little, totally untrained, slightly over sized, hairy rats start yapping at all and sundry...

"Oh look! He is protecting me...!"

Yeah right!

(Obviously not Izzy who has special dispensation...)

JJ :Cool:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It's great that we have such a diverse and wide range of sites to choose from. There is something somewhere to suit everyone.

Sometimes we want peace and quiet, sometimes, when meeting up with friends, we know we will make a bit of noise, whichever we choose our sites accordingly.
No problem there. :thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Oh the joy some dog owners seem to get when their little, totally untrained, slightly over sized, hairy rats start yapping at all and sundry...

Yeah right!

Which Izzy, not mine, she wouldn't protect me from anything, she only loves her ball and her dinner.:Doh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I refer to the original Funster Izzy who hangs out with Bob and Jane. :thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I`m a oldey with young kids-- it took me 52 years to work out what went where :thumb:

I can see it from both sides, I think it`s great when there are lots of kids about on sites for all age groups--up to the age of about 7.

The ones aged between 7 and 18 need a different type of site where the type of facilities' they would want the elderly campers would hate (waterparks-discos----shouting and booze ups---goings ons behind the loos----:winky:

But just once in a while I would like to jump over the fence to the adults only site ,pull up a lounger, sleep (in peace) for a few hours , then get back to where it`s all going on :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In this months MMM, there is an article on Adult only Sites. Now, this is going to be a contentious subject, but coming as I do from a line of large families where there are always kids about, the thought of going to an adult only site fills me with horror!
Sites that specify no kids or no dogs sums up( to me) all ( well, not quite all) that is wrong with this country's attitude towards children and families and to some extent, dogs.
There is a pub near me that must have at least 10 signs up outside restricting what children can do and where they can go, in what has always been a family pub, right on the beach.
Why can't we take on the European attitude towards families? They seem to love kids and encourage their inclusion in everything.
A good few years ago we went to Portugal where my blond haired blue eyed 3 year old daughter was an instant hit with every restaurant employee who wanted to pick her up, even one of the chefs came out to see her and give her a treat after her meal ( it was a fancy, free, ice cream concoction.)
In the UK, we are ushered into pokey " family" rooms where they offer the kids burgers and other junk.
Now, they aren't allowed into some campsites because people don't want to see or hear kids around by people who buy a house near a school and constantly complain about the noise.
Phew, I feel better now.
Allan
TROUBLE IS ALAN NOT ALL CHILDREN ARE AS WELL BEHAVED AS YOURS! Some parents like some dog owners have no control and get all a bad name. BUSBY:Smile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Be honest, how many of us love having our grandchildren for a visit, but it's so peaceful and quiet when the house is ours again.

Last campsite we were on, there about 4 kids about 8-10 years old shouting a screaming around our pitch, quite a bit away from where their pitch was, so their parents had the peace and quiet. We had to politely ask them to go somewhere else to play cops and robbers.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nigel and Pamala

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Been there, done that with our children on family sites, they are now adults and as others have said we like our peace and quiet.

Unfortunately its always the same, the minority spoil things. We recently picked up our van from Cheshire, stayed on family site and children were still playing at 10pm with their parents saying - yer on yer olidays so go off en play whilst they continued drinking their wine. We didn't stay the second night and got a refund with the owner saying they had had loads of complaints.

Next night spent at another family site, lovely children next to us, came and chatted to dog and invited us to join their barbeque (the 12yr old offering to call for us :thumb:), as it happened the heavens opened and said barbeque didn't happen but they were all polite and playing considerately.

Given a choice, child free sites win.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I said it would be contentious. But I suppose as we haven't used a UK campsite since 1993, obviously things (and kids) have changed since then.
I still wouldn't fancy an adult only site though but I understand there are lots of people who would.
I suppose the next step is men or women only.....
:getmecoat:

Allan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

Yeah right!

Protecting me Hah!. At the first sign of danger Meg hides behind me.:roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A site in Shrewsbury has an adults only area, which seems a sensible compromise to me:thumb:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Or, (not quite a camping site) go to an Adult Music Weekend at Butlins and see all the adults acting like kids !!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have been there done that got older and now my needs have changed I only use Adult only sites:thumb:

Nothing wrong with well behaved children If you can find some:ROFLMAO:

I did not pay good money for a van to be used as a goalpost or cricket boundary or to have kids wobbling around it on bikes all of this has happened on a family site

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I refuse point blank to go on any site except adult only sites.

I want my peace and quiet. Call me a grumpy old git if you want I can live with that so long as you do it quietly :winky::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
i refuse point blank to go on any site except adult only sites.

I want my peace and quiet. Call me a grumpy old git if you want i can live with that so long as you do it quietly :wink::rofl1:

grumpy old git

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surly there is room for both ,if you are on a family holiday you need a child friendly site, but if there is just the two of you what's wrong with wanting a bit of piece and quite , whether young or old

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I go to either and not bothered .My kids are all grown up but i still like to watch others enjoying themselves,its a great thing.However if i was on an adults only site i would be myself there too and if my neighbours thought i was a little loud etc (although im not) they could always move,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back